Why become a member? ×

Shuker basses - opinions please!

pluckedout

Hi all

I'm just about to take the plunge and order a Shuker custom build (maybe 2 actually if I can't make my mind up!) and wanted to get some feedback from you guys; are they as good as I hear they are? Also what's the resale value like? I realise the more non-standard it is the less it will probably be worth but just in case I ever do need to sell it be interested to hear feedback on how other people have got on selling them.

I was originally going to go for another Status after playing them fairly exclusively for 16 years but have changed my mind for various reasons and have heard great things about Jon's work.

Cheers

Joe

shuker basses are by far the best crafted basses in terms of workmanship, ballance and attention to detail I have ever seen, owned and played, workmanship is second to none but resale value is very poor, I have sold all 3 of my custom made basses at a great loss. perhaps should have kept em, hindsight is a wonderfull thing. I have reservations with the customer service though, but my peers speak very highly in this respect, perhaps its me.

City of steel is a nice place to viit, lots of natural beauity, countryside and.....................

Regards

Mark

Really pleased with mine, bought it from Homer three months ago, and have played it extensively since, in fact tonight. He modified it with Wizard pickups and an East Deluxe which I can recommend. I paid a grand second-hand and I know the original owner who commissioned it must have paid twice that. I bought it on a whim from feedback on here and I am very impressed, enough to consider ordering one myself. This bass was ordered with 21 frets and not what is the norm now 24. This I feel is better allows more room on the body to alternate your plucking position, I played a Fender P for years and this feels right again. Just a thought. Any new bass will lose half its value just like a new Car.

Edited by deepbass5

If you're thinking of ordering custom, Shuker if one of the very best ive seen, up there with Sei, Alembic and Fodera, i'll be comissioning him to build me something at some point in the next year or two. I wouldnt be taking resale value into consideration though, as a general rule their resale value will be terrible in comparison to mainstream instruments. Custom instruments should be for a lifetime IMHO. If you're going down this route, check out some of shukers basses for yourself, then make a decision. He usually has some in various stages of construction at his workshop so maybe arrange a visit?

I've played a fair few of them, they've all be top notch but I've never felt any affinity to them. I find them a little to 'spaced out' and flat to look at (example [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tnstd5afra.jpg"]here[/url] and [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tncustxboda.jpg"]here[/url]) and the aesthetics put me off investigating them in depth.

[quote name='Machines' post='1239994' date='May 22 2011, 09:08 AM']I've played a fair few of them, they've all be top notch but I've never felt any affinity to them. I find them a little to 'spaced out' and flat to look at (example [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tnstd5afra.jpg"]here[/url] and [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tncustxboda.jpg"]here[/url]) and the aesthetics put me off investigating them in depth.[/quote]

I would generally say the same to be honest. I've preferred my Seis by some margin, but its all down to the individual. I'd try and play a few before you jump in. There are lots of luthiers out there so pick the one you feel the best connection with.

Jons workmanship is second to none, he has an amazing eye for detail and will build exactly what you want, as for retail values, what is the point of having a custum bass built for you and then selling it? take your time deciding what your sound and style really needs, research all the different woods ,hardware etc make the right choices and you will not want to sell them ever.
As for aftersales service, jon recently spent a whole afternoon and following morning setting up and fettling my basses for me with no complaints as they are a matched pair and I,m a bit anal when it comes to getting them set up right .
:-)

Have you played many Shukers?

Whether you think they are any good or not is entirely subjective and only you can answer that by playing some and deciding for your self. I still haven't played a bass from Mr Shuker that I've liked - there's nothing really wrong with them - they just don't suit what I want. If I was considering buying a bass from a British luthier I'd rather have something from [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]ACG[/url], [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/"]Gus[/url] or [url="http://www.seibass.com/"]Sei[/url] - but that's only my opinion.

As for their resale value. Personally I would never consider a custom made bass if I thought that I might need to sell it at some point. For me the whole point of having something custom built is that it is personal to you and because a conventional mass-produced bass doesn't do all the things that you want. IME from reading the various threads that have cropped on here over the years people who order a custom built bass with half an eye on the resale value end up making too many compromises and in the end find themselves not completely happy with the instrument. The next thing you know it's up for sale...

If you want a custom built bass order the one that you know you want (not the one you think you might want) and make sure that you get exactly what you want and live with the consequences that unless Shuker goes the way of Wal you will never get back very much of what it cost should you have to sell. Otherwise spend some more time trying out existing mass-produced basses to find one that is more to your tastes.

Shuker basses are superb. I had a 6 string headless made that I had to sell on as I needed some cash in a hurry otherwise I'd still have it.

I didn't loose a bundle either when I sold mine. Workmanship was second to none, right up there with Sei and at a fraction of the cost.

Custom builds are always subjective as are different luthiers. ACG have never floated my boat, but there are others that love them, which is great.

All I can say is Jon will build you a bass to the highest of standards and you won't be disappointed.

I dont think you can compare Shuker to Fodera or Sei basses as far as build is concerned but thats not me being unfair because the Shukers cost less. They are nice basses that I would concider owning but second to none I would argue against at least 5 brands to my knowledge for fit and finish all of which costing twice as much so I would say second to none for the money would be a better description.

I can't argue with much of the above, I still have a Shuker Jazz 5-string that Jon built for me and I have also owned and sold a number of Sei Basses that were custom built for me too. Here's my opinions....

The Shuker is my day-to-day gigging bass. I never visited the Shuker workshop and made all my choices via email and telephone calls with Jon. He was happy to try and design a bass around my ideas, so it's a "set-neck" Jazz 5-string as opposed to thru-neck or bolt-on but with a heel like you see on Fodera basses. I wanted the body chambered to reduce the weight, I wanted a sparkle finish with red-block inlays on the neck and he was happy to advise and accomodate. What was even better was, when I received the bass and I didn't like the neck profile he took it back and reshaped and refinished it, as well as changing the red blocks to white as they also didn't look quite right. All free of charge! It's now the bass that I was exactly after.

The Sei's were also brilliant basses and, dare I say it more like pieces of furniture. In my opinion, they were more precisely built than the Shukers and that's not knocking Jon Shuker's work as it's off the highest standard. However, I did think Martin stuck more to standard design, so he wouldn't make a set-neck for example or a slighlty smaller style body than his template Jazz basses. They were definitely more delicate basses and required the neck to be adjusted more often (that was all 3 or 4 of them) than my Shuker. I think Shuker put graphite bars in the neck to keep them more stable.

As for resale, I always thought I'd keep my first Sei and quickly realised that it's the build that's the drug not the bass itself. If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it but it's a learning curve too so all your choices might not be what you expected and you may in a year or two's time want to try again. I guess that's the big difference between buying a pre-built bass and ordering a custom. You'll probably lose more money on resale than you would if you bought a new bass, but I'd say don;t let that put you off.

My best advice would be, get your first bass built and learn from that experience if you're planning on getting a second one already.

Anyway, hope some of that helps.

This might sound like a strange statement but IMO the standard of workmanship is probably the least important thing when choosing a custom bass builder.

Be this I mean that if you go to any of the British luthiers who's names come up regularly on here like: ACG, GB, Gus, Jaydee, Overwater, RIM, Sei, Shuker or Status, you are going to get a fantastically well made bass with exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail. However none of this means that it's going to be the right bass for you.

To the OP: What is that you want from your new bass that your existing bass(es) can't supply. And what is it about Shuker basses that you like?

Edited by BigRedX

I think if you want a bass with specific features to you that will be very well made then try a few Shukers out and take the plunge if you like the way they play. As someone else said, if you're sitting there drawing up a spec sheet wondering if every option you pick will affect the re-sale value, walk away and buy retail as you're not buying custom for the right reasons.

As for opinions, I've played both Finbars and loved his p-bass copy. Whether I'd drop that kind of money on any bass is questionable but for the price you pay for MIA Fenders, I'd go Shuker every time.

Thanks for all the responses guys; in answer to a few questions:

1. I am considering getting one made without have played one, but I will be being very specific about what I want, in terms of measurements, neck profile, etc etc. Only because I don't get up to the North very much anymore, despite having grown up in that area. I'm planning to order one then if I like it I may order another :-)
2. I'm very happy with my current basses but am now playing 5 strings almost exclusively. What I'm planning to order (first) is a semi hollow fretless P bass with Dimarzio P + Graphtech Ghost pickups so I can get both a double bass-ish sound and a classic fretless P sound. I was originally going to order a Status Electro having been a Status fan for a long time but they're not building them at the moment and their new model is unlikely to be ready this year. Having heard good things about Jon I thought I priced some options up with him and it will actually be cheaper and quicker to get something that is exactly built to my specs.
Is virtually impossible to find some thing similar off the peg - closest I've come is a SpectorCore but they all seem to be lined fretlesses, and seem massively overpriced in the UK.
3. I don't intend to ever sell a custom order bass, but then I never intended to sell some of my other basses - my 2nd Status was a custom order and I'm now selling that as it's a 4 string. As I can't predict the future (yet) I need to at least consider resale value. The sensible part of me says "buy something off the peg just in case (and probably second hand to start with)" whereas another part of me says "get what the hell you want". Also, shifting the existing custom order bass makes me feel like I deserve to have another in its place.
4. Shuker prices seem to be relatively reasonable when compared with other manufacturers
5. I've hankered after a few custom ideas based on Fender basses - Fender's custom shop prices are completely unjustifiable so if I can get the look I'm after for a third of the price then it makes sense to do so.

Having said all that if I can find a decent fretless 5 second hand first then I may go for that instead!

[quote name='pluckedout' post='1240255' date='May 22 2011, 12:41 PM']....Having said all that if I can find a decent fretless 5 second hand first then I may go for that instead!....[/quote]
Look in the FS section.

Edit: Some pro players use Shuker but many more pro players use Overwater. I'd start looking there.

Edited by chris_b

I have a couple of Shuker Basses (have owned a 3rd as well) so I'll be happy to chip in. Answers ***'d below.

[quote name='pluckedout' post='1240255' date='May 22 2011, 12:41 PM']Thanks for all the responses guys; in answer to a few questions:[/quote]

1. I am considering getting one made without have played one, but I will be being very specific about what I want, in terms of measurements, neck profile, etc etc. Only because I don't get up to the North very much anymore, despite having grown up in that area. I'm planning to order one then if I like it I may order another :-)

*** If you know exactly what you want with respect to neck carve and dimensions then you are definitely heading in the right direction. A custom bass can be anything you want it to be, but you have to communicate that with the Luthier so they fully understand what your exact needs are. I think experience with playing lots of different basses is more important than 'playing a particular custom Shuker' - because each Shuker *could* be so different from each other. Some may pick up my bass and hate it because of the close string spacing - but for me it's something I cant live without - it's a very personal thing for sure.

2. I'm very happy with my current basses but am now playing 5 strings almost exclusively. What I'm planning to order (first) is a semi hollow fretless P bass with Dimarzio P + Graphtech Ghost pickups so I can get both a double bass-ish sound and a classic fretless P sound. I was originally going to order a Status Electro having been a Status fan for a long time but they're not building them at the moment and their new model is unlikely to be ready this year. Having heard good things about Jon I thought I priced some options up with him and it will actually be cheaper and quicker to get something that is exactly built to my specs.
Is virtually impossible to find some thing similar off the peg - closest I've come is a SpectorCore but they all seem to be lined fretlesses, and seem massively overpriced in the UK.

*** True - Sometimes, I think Jon is absolutely crazy. I should ignore the prices on his website, cos generally speaking he WAY undercharges people for the quality of his work. That's not just being biased, I've heard it time and time again from Shuker owners. I like your idea about the fretless and Jon's Artist basses are just lovely!

3. I don't intend to ever sell a custom order bass, but then I never intended to sell some of my other basses - my 2nd Status was a custom order and I'm now selling that as it's a 4 string. As I can't predict the future (yet) I need to at least consider resale value. The sensible part of me says "buy something off the peg just in case (and probably second hand to start with)" whereas another part of me says "get what the hell you want". Also, shifting the existing custom order bass makes me feel like I deserve to have another in its place.

*** G.A.S!!! We all suffer! It's crazy, I could justify what car to buy in an instant, but when it comes to 'if I should allow myself to spend XYZ on a piece of Bass gear' I probably anguish over it for days!! - I think if you do your homework and you know exactly what you want, then take the plunge. - I knew that my two were going to be 'for life' so as an extra measure, I've engineered enough personal stuff in to them to give them a really low resale value - so it'd be stupid to get rid of them anyway - but then, if you could be me, playing my basses, you'd know they're keepers ;o) YAY!

4. Shuker prices seem to be relatively reasonable when compared with other manufacturers

*** In comparison to those he's rubbing shoulders with in the industry, his prices are very reasonable - Sometimes I wonder if that sends an message to those who are not familiar with Shuker basses that he's 'not as good' as the more expensive Luthiers because he's cheaper? - Well, one thing is for sure, deciding to not base himself in London means his overheads are a lot lower! So I think his prices are about lesser costs to him, not a lesser quality for us.

5. I've hankered after a few custom ideas based on Fender basses - Fender's custom shop prices are completely unjustifiable so if I can get the look I'm after for a third of the price then it makes sense to do so.

*** Simon Rix and JJ Burnell seem to be over the moon with their Shuker takes on that 'P bass classic' - and to be fair, they could have probably gotten a free one from Fender rather than buy from Jon which speaks volumes in my book.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1240271' date='May 22 2011, 12:55 PM']Look in the FS section.

Edit: Some pro players use Shuker but many more pro players use Overwater. I'd start looking there.[/quote]

Thanks, yep I have been. Not found anything suitable so far.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1240263' date='May 22 2011, 12:47 PM']Well that seems to make a fair bit of sense (except where you used the word "quicker" for a Shuker build).

Where are you based? I'm sure someone nearby will have a Shuker you can have a play on. They don't all play the same obviously but it would give you a rough idea.[/quote]

Am in Salisbury - if anyone is nearby with one then I'd love to try it out.

pluckedout,

Interesting answers...

As one of the Shuker nay-sayers I had fallen in love with several of the pictures on the Shuker website, but despite being pretty tolerant about things like neck profile and string spacing when I actually got to try the basses I found that they just didn't have that "special something" that made me want to order one.

That's why IMO you need to try some examples of the luthier's work before committing yourself to ordering a bass from them, plus if at all possible go and see the luthier in person just to make sure that they are completely on your wavelength regarding what you want. Also if you are after figured woods I am of the opinion that you need to see the pieces in person to make a properly informed decision.

[quote name='pluckedout' post='1240313' date='May 22 2011, 01:33 PM']Am in Salisbury - if anyone is nearby with one then I'd love to try it out.[/quote]

Someone not too far has kindly offered to let me try theirs. Will decide after that!

Massive thanks to Paul (deepbass5) for his generous hospitality and letting me try his Shuker (as well as his other basses) - pretty much convinced me that it's the way to go. Will post build diary if I take the plunge!

Thanks to everyone else for their opinions.