Why become a member? ×

Bill Fitzmaurice builder

mrtcat

Hi all,

Just a feeler to see if there's any interest out there.

I'm toying with the idea of becoming an authorized Bill Fitzmaurice franchise builder and wanted to see whether it's worth giving it a whirl. I'm an experienced cabinet maker by trade and have now completed several BFM projects to a high standard. I'd definitely encourage potential buyers to inspect my previous builds as a guide to the level of my work. If i do decide to go ahead I'll also build a web site to show my portfolio.

Basically there's a very reasonable set up fee and a monthly fee to pay to become a builder but there's a limit of how many builds I could do a year (to be fair the limit is higher than I could manage). I would be completely responsible for my own standards and customer relations but I'd be allowed to build his designs and sell them at a price based around the guidelines that Bill recommends which will be a fraction of the price of equivalent commercially available stuff.

It would certainly not be my sole income but would potentially supplement my earnings a little. I would probably want just a couple of builds a month so I could give them my full attention. I'd initially ask for material costs up front (these would be dictated by the spec required) then a balance to be paid when the customer collects and is satisfied with the finished product. The aim would be to allow people who don't have the skills or time to own some of Bill's designs which many of you know are quite special. I really really enjoy the building process so it would be a better way of earning than getting a second job at Tescos lol.

Any suggestions or feedback would be gratefully received. I'm not decided yet but will see what the general feeling is.

Edited by mrtcat

I think this would be a great service to offer.
There's BFM designs I've drooled at but don't have the space or tools to make any so there must be others in my boat!
A website to peruse your work and the designs offered would be spot on too.

Cheers,
Jon

These are stunning cabs, great sounding. Only thing I would say is that I have one for sale on this very forum, I priced it ludicrously low to move it on to a fellow basschatter, included a roqsolid case, no takers!

I am amazed it hasn't gone, because of what it is and how good it is, and the little I was after for it, but it might serve as a cautionary note in these uncertain times.

Either way, best of luck!

Thanks for the input guys, all points are noted.

Should stress that I'm not going to try to make a living from this as I have a decent day job already. It's just that I'd like to offer the service and use it to fund holidays / new gear etc whilst enjoying the building. The limit on builds allowed by the franchise would never allow it to become my sole income.

It's interesting to hear that vmaxblues has struggled to sell a cab as they're very good sounding kit. I wonder if the fact that prospective buyers could choose their cab and spec might help.

The best sounding small to mid sized venue in my town (Dundee) has a BFM PA... 2xDR280 per side and a sh*teload of subs. We played the other night and the low end was incredible. Much respect to Bills designs!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1269067' date='Jun 14 2011, 07:26 PM']Thanks for the input guys, all points are noted.

Should stress that I'm not going to try to make a living from this as I have a decent day job already. It's just that I'd like to offer the service and use it to fund holidays / new gear etc whilst enjoying the building. The limit on builds allowed by the franchise would never allow it to become my sole income.

It's interesting to hear that vmaxblues has struggled to sell a cab as they're very good sounding kit. I wonder if the fact that prospective buyers could choose their cab and spec might help.[/quote]

I would keep a bare minimum of stock (if any, in fact) and maybe have a couple of demo models for those nearby to try.
Otherwise, I would build to order, taking a deposit in advance. Offering a variety of colours/finishes would be cool too.
Outside of these criteria, it might be a good idea to try and establish a realistic lead time from receipt of order to completion of cabinet.
There's nothing worse than ordering something and being kept waiting longer than you were told it would take...
Good Luck, though!

If I wasnt struggling for space I wouldnt let it go.

If you guys havent tried one, you need to, they are so focussed on the sound, truly great cabs.

If we had someone to build to order that would make great sense, so good luck to you.

Pricing / costs are going to be a serious factor, particularly in these times I thought about building a fEARful, however was able to purchase a used Barefaced Big One for less than parts cost. When I started to build BFM Omni 15 a rather nice example came up on BC for less than parts cost.

Look long and hard at which models you offer and make sure you can make a profit. Business is tough at the moment as my other half ois noticing. Alex has succeeded, so can you.

Good luck if you go ahead.

I'd be surprised if it worked out selling to PA/hire companies in the UK tbh regardless of the quality of the product. For better or worse, these companies tend to want/need the sound systems that are specced on riders and that will be your turbosound, meyer, nexo etc and at the low/small end Mackie, RCF, JBL which are more known quantities. Also warranties come into play.
Maybe better with bass cabs but the market doesn't seem too buoyant at the moment.

Unless its a small venue install then PA hire companies are gonna need brand names to appeal to their customers.

*edit - just saw the post above says more or less the same, oops*

Edited by NJW

Has anyone else ever wondered what would happy if barefaced and BFM teamed together to make a range of uber-cabs?

Good luck to mrtcat if you do go this route, think of it as whether you'd be able to average a new order every 10 days. Perhaps you could see if anyone wants to make a pre-order to start you going.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1269605' date='Jun 15 2011, 07:37 AM']Has anyone else ever wondered what would happy if barefaced and BFM teamed together to make a range of uber-cabs?[/quote]
I think we'd all have to start looking out for low-flying pigs. :)

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='1269572' date='Jun 15 2011, 05:21 AM']I'd suggest you ask the same question on FinnBass. Thumper on there used to be a BFM builder and will tell you all about the timewasters that come out of the woodwork when attempting something like this.[/quote]

I bought, and still use, a pair of Thumper-built Omni 10.5s. These are great cabs - there is still a demand for them and a shortage of people with the ability and resources to build them.
I don't think you'll have any shortage of orders - probably more than you can reasonably handle, which I think is why Thumper stopped being an authorized builder.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1269875' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:41 AM']I bought, and still use, a pair of Thumper-built Omni 10.5s. These are great cabs - there is still a demand for them and a shortage of people with the ability and resources to build them.
I don't think you'll have any shortage of orders - probably more than you can reasonably handle, which I think is why Thumper stopped being an authorized builder.[/quote]

I'm not quite sure why you quoted me. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that any BCers could possibly be timewasters or tyrekickers.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='1269286' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:54 PM']If I wasnt struggling for space I wouldnt let it go.

If you guys havent tried one, you need to, they are so focussed on the sound, truly great cabs.

If we had someone to build to order that would make great sense, so good luck to you.[/quote]

I looked and considered, but you're not local and I don't really have spare cash right now - otherwise I'd have been in contact.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='1270771' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:30 PM']I'm not quite sure why you quoted me. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that any BCers could possibly be timewasters or tyrekickers.[/quote]

Sorry - that wasn't my intention either. It was more to do with the mention of Thumper's name as an ex authorized builder that the tyre kicking thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm gonna give it a whirl so have set the ball rolling with Bill. I should be registered soon so let me know if you want a quote for having something built. I will make anything on the site (www.billfitzmaurice.com) with the exception of the home audio/home cinema stuff as thats more furniture like. All builds will come with photo's to show the birthing process.

On an additional note I've had a lot of requests to build some fearful projects too. I'm checking with greenboy regarding the legalities of building his designs for money. If I get the all clear from there I'll offer commissioned builds of their designs too.

Thanks again