Why become a member? ×

Can you change the sound of an instrument?

ironside1966

I have a Squier deluxe 5 jazz bass, although it is a great bass it sounds dull and insipid. When I checked them out on you tube most of the basses sound completely different to mine.
The first thing I thought of was new strings so I have a set of D’addario nickel wound bright but the bass still sounds dull, even when played acoustically the bass is dull compared to my other instruments?
Is it worth investing in new pickups or dose the sound need to be there in the first place, EQ will not give me the sound that I want.

Often a dull sound when unplugged is due to a poor quality nut. I would change the nut from the cheap plastic to bone or reconstituted bone, a decently cut one will give you better resonance.

And as Rasta rightly said +100000000 on the Fralin pickup.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='ironside1966' post='1228891' date='May 12 2011, 02:55 PM']The first thing I thought of was new strings so I have a set of D’addario nickel wound bright but the bass still sounds dull, even when played acoustically the bass is dull compared to my other instruments?[/quote]

If your bass sounds dull acoustically then the problem is bigger than just adding new pickups.
There are a number of things it could be, poor setup, poorly strung, indifferent quality neck, ineffective nut, ineffective bridge...

quote... Often a dull sound when unplugged is due to a poor quality nut..

really cant see a how a nut can make your tone dull..even if the nut is cut too tight, sorry GW.... there are so many factors that could be at play... some instruments just dont resonate as well as others, depending on the wood used, and the general construction... i agree on the pickups but LF's are expensive... some good ole Fender USA pups are great, or some Wizards.. i have played Squires though that are very resonant and bright..

its mighty hard to tell without playing your bass...in my opinion i wouldnt spend any money until you take it to a tech at a shop who knows basses

Edited by bubinga5

Sometimes raising the pickups a closer to the strings can help liven things up a bit, it will raise the output level of the bass too so be a bit careful when you plug back in! As long as the strings don't hit the pickups when you're playing you should be OK to keep raising them.

Or different make of strings? DR Hi Beams have lots of character and last for ages, Elixirs are bright and last forever (almost). Both expensive strings but the long life makes up for that I reckon.

Good luck

Thanks for your help everyone.

As far as I can tell the bass is well set up with to obvious faults. No rattles, plays well and it sustains well enough. The bridge seems solid and well fitted, it is well strung and I am the first to admit that I am no virtuoso but I am a very competent player with many years experience so I doubt if it is technique or player error.
The nut is interesting but when you fret a note does that cancel out the nut any way?
Has anyone ells had the same problem

I must admit to being a bit cynical about how the finish of a body can 'let the sound out' and how a rosewood fingerboard sounds warmer than a maple one, but the wood used for the neck and body definitely makes a difference.

I'm wondering whether you could try some A/B tests with another bass that doesn't sound so dull acoustally through your lead/amp/speakers with you fingers/playing/style. I doubt that they manage to use the best woods with a Squier for the price but I have yet to play a nasty one apart from an early ply bodied example. Try an A/B test to see what the difference is, you may find it less than you thought or it wiull give you a better idea as to what's up.

... Or you could do this, apparently it helps

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-vintage-relic-road-worn-Squier-squire-/270745337252?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f09adfda4#ht_757wt_1113"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-vin...4#ht_757wt_1113[/url]

[quote name='ironside1966' post='1228891' date='May 12 2011, 03:55 PM']I have a Squier deluxe 5 jazz bass, although it is a great bass it sounds dull and insipid. When I checked them out on you tube most of the basses sound completely different to mine.
The first thing I thought of was new strings so I have a set of D’addario nickel wound bright but the bass still sounds dull, even when played acoustically the bass is dull compared to my other instruments?
Is it worth investing in new pickups or dose the sound need to be there in the first place, EQ will not give me the sound that I want.[/quote]
Well for a start nickel strings won't be as bright and lively as stainless. I've never had a problem with D'addarios before but I've certainly been disappointed with how dull and lifeless Rotosounds can sound straight out the packet. Maybe you could buy one or two individual strings just to check out the difference rather than have to shell out for an entire set, that way you might just find the sound you're looking for. I always thought Bass Centre strings were good and bright and lasted well, but I'm sure there's plenty of people on here with a better idea of what's bright and what's not. I use flats more than I use rounds these days so I would probably like the sound of your Jazz as it is :)

New (or at least better quality) pickups will undoubtedly improve your amplified sound but won't do much to change the sound unplugged, unless the current pickups are so close to the strings the magnets are choking them. They'd have to be pretty close though. An over shimmed neck can bugger the sound up too, although again, that's not very likely in your case.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='1229115' date='May 12 2011, 06:18 PM']Thanks for your help everyone.

As far as I can tell the bass is well set up with to obvious faults. No rattles, plays well and it sustains well enough. The bridge seems solid and well fitted, it is well strung and I am the first to admit that I am no virtuoso but I am a very competent player with many years experience so I doubt if it is technique or player error.
The nut is interesting but when you fret a note does that cancel out the nut any way?
Has anyone ells had the same problem[/quote]Mate.. take it to someone who knows about guitars.. they prob wont charge you for there advise.. its the only way to know for sure..

Does it really sound that dull? even after a string change?.. if you really think so, my gut feeling tells me there is something wrong with maybe the resonance of the instrument.. or the pickups

is the bass dull sounding on every string? the nut will not have a factor Ironside, unless its made of balsa wood.. hard points on either side of the string are good enough to give the string enough to swing off and give a clear tone....

IMHO it should be bright no matter what string you put on.. ok maybe not flats, but even then..

and yes fretting a note will cancel out the nut..

apart from taking it to a tech, i think the missing link is maybe your pickups..

Edited by bubinga5

Could be a faulty tone pot? What difference do you get between tone fully open and fully closed. Does it sound like the tone has been completely rolled off all the time?
Although that doesn't help with acoustic dullness. I don't put much weight behind acoustic sound as I use Nylon tapewounds so can't hear a thing acoustically!

[quote name='kerley' post='1229645' date='May 13 2011, 09:09 AM']Could be a faulty tone pot? What difference do you get between tone fully open and fully closed. Does it sound like the tone has been completely rolled off all the time?
Although that doesn't help with acoustic dullness. I don't put much weight behind acoustic sound as I use Nylon tapewounds so can't hear a thing acoustically![/quote]

Hi Tha bass is active it is a squier 5 Deluxe Jazz

Thank's to everyone for the help.
Just ordered a set of Warwick reds. See f that helps
I also own MIJ jazz, Status Empathy, and Yamaha BBG 11 all of them much bright I also own Peavey Zephyr and that has quit a dull sounds even after replacing the pickups with Kent Armstrong’s.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1229029' date='May 12 2011, 04:59 PM']Sometimes raising the pickups a closer to the strings can help liven things up a bit, it will raise the output level of the bass too so be a bit careful when you plug back in! As long as the strings don't hit the pickups when you're playing you should be OK to keep raising them.

Or different make of strings? DR Hi Beams have lots of character and last for ages, Elixirs are bright and last forever (almost). Both expensive strings but the long life makes up for that I reckon.

Good luck[/quote]

except if you go too close it can do the opposite and kill the sustain....

The batteries fine. my instinct tells me the sound is not there in the first place but not triad the new strings yet,
It doesn't sound too bad and I have read some great reviews on the Squire Jazz 5 Deluxe, seen videos on you tube where they sound much better than mine.
I prefer 4 string and only got this bass for a project but has it stands