Why become a member? ×

Best places in the UK to get bass bodies made

sockdeluxe_mikey

Hello everybody!

I should be gearing up soon to buying a bass guitar body to start serious work on a bass build, but I have normally been looking at American companies such as Warmoth at prices and specs. Is there anywhere in Britain that could build a very simple alder jazz bass body, no thrills, and for a relatively decent price? A body for about £150 or less would be very good! I am also considering doing the finishing myself, practice permitting.

Thanks for reading :)

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' post='1220836' date='May 5 2011, 11:40 AM']Hello everybody!

I should be gearing up soon to buying a bass guitar body to start serious work on a bass build, but I have normally been looking at American companies such as Warmoth at prices and specs. Is there anywhere in Britain that could build a very simple alder jazz bass body, no thrills, and for a relatively decent price? A body for about £150 or less would be very good! I am also considering doing the finishing myself, practice permitting.

Thanks for reading :)[/quote]

If its completely standard spec try Brandoni (old Japanese made, but good quality) or WD. If its something special then Shuker or Simms?

Depends what matters..decent wood to show off the grain, or spray over.

If I wanted if done properly with great wood to show off... then I wouldn't skimp on cost.

If I wanted a cheaper deal...presumably..but still better than commercially available from the likes of the all parts type company, I'd certainly give one or two of the smaller guys here a ring..and hope that they would do a better job but give me a break on the price
as they have smaller OH costs..

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' post='1220836' date='May 5 2011, 11:40 AM']Hello everybody!

Thanks for reading :)[/quote]
axesrus.com

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1221250' date='May 5 2011, 04:49 PM']Good shout Steve, I had forgot about that CH Guitars. I`m going to take a punt one of their jazz necks. Bodies look ok as well.

Jez[/quote]

let us know how the neck is

For anyone in the Northwest I can highly recommend Ben Shand at Beej Guitar Repairs.
[url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beej-Guitar-Repairs/117342304957118?v=info"][color="#FF0000"]Beej Guitar Repairs[/color][/url]
From setups to complete bodies/necks.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1226544' date='May 10 2011, 06:22 PM']I have ordered one of the Jazz/rosewood necks and will give you my "expert" opinion :)

Jez[/quote]

I bought one. Dirt cheap but not the greatest quality just about passable I suppose. You have to file your own nut which means you'll have to get a set of luthiers files if you want to do a decent job.

I ended up buying an allparts neck.