Why become a member? ×

FYI... Fender Adam Clayton P bass!

Noisyjon

You can only really go onstage wearing this thing around your neck if you are -

[size=3]1- A multimillion selling rock god[/size]

[size=5]OR [/size]

[size=3]2- Playing northern workingman clubs every night[/size]

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1254409' date='Jun 2 2011, 06:51 PM']I follow Fender Custom Shop on twitter...
They've just announced an Adam Clayton precision bass, looks a bit pants, but nicer than the reverso!

I know as a player he divides opinion, I think he suits U2 well, and it's a bit too easy to slate him, I appreciate his playing, just not his taste in basses, or his singer...

[url="https://twitter.com/fendercustom/status/76084584307113985"]https://twitter.com/fendercustom/status/76084584307113985[/url]

In other news, this bass is fit

[url="https://twitter.com/fendercustom/status/75693655033249792"]https://twitter.com/fendercustom/status/75693655033249792[/url]

So, what will Warwick boys be least chuffed about today, how many reversos have they sold anyhow?![/quote]

Agree on the AC divides opinion. Personally, i think his playing suits U2 perfectly, and don't think they would be the same without him. I like bass players to hold down the rythym section of a band, and not try and be too clever, or complex, i like his playing. Listen to the bass line on their song Vertigo (I think thats what its called, its the opening track on the ...Atom Bomb" LP), its very deeeeep indeed.

The other thing i like about him, is that he is one of the coolest bass players in the world.

Also, just imagine being paid as much as he does, to play those lines 20 nights every 2 years!!

On the gold sparkle issue, definitely a 'marmite' thing there. The original '64's are super rare indeed. Not my cup of tea though.

Ah, I can imagine the phone call now....

Hello, The Edge speaking.... Oh, Hi Adam, how's it going? Oh no, those basschatters are taking the p*ss again? Ok, have you tried checking your bank balance? .... You have, and it's not worked.... Don't worry, the cheques from Fender should start rolling in soon. I'll have a couple of cases of Bollinger and some supermodels sent to your hotel suite after tonights gig, that should put a smile back on your face. Oh, and don't forget to bring a change of pants with you..... you know what happened last time we played a sold-out 40,000 seat arena..... that limo ride to the hotel was really uncomfortable for all of us....

Rick, I totally agree, I've always defended AC, he's a bit of an inspiration to me, and should be to more people, he's made countless millions and plays to millions of adoring fans every year, but I bet he can go down the pub without most people batting an eyelid.
Also, Cliff Williams of AC/DC is mentioned as a hero a lot, whereas Clayton is regularly panned, as far as I see it they both fill the space a bassist SHOULD and have made a mint doing so.
The bedroom slappers and tappers should take heed!

I think this bass would be more attractive with a non matching headstock and normal white pearl blocks, rather than the abalone...bit garish, but this is reverso/banana bass man!

His candy green 70's jazz was a beauty though, wonder if that's coming soon?!

Anyhow rant over, 4 String thing has it bang on, haha!

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='risingson' post='1254807' date='Jun 3 2011, 12:24 AM']How many different types of P-Bass do Fender need? They all sound almost exactly the same, the only difference is that you'll pay out the nose for one of these as opposed to something like a U.S or Japanese P.[/quote]

How many types of bluejeans do Levi`s need? They all look almost exactly the same and you pay much for for those than other bluejeans eg those from japan :)
sry couldn`t resist :)

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1254827' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:33 PM']How many types of bluejeans do Levi`s need? They all look almost exactly the same and you pay much for for those than other bluejeans eg those from japan :)
sry couldn`t resist :)[/quote]

Ah you see I don't get Levi's jeans! I buy Japanese denim from a shop in Sweden every year at a snip of the price... 16oz denim, good indigo dye and the fit I want. I have the same issues with all sorts of companies that do this. I love Fenders, classic design that are totally functional and very usable but their product range is ridiculous now.

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1254804' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:21 PM']+1
As much as i hate him, i like the bass :)
And i hate him pretty much :)[/quote]

Isn't hate a pretty strong word? - on what basis do you 'hate' him? You may not like his playing or his band, but to 'hate' someone...that's pretty rough.

[quote name='fender73' post='1255061' date='Jun 3 2011, 10:12 AM']Isn't hate a pretty strong word? - on what basis do you 'hate' him? You may not like his playing or his band, but to 'hate' someone...that's pretty rough.[/quote]

yes you are right..i hate strong words as well :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1255084' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:35 AM']I'm wondering what the difference in price would be, between this bass, and one made from the same parts but without the AC link?[/quote]

I'm guessing it would be in Masterbuilt territory so around the £4k mark?

[quote name='risingson' post='1254807' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:24 PM']How many different types of P-Bass do Fender need? They all sound almost exactly the same, the only difference is that you'll pay out the nose for one of these as opposed to something like a U.S or Japanese P.[/quote]
Fender are the world leader in terms of sales... but in order to maintain this position and remain competitive, this has lead to them being basically a fashion brand... a vast amount of their sales are due to people buying an image not the essence of the instrument (and certainly not the quality) hence all the different style versions of the same meat 'n' veg. :)

[quote name='fender73' post='1255061' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:12 AM']Isn't hate a pretty strong word? - on what basis do you 'hate' him? You may not like his playing or his band, but to 'hate' someone...that's pretty rough.[/quote]
Come off it. Of course we mean we hate his over hyped band (best rock band in the world - my arse) and infantile playing.
It's a bit lame to try and allude that we actually hate a guy we've quite obviously never met (unless your after a "Basschat let's jump on the high morals bandwagon flamer"... we've not had one for a while. :) )....

.... although by the look of him, I probably would. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1255148' date='Jun 3 2011, 10:24 AM']Fender are the world leader in terms of sales... but in order to maintain this position and remain competitive, this has lead to them being basically a fashion brand... a vast amount of their sales are due to people buying an image not the essence of the instrument (and certainly not the quality) hence all the different style versions of the same meat 'n' veg. :)[/quote]

I think there's 2 way's of looking at this. there's the purists view, that Fender's, made by true craftsmen, and luthiers, like they were 'back in the day', hand finished, and generally made with care, and attention to detail, were desirable, and remain so to this day. Vintage fenders are highly prized, not just for their collectibility, and rarity, but also because they play, and sound fantastic. the Custom Shop are, in their own way, trying to give that level of detail, and time.

fender have also given everyone, despite budget restrictions, the opportunity to own a Fender. Obviously the price will dictate the quality, and some of the chinese/indonesian fenders do lack some of the finesse, but they have made a decsiion to make their brand accessible to all, which has made them the Worlds biggest instrument manufacturer.

I think everyone recognises that a Chinese Precision for £120 brand new, is not going to compare to a £3000 Masterbuilt Model. Most manufacturers, even the high-end ones, have almost all succumbed to the eastern manufacturing lure, and now offer far cheaper models as a result.

Because Fender are now so big, you can buy the very best thing they make, all handmade etc, for less than £3k, or around that figure, which i think is reasonable, compared with some other basses at that kind price.

There is a demand for signature guitars, which Fender started in the 80's, everyone is on the bandwagon, and Fender are cheaper than all of them. they are also trying to attract beginners with these models, take the Mike Dirnt model P-Bass. Its mexican, and you can get one for £250. If you don't like the AC Gold Edition, then don't buy it, personally i dont like it either, but i bet they sell them all.

Oh, and No, i don't work for Fender, i just think they do things better than most. Something for everyone.

what was the price of a new,say 1962 Precision,and how would that price sit in todays Fender line up ?
I dont think that many Fender basses,apart from the really early ones,are particularly rare,but to find an unmolested one in good cosmetic condition is probably a lot more difficult.
AC,could have been replaced at any time in his career,but hasnt.Im no fan of U2 for the fact that they just dont do it for me,but from what ive heard of them,i cant see anything wrong with his playing.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1255180' date='Jun 3 2011, 10:58 AM']what was the price of a new,say 1962 Precision,and how would that price sit in todays Fender line up ?
I dont think that many Fender basses,apart from the really early ones,are particularly rare,but to find an unmolested one in good cosmetic condition is probably a lot more difficult.
AC,could have been replaced at any time in his career,but hasnt.Im no fan of U2 for the fact that they just dont do it for me,but from what ive heard of them,i cant see anything wrong with his playing.[/quote]

I have a 1957 Fender Catalogue & Price list. A Fender Precision in 1957 cost $225. After a little research (So don't shoot me), the average house price in California in 1957 was $4600, which works out at around 5% of the average house price. Todays market, with the average UK house price at £164k, would make a new fender P Bass at £8,000. Not sure what this tells you though?? This is not really comparable though, because at the time, in '57, there were no other basses available, so there is no comparism, as to whether Fenders were expensive, or cheap. They certainly didnt cheap out on quality parts in the 50's, and everything was hand finsihed. It wasnt until the mid 60's when they got cheap alternatives of almost all components, and started the 'production line' system of mass production.