Why become a member? ×

Norwegian Fodera owners: Urgent plea for help

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1214260' date='Apr 28 2011, 10:55 PM']Can I just ask if your son wanted it signed?[/quote]
Good evening, Wayne...
No, at the time, my son Tom didn't know who the guy was (and didn't care much, either, that's youth for you...). Once he saw how the guy played, however, his ears pricked up somewhat. [i]I[/i] asked if he would dedicate it, after the show, as a kind of souvenir. As I said, it's rubbed off since, so it matters little now..! At least Tom now knows for certain that if there's a problem playing something, it ain't the bass, it's him. He's moved on since and taken over my 6-string fretless, so the Cort is played less now. Happy days, however...

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1214289' date='Apr 28 2011, 10:18 PM']Good evening, Wayne...
No, at the time, my son Tom didn't know who the guy was (and didn't care much, either, that's youth for you...). Once he saw how the guy played, however, his ears pricked up somewhat. [i]I[/i] asked if he would dedicate it, after the show, as a kind of souvenir. As I said, it's rubbed off since, so it matters little now..! At least Tom now knows for certain that if there's a problem playing something, it ain't the bass, it's him. He's moved on since and taken over my 6-string fretless, so the Cort is played less now. Happy days, however...[/quote]
Nice story. :)

[i]Victor asked that we send this to folk who helped or took interest in his predicament:[/i]

"Hello everyone,
I'd like to personally thank U all for trying your best to help me out while I was in Norway - especially the two gentlemen who were ready to hop in the car and start driving right away. U all are amazing. Just so U know, my basses and luggage showed up at the hotel after the gig. I'm a happy man now.

A big THANKS to all of U and to ALL at FODERA for all-ways having my back!!!

Here's to the future.

Peace, Victor L. Wooten"

[i]I still want to see some footage!
Phil[/i]

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1214256' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:53 PM']Good evening, all...

Just for the anecdote...
Back in 2006, Macao Parker was billed at our festival in France (3 elephants...); in the afternoon came a message that a 5-string active bass was looked for. The bassist (Rodney "Skeet" Curtis...) had a problem with the electronics of his Lakland, could we find an equivalent..?
No, we don't have top-level instruments spare in this corner of France; my son had recently got a bottom-line, run of the mill Cort active fiver, by coincidence with the same pup configuation (although Cort quality, not Lakland...). We offered it for inspection, he changed the strings and action and did a fine set, solos included, with the Cort, which cost just over 200€ new. No-one in the public was disappointed.
He signed the back of the bass before leaving (it's worn off since...). Charming bloke, red-hot player. I can confirm that a good bassist can get hot funk from an entry-level instrument (the Ampeg stack helped somewhat...).
Just saying...[/quote]

Not surprising as Cort make Lakland's Skyline range and are pound for pound the best value on the market.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1216900' date='May 1 2011, 10:05 PM']Interesting thread, but can I just say that I've never heard of Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller or Rodney "Skeet" Curtis!

Seriously.... I haven't.[/quote]
There's no shame (or pride..!) in that, sir; there's thousand's more that I haven't heard of either. You could do worse than look 'em up on 'Youtube', perhaps (but it's optional...).

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1216900' date='May 1 2011, 09:05 PM']Interesting thread, but can I just say that I've never heard of Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller or Rodney "Skeet" Curtis!

Seriously.... I haven't.[/quote]
I have but only recently (last few years) and heard of them and heard them are different things I bet you have heard them but don't know you have?

[quote name='acidbass' post='1217115' date='May 2 2011, 02:18 AM']I don't think any of the aforementioned are household names - but then, neither was Jamerson and look at the impact on popular music that he had![/quote]

Marcus is probably the most used named (at my uni anyway) when it comes to putting slap into modern culture. Wooton certainly is too.

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1216927' date='May 1 2011, 09:38 PM']You could do worse than look 'em up on 'Youtube', perhaps (but it's optional...).[/quote]

Perhaps he has never heard of 'Youtube' ... :)
Or even thinks 'Basschat' is a Fishing forum - Erm.. I wonder what size rod VW has?

Nice story [read] about your son 'Dad3353'

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1216969' date='May 1 2011, 10:18 PM']Marcus. Luther Vandross. Never Too Much. EVERYBODY has heard that song![/quote]

Luther who?

It sounds to me like these people all play a style, or styles of music that I would never listen to, so why would I have heard of them?

I don't listen to music radio during the day, I only listen to folk-rock, prog-rock or 60/early 70's rock so I doubt that I've heard them without knowing it either.

I don't read bass magazines, either....

I do admit that I may have seen them mentioned on basschat in the past though.

And yes, I have heard of youtube, but why would I ever be bothered to watch a bass tutorial by someone like Victor Wooten, when I have no wish to ever play like him?

Cool, everyone, cool...

It's surely only old fogies like myself who remember Ashley Hutchings, or Jack Casady, or Danny Thompson, or...( the list is long...). There is no reproach intended (by me, at least...), in not having heard of, or being interested in, every so-and-so who has made a name (big or small...) for him/her self playing bass. There are loads that I've never heard of; there's no-one on this forum (or anywhere else...) able to name 'em all..! No sweat...

Cool, everyone, cool..! :)

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1217662' date='May 2 2011, 03:52 PM']Cool, everyone, cool...

It's surely only old fogies like myself who remember Ashley Hutchings, or Jack Casady, or Danny Thompson, or...( the list is long...). There is no reproach intended (by me, at least...), in not having heard of, or being interested in, every so-and-so who has made a name (big or small...) for him/her self playing bass. There are loads that I've never heard of; there's no-one on this forum (or anywhere else...) able to name 'em all..! No sweat...

Cool, everyone, cool..! :)[/quote]

Ah, see now Ashley Hutchings and Danny Thompson are 2 of my favourite bass players....

My original post wasn't intended to be a criticism of anyone, I am sure Mr Miller, Wooten, and Curtis are all fine players (certainly all "better" than me) It was just a shock to see how much of the bass world had passed me by!