Why become a member? ×

Electro Music

Musicman20

My drummer wanted to pick up some hi-hats and my guitarist wanted to check out the electro-acoustics.

I had no intention of buying but I thought Id see what bass gear they had in.

Around 3 years ago or less, they had a full floor dedicated to bass. Lots of Markbass gear, lots of different Fenders/Musicmans and a few more unusual basses.

Now, virtually nothing. It's been combined into 1/4 of the area where the guitars are.

They had a few Markbass amps/cabs, and about 2 basses that would have interested me, but the rest was budget gear and second hand.

Has the internet really affected stores this badly?!

Edited by Musicman20

Well, yes. Shops have effectively had to stop carrying the outlandish gear to get by. Selling boutique basses is really an online only proposition now too. I'd love a Luthier's Access Group type thing in this country but there is just no market for it. GAK and Thomann have squeezed the competition out!

I've bought a few bits of kit from Electro over the years and they always had plenty to choose from. Shame if they've gone downhill, though I did read in the paper today that Ukelele sales are now outstripping guitars...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1250945' date='May 30 2011, 11:18 PM']Well, yes. Shops have effectively had to stop carrying the outlandish gear to get by. Selling boutique basses is really an online only proposition now too. I'd love a Luthier's Access Group type thing in this country but there is just no market for it. GAK and Thomann have squeezed the competition out![/quote]

+1000 Real shame

B

[quote name='paul_5' post='1251932' date='May 31 2011, 07:30 PM']I've bought a few bits of kit from Electro over the years and they always had plenty to choose from. Shame if they've gone downhill, though I did read in the paper today that Ukelele sales are now outstripping guitars...[/quote]
At least they've got the right number of strings...

Otherwise, playing bass is about as fashionable as a

Warwick.

Shame, I made the journey from Glasgow to Doncaster many years back to trade some gear. IIRC the bass bloke was called Dave and a damn nice bloke too.
Slightly OT, the owners daughter ( I think ) was lurking around and although very trendily turned out, she was most definately not shall we say dressed for a cold day. Made my day !! Very nice too. Mrs BBS was NOT impressed.
S

On the same track, I was in McCormacks music in Glasgow on saturday and they used to have a decent amount of stock but all they had was about 10 basses and most of them were a brand called G2 and a few Jim Deacon`s.

I walked in, had a look, kept walking and was out again in seconds! Having said that, I always thought of it as a expensive shop even when they had a few of the usual brands on display.

Jez

After many years Dave has left Electro to go his own way (hence the bass downturn I suspect), he has some nice stock in from the states (at his home at the mo), you can email him for a list... he was always the spirit of electro for me (along with Pod who now seems to be running the show a bit)...I dealt with him many times, he sold me my first proper bass amp and I've bought and traded basses with him for years.

PM me for his email add if you want it - be sure to tell him you got it from me

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1252149' date='May 31 2011, 10:35 PM']This surprises me, as I've been advertising for ukulele players for my uke-based U2 tribute band (Uke2) and had no replies![/quote]

People buy them. They don't play them.