Why become a member? ×

I want a Fender!!!

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1238804' date='May 20 2011, 10:46 PM']Oh but I do :)

P.S. why not?[/quote]

Yes, you really do want a Fender Precision :)

Tho take your time and make sure you get a good-un. And by that, I don`t mean a vintage or super expensive one, just that amongst the same range, there can be both treasures, and howlers.

Edited by Lozz196

The Mecca of bass guitar. I don't care how many people don't like them! I will forever gravitate towards Fender Jazz basses, second only to P's. They've got everything I need to make music, countless generations of pro bass players used them on the best records. They're brilliant!

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1238804' date='May 20 2011, 10:46 PM']Oh but I do :D

P.S. why not?[/quote]
Because 'fashion' dictates that, at this moment in time, there are more Fender-haters around than normal. :)
What you really 'need' is a boutique Bass, that costs more than my mortgage, looks like a broken Curly-Wurly chocolate bar, and sounds middy, honky and toneless, like most other boutique Basses out there. That gives you an excuse for never-ending G.A.S., in the quest for ANY kind of amplification that will make it sound decent. :)

OR.....you could try a Fender, and see if you actually like them. I did, I do, and I've used them almost exclusively for 53 years, apart from the odd excursion into silliness, from which I subsequently recovered. :lol:

(and don't get me started on the 4, 5, 6 string argument) :P

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1238859' date='May 21 2011, 12:05 AM']Because 'fashion' dictates that, at this moment in time, there are more Fender-haters around than normal. :)
What you really 'need' is a boutique Bass, that costs more than my mortgage, looks like a broken Curly-Wurly chocolate bar, and sounds middy, honky and toneless, like most other boutique Basses out there. That gives you an excuse for never-ending G.A.S., in the quest for ANY kind of amplification that will make it sound decent. :)

OR.....you could try a Fender, and see if you actually like them. I did, I do, and I've used them almost exclusively for 53 years, apart from the odd excursion into silliness, from which I subsequently recovered. :lol:

(and don't get me started on the 4, 5, 6 string argument) :D[/quote]

This. I could not agree more.

[quote name='JayPH' post='1238863' date='May 21 2011, 12:10 AM']I have just got my first Fender Bass as a treat from my redundancy money and I absolutely love it. If you can't get one now, save up until you can. You won't be disapointed[/quote]
If I got one now, I would be dreadfully disappointed.

FWIW I've got a Fender and a Warwick, and the Fender is a nice, characterless bass that suits most stuff and the Warwick is a beautifully idiosyncratic instrument that only sounds like itself and every note is a joy to behold. Especially as you work your way from the lower register into the next octave and the sound gurgles into something genuinely interesting.

I'm not knocking Fenders, but they sound... Y'know. I will always prefer the Warwick, and I've found that engineers in recording studios always ask me to track the Warwick. I think its focus makes it easier for them to mix, and especially if you're playing something interesting in the bass part it makes it easier for them to make a feature of it without having to push the bass right to the front of the mix where it would get conspicuous.

Same goes for live - I get heard without having to be loud.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Yeah, I love my Warwick as well

This all came about because a while ago I saw the Matt Freeman squir and had a bad case of GAS. So I set about building my own look-a-like from parts... But the quality doesn't come close. I'm wondering whether I should have just bought what I originally wanted in the first place...?

I'd swing the other way on this TNIT, i've never played a warwick that I 'clicked' with. Jazz basses on the other hand just work for me. Ultimately it boils down to that, play as many as you can and let your hands tell you which one is for you [/subjective hippy crap]

I've had a Warwick and several Fenders and it does depend on the type of music you play. The Warwick I had - Corvette $$ had a huge tonal palette and was good for Heavy Metal right through to Funk. With a Fender (and like Lozz I'm a Precision fan) you know exactly what sound your gonna get and they are utterly reliable. My USA P with flats is great for the bluesy stuff I play so no need for the clever Warwick. I just couldn't get on with the cricket bat neck and lack of fret markers in the end. I also don't really like small bodied basses.
It really is down to personal taste.

I have a Korean made Squier 50th Anniversary P which is in mint condition Black and Rosewood and it plays like a dream. I might be persuaded to part with it if you are interested?

LC

Again, just adding to the debate, not arguing :)....but I owned a Warwick and a USA Fender Jazz at the same time and the Fender blew the Warwick $$ out the water, on every aspect. The Warwick just got used less and less when I bought the Jazz, and I eventually sold it. That Jazz (my 2003 one) has probably done close to 400 gigs I reckon and its still perfectly fine, some paintwork coming away through sheer use, but thats it!

I think the actually argument for me isn't brand related, it's active vs passive....I"m very much a passive fan, all the middy honky boutique basses (as mentioned above) are generally active, whereas I've always found passive basses to be a lot more organic and dynamic.

For what it's worth, Fender's pre-amps are just as sucky lol

Si

If you can stump up the initial cash, as long as you don't pay over the odds you can likely sell a Fender on Basschat without loosing too much if it doesn't work out for you.

Can't always say the same for other bass brands

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1238990' date='May 21 2011, 09:08 AM']Get a stingray.[/quote]

Don't want one :lol:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1238992' date='May 21 2011, 09:12 AM']I have a EBMM, a Fender and a Warwick no need to choose my friends :)[/quote]

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1239014' date='May 21 2011, 09:32 AM']I've had a Warwick and several Fenders and it does depend on the type of music you play. The Warwick I had - Corvette $$ had a huge tonal palette and was good for Heavy Metal right through to Funk. With a Fender (and like Lozz I'm a Precision fan) you know exactly what sound your gonna get and they are utterly reliable. My USA P with flats is great for the bluesy stuff I play so no need for the clever Warwick. I just couldn't get on with the cricket bat neck and lack of fret markers in the end. I also don't really like small bodied basses.
It really is down to personal taste.

I have a Korean made Squier 50th Anniversary P which is in mint condition Black and Rosewood and it plays like a dream. I might be persuaded to part with it if you are interested?

LC[/quote]

I have the Warwick Corvette $$ and yes, it is a fantastic bass. But I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for me to only have one bass :) Nah really, I love the look of Precision basses, and they feel so great to play.

My bet is that no one can reliably tell what sort of bass gear is used on a recording because playing technique and gear set-up is the most important factor. After that it's just a fashion show.

So people only really need to decide if they're more worried about their image or their playing skills.

This sort of debate is reminiscent of the 'Canon or Nikon' debates on photo forums when the reality is that it's completely irrelevant and neither will make or break a photographer. The important thing is to learn the craft of taking good photos. Same with bass playing. What's that old saying about poor workmen always blaming their tools?