Why become a member? ×

best bass ad ever

Ou7shined

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1211540' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:14 AM']To my mind, the 70's guy (let's call him Jeff) looks more suited to our tempestuous and troubled times than the two doughy dullards in 'homogenized metaller black'.

Think about it.

Jeff looks like he's having a good time. Jeff's eyes gleam. Jeff's moustache is full and luxuriant. Jeff's hair is bouncy and elegantly coiffed. Jeff's threads are bright and sparkly and - well - friendly. Jeff's weight does not exceed that of his band's touring PA. It all suggests a man at ease with himself.

Adam and Jason (for those are their names) are a different matter. Their eyes convey a self-important stupidity. Their faces are pouchy. Adam has bingo wings. Jason is clearly busting to hang a colossal rat. Adam and Jason affect that ubiquitous hard-man scowl that says "Talk to me and I'll get my 'entourage' to give you a kicking". They are endorsees and thus quite clearly total breadheads. They are a summation of all that is wrong with society in general and our bass-playing community in particular.

Jeff is a man for our times. Jeff would tell you that dope gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no dope. Jeff would point out that we all have to work together to stick it to the man. Jeff would let you sleep on his couch and he'd square it with his 'old lady'.

We need guys like Jeff. He's a dude.[/quote]

Best post of the year! :)

I've always liked this ad; "Jeff" looks like he's having a funkin' good time and doesn't give a rat's @rse what he looks like. Mr '70's in fact.

I actually quite like those EB p/ups on the bass too, I used to have the same on a modded RD Artist

For me 'Jeff' sums up everything that went wrong with the 70s between the end of glam rock and the beginning of punk. You just know that his band were some third-rate Eagles sound-alike that had one album out on an un-hip label like Arista and then sunk without a trace.

Of course I'm not saying the Adam or Jason are any better...

Must dig out my old copies of IM and see if there are any more cringe worthy ads from the 70s.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1211896' date='Apr 26 2011, 06:38 PM']For me 'Jeff' sums up everything that went wrong with the 70s between the end of glam rock and the beginning of punk. You just know that his band were some third-rate Eagles sound-alike that had one album out on an un-hip label like Arista and then sunk without a trace.

Of course I'm not saying the Adam or Jason are any better...

Must dig out my old copies of IM and see if there are any more cringe worthy ads from the 70s.[/quote]What went wrong is that everybody is now as miserable as f*** and it's like punk never happened.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1211900' date='Apr 26 2011, 06:41 PM']What went wrong is that everybody is now as miserable as f*** .[/quote]
Yes, of course, !975 onwards is known as the period of happy, smiley musos. :)
[quote name='steve-soar' post='1211900' date='Apr 26 2011, 06:41 PM']and it's like punk never happened.[/quote]
Unfortunately, I think, even today, it's all too evident that punk happened. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1211540' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:14 AM']Jeff looks like he's having a good time. Jeff's eyes gleam. Jeff's moustache is full and luxuriant. Jeff's hair is bouncy and elegantly coiffed. Jeff's threads are bright and sparkly and - well - friendly ... It all suggests a man at ease with himself.[/quote]

Damn right. Jeff was all things to all men. He embodied the spirit of the age. He drove a Ford Capri, he wore Hai Karate, he ate fondue. If you look up 'zeitgist' in the dictionary, there's a picture of Jeff.

There was only one bass a man like Jeff could play, and with a 'incredible electric system' as complicated as 'The Ripper', only a man like Jeff [i]could[/i] play it.

Jeff was a Gibson man through and through. He lived Gibson, he breathed Gibson, he dreamt Gibson. He even had Gibson tattooed on his 'johnson'. (Jeff never liked Rickenbackers).

Unfortunately for Jeff, he was struck down by a chronic illness. A disease so bad, it ate away at his very 'Jeffness'. No amount of fame, glory, wealth or hairspray, could stop this terrible affliction ..... Jeff got GAS!

Jeff ended up losing everything he once held so dear. His 'old lady' gave him the boot and he was last seen stocking shelves in the Stevenage branch of Toys-R-us, demo-ing Guitar Hero to anyone who'll listen.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1211540' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:14 AM']To my mind, the 70's guy (let's call him Jeff) looks more suited to our tempestuous and troubled times than the two doughy dullards in 'homogenized metaller black'.

Think about it.

Jeff looks like he's having a good time. Jeff's eyes gleam. Jeff's moustache is full and luxuriant. Jeff's hair is bouncy and elegantly coiffed. Jeff's threads are bright and sparkly and - well - friendly. Jeff's weight does not exceed that of his band's touring PA. It all suggests a man at ease with himself.

Adam and Jason (for those are their names) are a different matter. Their eyes convey a self-important stupidity. Their faces are pouchy. Adam has bingo wings. Jason is clearly busting to hang a colossal rat. Adam and Jason affect that ubiquitous hard-man scowl that says "Talk to me and I'll get my 'entourage' to give you a kicking". They are endorsees and thus quite clearly total breadheads. They are a summation of all that is wrong with society in general and our bass-playing community in particular.

Jeff is a man for our times. Jeff would tell you that dope gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no dope. Jeff would point out that we all have to work together to stick it to the man. Jeff would let you sleep on his couch and he'd square it with his 'old lady'.

We need guys like Jeff. He's a dude.[/quote]
I want to marry this post.

I'd buy Jeff a beer and then give his missus one too :)

Edited by Ross