Why become a member? ×

Norwegian Fodera owners: Urgent plea for help

Born 2B Mild

So just to clarify: Am I wrong in assumong he only takes one bass to a gig? And rather than pay the extra to take his one special bass in the cabin, he's happy to put it in the hold?

Even though he is a professional bassist earning his living playing said bass?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1213059' date='Apr 27 2011, 07:48 PM']I don't about that, I think he has paid for most of the basses he's had. I think he got one free once that had a fault or a problem with the neck, that was the black bass that he throws about at live shows. Otherwise, I think he can play what he wants. Afterall, he has played a few other basses live over the past few years; Compitos, Steinbergers etc etc.

However, it is an insult to Victor to even suggest that he should play a show with some rubbish old Fender when he should be knocking out his tunes of top spec custom basses! It's be like going to watch Miki Biasion do a rally master class and seeing him driving round in a Kia.[/quote]

I very much doubt that the greatest bass player of modern day has paid for any of the fodera collection! I think fodera benefit more from wooten, than wooten benefits from fodera.

Im sure victor could make any bass sing, after all, "the funk is in d fingerz" and not in "D BASS"

regards

Mark

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1212830' date='Apr 27 2011, 04:49 PM']Victor's playing at [url="http://www.hemnesjazz.no/"]http://www.hemnesjazz.no/[/url] tonight with no Fodera, thanks to an airline c*ck up.

If there are any Norwegians with a nice bass, preferably a Fodera, can they come to Mr Wooten's rescue, pronto?

Let me know![/quote]

If Id spent 10k on a bass, Id put that on the seat next to me on the plane, and the wife in the cargo hold!!!!

Sorry, but this is hilarious - please keep us updated - he must have played the gig by now, how did he get on? Do any Norwegians own Foderas? I know lots of Norwegian musicians and I can tell you from experience that vintage, not designer, basses are what 99% of the bands / players use out there... and how many huskies does it take to change a lightbulb?

M

[quote name='urb' post='1213229' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:06 PM']Sorry, but this is hilarious - please keep us updated - he must have played the gig by now, how did he get on? Do any Norwegians own Foderas? I know lots of Norwegian musicians and I can tell you from experience that vintage, not designer, basses are what 99% of the bands / players use out there... and how many huskies does it take to change a lightbulb?

M[/quote]

I've noticed this also, hence all the Oslo guys I know having old Fenders and such.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1213197' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:40 PM']I very much doubt that the greatest bass player of modern day has paid for any of the fodera collection! I think fodera benefit more from wooten, than wooten benefits from fodera.[/quote]

Anyone that plays a fodera has payed for it. Thats one of the things they pride them self on.

Obviously they'll get perks of build times cut to the minimum possible.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1213056' date='Apr 27 2011, 07:46 PM']OK, I stand humbled on my knowledge of Finnish geography :D[/quote]

ha ha

what I don't know is why you became so focused on Finland, when the gig was in Norway. Sure, they do share a border up North, but... :)

(not trying to tease you -too much :lol:- or anything... I've had more than my share of "lapses of concentration" and I will have them again, no doubt! I was just honestly amused by the constant mention of Finland :))

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1213295' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:53 PM']Anyone that plays a fodera has payed for it. Thats one of the things they pride them self on.

Obviously they'll get perks of build times cut to the minimum possible.[/quote]

There is no way he's paid for that bass. He might be in a tight endorsement (which has had to be.. adapted tonight) but it's very very unlikely he's actually bought the bass. It's worth it to give it to him for free.

Well here's two quick bits of info that I can pass on for the moment...

1) He ended up using a Marcus Miller Jazz tonight

2) No one gets a Fodera for free ...not even Victor

Hopefully more to report on this tomorrow (which it already is in Norway)

:)

Phil

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1213119' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:47 PM']Marcus Miller bass to the rescue.[/quote]Ahemmm.

Also, don't hate Vic, he is extraordinary, lives in a time of rampant consumerism, preaches a message of peace, self improvement, doesn't sell many albums in the general sense and as far as I know buys his Foderas.
The world would be a smaller place without Vic.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1213390' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:30 AM']Ahemmm.

Also, don't hate Vic, he is extraordinary, lives in a time of rampant consumerism, preaches a message of peace, self improvement, doesn't sell many albums in the general sense and as far as I know buys his Foderas.
The world would be a smaller place without Vic.[/quote]
Well said, Victor is a gem.
Will see him in Stockholm on Monday! :)

[quote name='yorick' post='1213442' date='Apr 28 2011, 07:33 AM']Hopefully with a Fodera..... :)[/quote]
:)
Fingers crossed, though it would be quite interesting to see and hear him on a Miller jazz, I'm sure it was great!

[i]From Fodera HQ...[/i]

[indent]We received literally HUNDREDS of responses from all over the world including two Fodera players that were very close to Oslo, but just too far away from the Gig to make it happen. So, at the end of the day he sourced a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass from someone local and did the gig on that.

Now, a note on why he wanted a Fodera...yes Vic CAN play a two by four with two strings and play significantly better on it than many of us, however, on his solo gigs (especially when he is out JUST with JD Blair and its only the two of them), there are a number of his techniques that are very much intertwined with his having played a Fodera for over 20 years. Many of his riffs ARE above the 21st fret and a lot of the hammer-on techniques that he uses require incredibly low action and active pickups in order to achieve the desired result.

Thanks again to so many of you for trying your best to help!!

Jason [/indent]

[i]It would be good to get an audience member's report!

Phil[/i]

[quote name='4 candles' post='1213197' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:40 PM']I very much doubt that the greatest bass player of modern day has paid for any of the fodera collection! I think fodera benefit more from wooten, than wooten benefits from fodera.[/quote]

I think he probably has, why don't you email Fodera and ask them? As for the show, it's a shame he has had to play a Marcus Miller jazz bass. At least he should have his Fodera back soon.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1213934' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:27 PM']As for the show, it's a shame he has had to play a Marcus Miller jazz bass.[/quote]

Do you really consider that to be a 'shame'? Seems like he was lucky to get such a bass for the gig, it could have been infinitely worse!
I'd love it if Victor had something of a revelation, and switched over to Fenders :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1214218' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:22 PM']Do you really consider that to be a 'shame'? Seems like he was lucky to get such a bass for the gig, it could have been infinitely worse!
I'd love it if Victor had something of a revelation, and switched over to Fenders :)[/quote]

I was thinking that, I know I'd rather a MM to a Fodera.

I think he should just be grateful someone lent him a bass.

Good evening, all...

Just for the anecdote...
Back in 2006, Macao Parker was billed at our festival in France (3 elephants...); in the afternoon came a message that a 5-string active bass was looked for. The bassist (Rodney "Skeet" Curtis...) had a problem with the electronics of his Lakland, could we find an equivalent..?
No, we don't have top-level instruments spare in this corner of France; my son had recently got a bottom-line, run of the mill Cort active fiver, by coincidence with the same pup configuation (although Cort quality, not Lakland...). We offered it for inspection, he changed the strings and action and did a fine set, solos included, with the Cort, which cost just over 200€ new. No-one in the public was disappointed.
He signed the back of the bass before leaving (it's worn off since...). Charming bloke, red-hot player. I can confirm that a good bassist can get hot funk from an entry-level instrument (the Ampeg stack helped somewhat...).
Just saying...

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1214256' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:53 PM']Good evening, all...

Just for the anecdote...
Back in 2006, Macao Parker was billed at our festival in France (3 elephants...); in the afternoon came a message that a 5-string active bass was looked for. The bassist (Rodney "Skeet" Curtis...) had a problem with the electronics of his Lakland, could we find an equivalent..?
No, we don't have top-level instruments spare in this corner of France; my son had recently got a bottom-line, run of the mill Cort active fiver, by coincidence with the same pup configuation (although Cort quality, not Lakland...). We offered it for inspection, he changed the strings and action and did a fine set, solos included, with the Cort, which cost just over 200€ new. No-one in the public was disappointed.
He signed the back of the bass before leaving (it's worn off since...). Charming bloke, red-hot player. I can confirm that a good bassist can get hot funk from an entry-level instrument (the Ampeg stack helped somewhat...).
Just saying...[/quote]

Can I just ask if your son wanted it signed?

I find this situation a little strange.
Firstly, he has no backup bass. Secondly, was this strictly a solo performance with no other acts (with a bass) on the bill?
Thirdly, if this was a solo performance, surely the majority of the audience would be made up of bass players (ask the man-in-the-street if he has heard of Victor Wooten) and
therefore some must live locally and word would spread quickly? Fourthly, are there no guitar shops in the region?
And lastly, out of all the basses, in all the world, ever manufactured, he ends up with a Fender artist 'Marcus Miller' signature bass? A cheeky in-joke? :)

Edit: I know Fodera's don't grow on trees btw. :)

Edited by Sawtooth