Why become a member? ×

Needing tone similiar to Bongo Bass

Joshbasscana

Hey people,

Look, the Musicman Bongo bass HH is a blindingly amazing bass. The Tone is incredible. However, we all know the look of the bass resembles what you rest your buttocks upon when relieving yourself of waste products.

I need a bass that has this PHAT tone but with less ogre-esk looks. I am in a band and need a bass which is a bit easier on the eyes in a live setting. The Bongo should be a studio bass period but I've just not come across anything else to replace it live...yet. I need it to be a 4 string bass too - this is my band below. I want a fender bass (Jazz?) but I'm afraid no Fender has that huge Humbucker character.

Im skint atm but would definately appreciate bass chatters opinions on this.
Thanks fella's and fellasses,

Josh

Personally, I wouldn't care about how it looks...

If it sounds that good and plays that well, just get one. Best to have a fantastic live and recorded sound than something that doesn't quite nail the tone you want but looks better.

Just get one in black instead of those lairy colours and you'll be fine :)

Hey there!
ive been puzzling over how to get this type of sound for some time.
Something with a similar pickup configuration is a good starting point. Stingray H/H (no idea if its available in 4 string) might be one?

try some of the Warwick $$ basses, corvette and streamer. Also try basses with similar style pickups, such as EMG DC's. I'm having a pair put in my bass as i type this and they have fantastic depth and bite.

another alternative is to get a set of MM style pups retrofitted into your existing bass (if the circuit will fit).

hope this helps!

Thanks for input fella's,

I do already own a bongo lol, sorry I didn't mention that before. I know it's all about the tone and it is, your right. But I need a nicer looking bass tbh. Im going to look at the 'Ray HH for sure. Thanks for the tip funkypenguin and niceguyhomer. It had crossed my mind :)
I have tried the warwick $$. It is a good bass - for the money its pretty amazing. Very Versatile. But still wasn't blown away by it. Dont bite my head off but I'm not a big Warwick fan. The look is a bit...meh?
But yeah, I'll look into the Stingray HH. Im still open to suggestions!

Josh

[quote name='clauster' post='139023' date='Feb 12 2008, 07:06 PM']As a 'vette fan, that hurts coming from a Bongo owner :) :huh:[/quote]

I'm not a big fan of the car either ;) Just pulling your leg. To be fair, I haven't had the privledge of running the $$ through it's paces with my rig. Im sure it is the shizzle. It just didn't bring me tears of joy.

the 4HS Bongo Iused to own sounded nothing like any Stingray or Sterling I've owned or played (including the dual p/up ones)the neodynium magnets,4 band EQ,continous pan control and 18v circuit are just well different.
I love my sterlings but I'm in agreeament with the general consensus that the Bongo is one fantastic sounding bass.

edit : just read the post above, I think the twin bucker G&Ls sound different again..more organic,woody and ballsy sounding,the Bongo has a big tone,just more hi-fi to my ears anyway

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='Joshbasscana' post='140683' date='Feb 14 2008, 10:32 PM']Looks like I aint going to get that amazing tone then lol. Do Musicman sell the bongo pup's and the preamp as seperates? It'll be good for future reference. Musicman really need to make a bongo that looks sexier than it's tone :huh:[/quote]

as a Bongo owner (4HS) I'd agree that they aren't the prettiest, perhaps - but they certainly look individual and I'm more than happy with mine :)

how about a Stealth one ? probably the coolest looking one, though the gloss black one looks good too

mine is Egyptian Smoke, which isn't a bad colour either IMHO

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='141465' date='Feb 16 2008, 12:57 AM']Am I the only one who LIKE the look of them?![/quote]

I DO like the look of my Bongo, though as I said earlier, I have owned prettier basses.

I've also got a Bongo humbucker around here somewhere, bought from a Bassworlder a couple of years ago - one day I'll find a home for it

(I have wondered if it could be jammed between the two pickups on my HS :) )

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='141465' date='Feb 16 2008, 12:57 AM']Am I the only one who LIKE the look of them?![/quote]

I really dont like the look of my 4HH. BUt it does sound and play well enough to sort of forget the fact. I'd still trade for a DJ4 though :)