Why become a member? ×

Decent central London venues that can be hired

Clarky

Given the rather disappointing turn taken by the 'Bands wanted - London and Surrey' thread, I am hoping that we can arrange a BassChat triple header of Rattlin Bone, The Jetsonics and Dick Venom in an alternative venue. Can anyone recommend a decent central London venue that can be hired and has decent PA, sound engineer etc? I know the Purple Turtle in Camden used to be available for hire and I will be contacting them, but are there any others you know of? Cheers Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1266527' date='Jun 12 2011, 07:59 PM']Given the rather disappointing turn taken by the 'Bands wanted - London and Surrey' thread, I am hoping that we can arrange a BassChat triple header of Rattlin Bone, The Jetsonics and Dick Venom in an alternative venue. Can anyone recommend a decent central London venue that can be hired and has decent PA, sound engineer etc? I know the Purple Turtle in Camden used to be available for hire and I will be contacting them, but are there any others you know of? Cheers Clarky[/quote]

When my old band used to host all dayers we always went for the Turtle. Cheaper on Sundays too. :)

[quote name='davebass66' post='1266773' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:01 PM']Try upstairs at the Garage Islington. Not totally central but decent sound and decent rates[/quote]
Is the sound up there OK nowadays? I haven't been since it was refurbished but prior to that it always had terrible bass boom going on.

Always a fun place to see a band though.

[quote name='3V17C' post='1267108' date='Jun 13 2011, 11:15 AM']slightly related... theres a new facebook group called 'London Live Blacklist (Good n bad London Promoters, Bands & Venues)' which could be handy for some peeps who are looking to gig in the big smoko!

peace

C[/quote]
Link?

[url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-Live-Blacklist-Good-n-bad-London-Promoters-Bands-Venues/187959254586136?sk=wall&filter=2#!/pages/London-Live-Blacklist-Good-n-bad-London-Promoters-Bands-Venues/187959254586136?sk=wall"]London-Live-Blacklist-Good-n-bad-London-Promoters-Bands-Venues[/url]

[quote name='3V17C' post='1267124' date='Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM'][url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-Live-Blacklist-Good-n-bad-London-Promoters-Bands-Venues/187959254586136?sk=wall&filter=2#!/pages/London-Live-Blacklist-Good-n-bad-London-Promoters-Bands-Venues/187959254586136?sk=wall"]London-Live-Blacklist-Good-n-bad-London-Promoters-Bands-Venues[/url][/quote]
Ta!

What size are you looking for? I've worked both as band and promoter with (in order of capacity):

Bush Hall
ULU
Islington Academy
o2 Indigo
Shepherds Bush Empire

All are great venues with very supportive staff and crew (which is a must IMO for organising one-off gigs like this) but with rapidly escalating hire costs. I'd happily talk you through the capacities/prices/pro's and con's if you want to PM me.

I also have good connections to the Barfly world which includes Borderline, Camden Barfly, Highbury Garage, Kentish Town Forum. They are smaller capacity than many of the above which might suit (?).

Nick