Why become a member? ×

Small-ish Valve Heads

obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='1241365' date='May 23 2011, 11:43 AM']:) That takes me back, my first ever bass amp. circa 1963. I've got its bigger brother, a Linear 50 in the garage which I plan to restore but the chassis got slightly bent during shipping so I'm going to have to strip it right down and get it repainted before I can rebuild it. It all takes time.

Thanks to all for the suggestions but I think a lot of you have missed the original point. I have an excellent Orange AD200B which suits me well for larger gigs when paired with an Epifani T212-UL. I don't need another high-power amp.

What I am looking for is something smaller in size and power to go with a pair of 12-inch cabs for small lower volume gigs. The Liittle Bastard ticks all the boxes, but so does the Vox Night Train NH-50H. The latter is a guitar amp but could possibly make a good 50-watt bass amp. After all AC50s were used for both. It has some interesting features such as 2-channels and a Fender Tone stack that can be bypassed to give a flat response. Also the tone stack could be easily revoiced for bass. I'm going to have to try one before making a decision.

Has anyone who works in a music shop tried one with a bass?[/quote]

unfortunatly a vox night train isn't an ac30. I've tried one out and i wasn't hugely impressed.

I still recomend getting your Soundcity sorted, you can mod them pretty easy to get something you like. I have the AD200 schematic if you'd like to use that to convert to convert the soundcity.

Personally the only weigh you can get a bass(ier) sound out of a guitar amp, is more speakers, or larger ones.

For a time I used a orange ad120htc with 2 4x12, it sounded sweet but even with a huge speaker setup it still sounded thin in the lows compared to a full range bass amp.

I also realise than you could use bass cabs, however you'll struggle to find the right wattage to go with the amp head for it to be able to drive it enough while staying reasonable clean.

So then you next choice is bigger speakers but then you are moving away from the point of small.

I think you are fighting a losing battle. Bassists needs considerable watts to be reasonable clean and loud enough to be heard, even in quiet settings.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1249699' date='May 29 2011, 09:46 PM']Have you considered a Selmer Treble n Bass 50watt?
They're not too big.[/quote]

Cvertainly have. They all tend to be a bit old and tatty these dyas. I've been watchin a pair of Sound City 50s on Enbay but they are going to go for silly money.

Latest situation is that I have a cunning plan and have parted with money. I now have to wait for delivery and test to see if said plan works. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='1249720' date='May 29 2011, 10:18 PM']Cvertainly have. They all tend to be a bit old and tatty these dyas. I've been watchin a pair of Sound City 50s on Enbay but they are going to go for silly money.

Latest situation is that I have a cunning plan and have parted with money. I now have to wait for delivery and test to see if said plan works. :)[/quote]

You've sent your bank account details to a lady in Nigeria, who's husband will give you 20% of the $12.6million dollars he deposited with a
security firm abroad whose name is witheld for now, when he returns from exile?

Can't lose

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1249743' date='May 29 2011, 10:38 PM']You've sent your bank account details to a lady in Nigeria, who's husband will give you 20% of the $12.6million dollars he deposited with a
security firm abroad whose name is witheld for now, when he returns from exile?

Can't lose[/quote]

:) :) :lol:

[quote name='eude' post='1259052' date='Jun 6 2011, 10:20 PM']You spy this? >> [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139757"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139757[/url]

Eude[/quote]

I did but it fails to meet my spec in the width department. I have now purchased something which looks promising but will not reveal what it is until I have modified it and proved that it is totally satisfactory. If not I shall remain stumm. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='1259067' date='Jun 6 2011, 10:27 PM']I did but it fails to meet my spec in the width department. I have now purchased something which looks promising but will not reveal what it is until I have modified it and proved that it is totally satisfactory. If not I shall remain stumm. :)[/quote]

No bother dude, just thought I'd toss it in the ring. If my circumstances were different I'd have had that "wee" Ampeg in a minute!
Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you're concocting :)

Good luck!
Eude

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1238774' date='May 20 2011, 10:06 PM']John Chambers should be able to build what you need, although he's always pretty busy. He may be in the mood to work on a small amp after finishing his [url="http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const17.html"]1000w valve amp[/url]![/quote]

My Matamp could have it.

I'm on Matamp, love it, but have been looking at something a bit smaller for the odd gig!

Our guitarist has just had some new combo's made, they sound great, the guy does bass amps to!

[url="http://www.wienbrockamps.com/home.html"]http://www.wienbrockamps.com/home.html[/url]

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this off Happy Jack a few months ago: 1960s, 45w all valve sounds sexy as hell. Could do with a clean and comes with a whole range of leads and bits to make it work with modern gear. Designed NOT to distort but still sounds rich and warm. If you're interrested, drop me a PM and we'll speak more.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1306178928' post='1242190']
unfortunatly a vox night train isn't an ac30. I've tried one out and i wasn't hugely impressed.

I still recomend getting your Soundcity sorted, you can mod them pretty easy to get something you like. I have the AD200 schematic if you'd like to use that to convert to convert the soundcity.
[/quote]

Not so common these days, but would you recommend an ac30 for bass?

Also again another guitar amp but have you seen the Egnater 88?http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=11060715055139

Edited by deanbean502

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1325092497' post='1479780']
If OBBM is still reading this thread, I for one would like to know what he tried, and whether it worked or not.
[/quote]

Pete, I ended up with two amps neither of which I have had a chance to try seriously yet due to lack of time. The first was an Ashdown LB30, the other is a Hayden MoFo 55, 55-watts from a pair of 6550. When I get an opportunity I'm going to try them with the Berg AE212 however the Berg is 4-ohms and the MoFo only has taps for 8 and 16-ohms. I tried it with a single 1 x12 and it was promising. My original idea was to modify the tone stack of the MoFo55 so it was more suited to bass however I'm no longer convinced that it would be a good idea, also the output transformer look a bit small compared to some of my other valve chassis. I've got the MoFo up for sale in my Ebay store so if it sells the it will go. I shall probably sell the LB as well, plus the parts of the Sound City 200 and see if I can raise some cash for a Hiwatt.

Wow that stirred up a bit of interest. I was in the process of rewiring it a few years ago. The power amp side is all done but not tested. The transformers and choke are in excellent condition and it has all new caps. I'll dig it out of the garage tomorrow.