Why become a member? ×

What do you value most in a band/project

bassbloke

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1225139' date='May 9 2011, 02:32 PM']That - and enjoying it.[/quote]
I normally enjoy it if there are gigs with an audience. I have been in some great bands that no-one will ever hear as they never made it past the rehearsal stage.

[quote name='icastle' post='1225218' date='May 9 2011, 03:47 PM']Doesn't really bother me too much, I've just picked up a job playing with a singer/songwriter that hasn't quite hit her 20th birthday yet.

I'd [b]like[/b] to think that I got the gig based on my charm, wit, sophistication and youthful looks... :)[/quote]

:)

one of the best bands i've ever been in had a guitarist who was 21 when i was 37...

be both thought a lot of each other's playing so it was never an issue.

sadly a lot of people see it as an obstacle...when it doesn't have to be.

The ability to have a laugh and not take things too seriously.

Can't stand it when people get deadly serious, we're making music here, it's meant to be fun!
Especially when someone claims ownership and trys to dictate the music direction, nothing quite like telling your bandmate he's pretty when he's damn near screaming in your face about some trivial musical device.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1225378' date='May 9 2011, 06:23 PM']:)

one of the best bands i've ever been in had a guitarist who was 21 when i was 37...

sadly a lot of people see it as an obstacle...when it doesn't have to be.[/quote]

For me it's not been too difficult as it seems to be very much a 'genre' thing.
No, I wouldn't 'fit' in one of them there grunge thrash prog rock bands, but I wouldn't want to be there anyway. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1225422' date='May 9 2011, 07:08 PM']For me it's not been too difficult as it seems to be very much a 'genre' thing.
No, I wouldn't 'fit' in one of them there grunge thrash prog rock bands, but I wouldn't want to be there anyway. :)[/quote]

what ? you just nailed my favourite genre

:lol: :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1225224' date='May 9 2011, 04:52 PM']The joy of being with great friends, playing great music for an appreciative audience... it doesn't get any better for me :)[/quote]
This^^

[quote name='ahpook' post='1225378' date='May 9 2011, 06:23 PM']:)

sadly a lot of people see it as an obstacle...when it doesn't have to be.[/quote]

That not what I mean by a noticeable difference. How about if you were in your 50s or even 60s, and the rest of the band were around 21 ? Where do you draw the line, come to that, at what point would the rest of the band ?

How old is too old ?

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread, but the point has been raised now.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1226337' date='May 10 2011, 03:50 PM']That not what I mean by a noticeable difference. How about if you were in your 50s or even 60s, and the rest of the band were around 21 ? Where do you draw the line, come to that, at what point would the rest of the band ?

How old is too old ?

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread, but the point has been raised now.[/quote]

if everyone in the band was happy with it, why should it be an issue ?

i'm not denying your point, but i'd hope that age isn't an obstacle to making good music...it depends why you're forming a band in the first place.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1226337' date='May 10 2011, 03:50 PM']That not what I mean by a noticeable difference. How about if you were in your 50s or even 60s, and the rest of the band were around 21 ? Where do you draw the line, come to that, at what point would the rest of the band ?

How old is too old ?[/quote]
The singer in one of the covers bands I'm in said he's thought about getting us to do his mum's 50th birthday. I'm 53.

Anyroadup, what I value most - musical ability in those around me, drive, and the right level of ego. Too little ego and you go nowhere, too much and it all crumbles.

How old is too old ?

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread, but the point has been raised now.[/quote]
I'm 50. The rest of the Terrortones are between 24 and 30.

Admittedly I've never really grown up, and while I no longer look as young as I once did I certainly don't look like most other 50 year olds I know.

I don't play in a band... but I do collaborate with other people online in making music. So a different approach for me; but in that regard I'd say what's important is:

- Shared enthusiasm and a drive to "get the job done" - i.e. being punctual, keeping to an agreed schedule, etc.
- Shared vision - i.e. genuinely wanting to create the same thing, rather than trying to compromise your own vision to make it fit with someone else's, or vice-versa.
- Knowing each other's creative boundaries - i.e. being aware of who's best at doing what and avoiding treading on each other's toes.
- Having a sense of humour!! Seriously.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1226413' date='May 10 2011, 04:49 PM']I'm 50. The rest of the Terrortones are between 24 and 30.

Admittedly I've never really grown up, and while I no longer look as young as I once did I certainly don't look like most other 50 year olds I know.[/quote]

Great when somebody turns out to be younger than you when you [i]just know[/i] they look and seem a good ten years older isnt it ?

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1224821' date='May 9 2011, 09:59 AM']A communal work ethic.

I can handle differing abilities, I can handle music I'm not 100% into but I can't handle having to drag people along, lazy disinterested bastids who add nothing and are devoid of enthusiasm.

A pox upon them, I say.[/quote]

+ the 1

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1225146' date='May 9 2011, 02:42 PM']Try not handing the Werthers around at rehearsals.

Seriously though, its a pain innit, I'm lucky in that I found a couple of good bands of all old gits like me, but it took a while.
Dunno about you, but I wouldnt be comfortable playing live with a band noticably much younger than me.[/quote]

:)
Just started a new originals project, sort of Black Keysian mutant love child of QOTSA. I'm 48, singer/guitarist is 52 & the drummer is the baby of the band at 46! None of us conform to the middle age stereotype but we are getting grumpier! Pass the werthers, originals mind not none of them fancy swirly cream ones!
Cheers,
Norm