Why become a member? ×

CUSTOM BASS

nik1093

My two custom basses:

Overwater Original 2, extra-long scale 5 string. Not made for me personally, but then again at the time I bought it second hand was the only way I could afford a decent bass.

Gus G3 5 string. AFAIK the only one in existence with anodised black metal work instead of the more usual bright chrome. Simon had been experimenting with alternative finishes for the metal parts, but after all the trials he went through trying to get suppliers to finish to the standard he required for a customer model I don't think he's bothering anymore.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='13669' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:26 PM']My two custom basses:

Overwater Original 2, extra-long scale 5 string. Not made for me personally, but then again at the time I bought it second hand was the only way I could afford a decent bass.

Gus G3 5 string. AFAIK the only one in existence with anodised black metal work instead of the more usual bright chrome. Simon had been experimenting with alternative finishes for the metal parts, but after all the trials he went through trying to get suppliers to finish to the standard he required for a customer model I don't think he's bothering anymore.[/quote]
Love the Overwater, love the Gus even more. Very nice!

Sei Original Hybrid 5 String

It's actually for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=726&st=0"]HERE[/url]

Sei Jazz 5

Shuker Jazz 5

Matt Pulcinella MPG Level 5

Wish I'd kept this one longer :) - it wasn't quite my thing at the time but would suit me down to the ground now

[quote name='elros' post='13665' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:17 PM']This one pretty much sums it up for me:

Surine Regency X 6-string
Warmoth Jazz/Gecko 4-string
Benavente Vortex 6-string fretless
Listerud Totem 7-string (now gone, alas)[/quote]

Cripes!

---

[quote name='mr_russ' post='13762' date='Jun 7 2007, 07:33 PM']
Sei Jazz 5[/quote]

CRIPES.

Its the same position on my Vigiers - makes good sense because when the bas is straped on, the strap is kept straight.

Here are my three - Proper pics here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99[/url]

[quote name='Merton' post='13672' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:32 PM']Love the Overwater, love the Gus even more. Very nice![/quote]

[quote name='MattyB90' post='13861' date='Jun 7 2007, 09:58 PM']BigRed that overwater looks awesome, not too sure about the strap button position though?[/quote]

Thanks for the comments.

The Overwater is surprisingly comfortable to play and I think the strap button possition helps to prevent neck dive. It's definitely in the orginal place as there's no evidence of any other holes in that area. This was my first really good bass and I went from playing a short scale Burns Sonic to this monster 36" bass. Actually I didn't realise that was long scale than normal until I bought my first replacement set of strings and they didn't fit... I'm in two minds about the wood - it's obviously quality but I can't help but be reminded of a 70s MFI wardrobe. Also the pre-amp batteries last about a month of normal playing before the sound starts to degrade (aren't modern electronics so much more wonderful).

The Gus is the loudest and fullest sounding passive bass I've ever heard (it makes the Overwater sound a bit timid bu comparison). Simon does an active option, but when I was trying his sample models out to decide on the specs for my build I didn't feel that it offered any significant advantage for me. I have it set up with both pups on in humbucking mode and tone on full and let my BassPod shape the sound. It also has a much smoother volume control than most basses - effective all through its travel. I like the all matt black look (very stealth) although sometimes it can be a bit too anonymous and it doesn't get the same WTF reaction that my Gus G1 vibrato Guitar (in pewter and bright chrome) does.

My GB's.

I had a 1980 Ibanez Musician fretless that I loved playing but it just got too heavy for my poor old back so I paid a visit to Bernie Goodfellow GB Guitars who is quite local and said I wanted a four string fretless Spitfire with a neck exactly the same as the Ibanez. Game on. I dont dig basses that want to be furniture so fancy woods were out, although Bernie could not resist using a fancy bit of maple for the neck. Thought long and hard about the colour but in the end decided it had to be black with chrome, standard Spitfire build (GB Pups, GB Active, Schaller 200 Bridge and Hipshot Ultralights). Its made from swamp ash so is nice and light. I did consider a Status Retro in black but I wanted an in-between neck and Status only did P or J.

One extra was some rather fetching blue LED's as playing fretless on a blacked out stage can be a bitch.

Like most builders Bernie has a formula and models that he likes to use as a starting point (the Rumour shape is inspired by the silhouette of a naked woman with a comfortable bottom sitting down). Of course you can vary considerably from the standard build but it can cost more and if it is particularly time consuming he might decide not to take it on because it means making all the other customers wait longer for their babies. But I wanted something different with frets so I had a Spitfire based P bass made. Swamp Ash again in fiesta red with a snot green plate. 69 P Pup, EBS Active, Hipshot Ultra and Hipshot Model A strung through. Looks and sounds very different.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='14167' date='Jun 8 2007, 01:18 PM']

more info and pics on this topic:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128[/url][/quote]

That is SO sweet. Damn, 14 weeks is SUCH a long time!

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='14229' date='Jun 8 2007, 03:17 PM']more info[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84"]HERE[/url]

Tinman, surely its less than 14 now[/quote]

Yeah, it's now 12 weeks and 1 day which equals 85 days which equals 2040 hours which equals 122400 minutes which equals 7,344000 seconds (not that I'm counting or anything)

*must find something else to think about*

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='14242' date='Jun 8 2007, 03:53 PM']Yeah, it's now 12 weeks and 1 day which equals 85 days which equals 2040 hours which equals 122400 minutes which equals 7,344000 seconds (not that I'm counting or anything)

*must find something else to think about*[/quote]

and after meeting pete, I know that this is really beating him up!

Here's some pics of my Sei 7.

This is the Sei offset flamboyant body style. The body is a walnut core, bolivar (dyed claret) veneer with a lacewood top. The thru neck is wenge and flamed maple topped with a birds eye maple 'board. Pickup is a passive custom Kent Armstrong humbucker to a volume control which is a push/pull pot for the led's on the side of the neck. The bass has a regular output, XLR and a coil tap button all on the lower edge.

[quote name='7string' post='14853' date='Jun 9 2007, 11:39 PM']Here's some pics of my Sei 7.

This is the Sei offset flamboyant body style. The body is a walnut core, bolivar (dyed claret) veneer with a lacewood top. The thru neck is wenge and flamed maple topped with a birds eye maple 'board. Pickup is a passive custom Kent Armstrong humbucker to a volume control which is a push/pull pot for the led's on the side of the neck. The bass has a regular output, XLR and a coil tap button all on the lower edge.[/quote]

I've probably said so before, but that Sei is the bomb.

Thanks for the kind words and, yup, my Sei is named 'Jezebel' :)

The standard of Martins' work is just mind-blowing. On the singlecut that's pictured above the rear view just tells the story.

The compartment and battery covers are cut from the facings and put back in exactly the same place, giving a beautifully clean look to the instrument. (The covers on mine are actually replacements as the originals were lost in their journey back to Sei HQ by DHL, making them even more remarkable).

Also, note the way the extended upper horn, neck and body are carved making this difficult area one smooth contour...

When it came for me to put my money on the table and make a choice it had to be a Sei..... :huh:

Edited by 7string