Why become a member? ×

Would you buy a Conklin?

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to stick my neck out and see how many people here would consider and go through with buying a Conklin? (Mainly focused on now kind of time period)

I ask, because Conklin have no UK dealer, and i was speaking to Bill Conklin on Facebook (Really nice guy!) and he said Conklin hasn't had a UK dealer for sometime but its something he would like to see!

It would realistically be the Groove Tools series and the New Century stuff, but i don't think having these as an option would hurt us! But do you think they have a viable market here?

Bill did say though, that the company who deals and makes the GT stuff, (Westheimer Corp.) have awefull support and that they have called, e-mailed and even gone to Korea and not had word from them, and that the GT line is [b]not out of production[/b] but the shippments are irregular and have fluctuations in quanities but still haven't heard anything bad about quality!

I may add a poll later but after looking for a GTBD-7 (and missing a few on here thanks to being broke! But i like to buy new things! haha) and my recent chat with Bill i was curious so made this!

Conklin are most famous for they Extended range basses, but will do anything! And they make 4/5/7 strings in the GT and New Century series.

For those of you who don't know Conklin Guitars and basses:

[url="http://www.conklinguitars.com/"]http://www.conklinguitars.com/[/url]

Bill said that if a stockist/shop in the UK was interested in becoming a dealer he would jump at the chance to see it done, but then a stockist would need to know of the market and demand.
(Not to be pessimistic, but it is the kind of thing you would expect him to say! But we had a length chat and it seemed sincere enough but you never know.)

Cheers!
AC

Edited by AttitudeCastle

I wouldn't buy one as I don't like the design of these instruments no matter how well they play & how good they sound.

From what Bill C says about the service from the company that makes his budget range, it sound like a potential nightmare for any UK company who takes on local distribution/sales & has to handle support.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1209010' date='Apr 23 2011, 10:48 AM']The Market for the Conklin instruments is a niche one (as it is for any 'out of the ordinary' instrument maker). Why don't you just buy direct from Bill?[/quote]

Unfortunately (or stupidly) you can't! And the price would be insane, as the price is up for import tax from Korea to Usa, then they get sent out from there so thats extra tax from usa to here! Would get to almost £2K i think, which by then you may as well get a Custom, i'm sure you could get a "Simple" 7 string from Shuker or ACG for that made just for you.

If they had a dealer here it would be closer to £1K, though thats pretty simplified and i'm sure there is more to it than that! (Pointing out my cluelessness here!)

I mean they still do 4 and 5 strings, and i've heard only good things about them!

And some of the shapes are a bit :) though i like the Solei and the Sidewinder (The sidewinder being their most common shape, and to me looks like an Americanised Ibanez! )

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1209022' date='Apr 23 2011, 11:01 AM']I wouldn't buy one as I don't like the design of these instruments no matter how well they play & how good they sound.

From what Bill C says about the service from the company that makes his budget range, it sound like a potential nightmare for any UK company who takes on local distribution/sales & has to handle support.[/quote]

And i agree, this propably the biggest flaw. Basically shot them selves in the foot.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1209023' date='Apr 23 2011, 11:02 AM']No. I'm sure they're excellent quality instruments, but they look ghastly and have a stupid name.

And I'm fundamentally very shallow.

Jon.[/quote]

+ 1

Except I don't see it as being shallow. There's nothing wrong with paying a lot of money for a bass and wanting it to look good as well as play/sound good.

At the end of the day, if people have that much money to spend on a bass, there are numerous builders here in the UK that could make you an instrument of similar quality but with the additional security/peace-of-mind that you have access to support if there are any issues, which is not the case with Conklin.

That alone would make me purchase from the UK.

Just to clarify, this isn't a sales pitch or anything. And i'm not saying don't buy Uk!
(I'm not saying anyone has accused me either, thought i'd just make this clear!)

But they idea of a Mass produced ERB (basically their strongest market point, and its a very small market, though it is getting bigger with this Technically metal stuff around these days!)

Not everyone wants to go custom! I wouldn't know where to start for example, but for many people on here it has been the best decision they've made so its all it preference!

And have you seen Eric Czars signature now? :) oo err,

I have two Conklin 7 strings (both Korean made), one a Bill Dickens (I think) through neck model and the other, not.

They play really well and sound great and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an extended range instrument, however if I understand your OP and you're thinking of importing them I would question whether it's worth the hassle with what sounds like less than consistant shipments etc. Obviously the comments regarding the look of them are very much subjective, I think they look great with 7 strings but the same shape looks less impressive in my opinion.

Anyway, just my 2p on the subject :)

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1209224' date='Apr 23 2011, 03:11 PM']I have two Conklin 7 strings (both Korean made), one a Bill Dickens (I think) through neck model and the other, not.

They play really well and sound great and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an extended range instrument, however if I understand your OP and you're thinking of importing them I would question whether it's worth the hassle with what sounds like less than consistant shipments etc. Obviously the comments regarding the look of them are very much subjective, I think they look great with 7 strings but the same shape looks less impressive in my opinion.

Anyway, just my 2p on the subject :)[/quote]

Thanks man!

That plus looking into getting a Conlin dealer in the UK but thats only possible if there is a market and not just 10 people in the UK!

Realistically, I don't think there is a big enough market for these basses in the UK. 6 string basses are hard enough to find, add to that an unreliable vendor and you've got a pretty lame business proposition sadly. I don't think I'd ever buy one, just because I know you can probably find better 7 strings elsewhere!

I too have owned the GTBD-7 - mine was a nice red one and sold to a guy in Spain before I got my Shukers. - I'd certainly recommend keeping your eyes open for a secondhand one.

You can pretty much expect to pay a good 25% extra on top of the UK equivalent of the US price when importing a bass due to all the various charges, tax and shipping - which for an £800 bass is probably more easy to swallow vs a £1500+

My personal opinion, taking the point made by skej21 is that I'm certainly more inclined to put that extra money toward after sales care / servicing of a complete custom instrument instead of losing it to Customs and Excise. I'd be less worried about driving my Bass up to Shuker than sending off back to the US too. That said - Conklin basses are great and I had really great comms with Bill (and TalkBass' John Turner who owns rather a large collection of Conklins!) when I was looking for mine - which incidently came from eBay USA!! - The GTBD-7 is a 'stock' signature instrument.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1209023' date='Apr 23 2011, 11:02 AM']... and have a stupid name.[/quote]
That's a bit previous, Jon, if you ask me. Mr Conklin had no choice in his name and neither, presumably, did his forebears, who include the under-rated silent film comedian Chester Conklin. What you're really saying is that he should change his name. Which would be confusing and a bit silly.

"Why did you change your name, Mr Ibanezkasugakawai-Antoria?"

"Some guy in the UK didn't like Conklin, so I thought, well, the customer is king, and all. Like."

As for the original question Would I buy a Conklin? No. My reasons are none of anyone's damned business.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1209271' date='Apr 23 2011, 04:27 PM']Mr Conklin had no choice in his name [...]

What you're really saying is that he should change his name. Which would be confusing and a bit silly.[/quote]

I think you've missed the point.

You're right in saying that Conklin didn't have a choice in his name (obviously), but he did have a choice in naming his brand of instruments.

I think Bassassin was trying to say that you don't HAVE to use your surname as the brand name and that maybe constructing a name to try and create a stronger brand identity would have been a better idea.

Much like Chris May creating Overwater.

Actually Mr DelVar's correct, as he usually is - I was - perhaps unreasonably, perhaps not - suggesting it would be advisable for Mr Conklin to change his name. It's not without precedent, if old Uncle Leo hadn't made the decision to Americanise his own handle when launching his range of new-fangled electromatic instuments, we'd all be playing Mudguard Precisions, and then how stupid would we all feel, eh?

J.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1209075' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:00 PM']Unfortunately (or stupidly) you can't! And the price would be insane, as the price is up for import tax from Korea to Usa, then they get sent out from there so thats extra tax from usa to here! Would get to almost £2K i think, which by then you may as well get a Custom, i'm sure you could get a "Simple" 7 string from Shuker or ACG for that made just for you.[/quote]

[quote name='skej21' post='1209084' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:09 PM']At the end of the day, if people have that much money to spend on a bass, there are numerous builders here in the UK that could make you an instrument of similar quality but with the additional security/peace-of-mind that you have access to support if there are any issues, which is not the case with Conklin.[/quote]
This seems to be a common misconception that one custom bass brand is an adequate replacement for another...

If you simply want a bass with 7 strings on it then sure there are luthiers in the UK who will make you such an instrument. Pick one you like and can get on with and off you go.

However if you want a Conklin 7 string bass then really only Conklin will be able to build it for you.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1209322' date='Apr 23 2011, 05:28 PM']However if you want a Conklin 7 string bass then really only Conklin will be able to build it for you.[/quote]

Good point well made - When I flip that around on my own circumstances - Yes, I'd probably have *still* had a Shuker even if he lived in the US. So I've learned something today!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1209322' date='Apr 23 2011, 05:28 PM']This seems to be a common misconception that one custom bass brand is an adequate replacement for another...

If you simply want a bass with 7 strings on it then sure there are luthiers in the UK who will make you such an instrument. Pick one you like and can get on with and off you go.

However if you want a Conklin 7 string bass then really only Conklin will be able to build it for you.[/quote]

I didn't mean to imply that,

hence why i said, if you want a 7 string bass you could get one from a UK based Luthier!

But conklin is a nice option as it is production, where as custom stuff can be a bit troublesome, especially when what you get isn't what you expected.

Its not the fact that its a Conklin, its just what it is, in a stock, budget(ish) if you live in the states!) 7 string bass (in the example of the GT abd GTBD-7s, honestly the GT4 and GT5 seem like Ibanez alternatives, and due to the price have little worth in the UK market IMHO, but not to discredit them, they are good basses!)

If i paid £1500+ and waited a few months, i'd want no compromises, even though realistically thats daft and impractical! Thats why i like stock things, but i'm not saying anything against custom instruments. I guess i'm just saying i'm fickle :)

If you want to dip into the world of 7 strings (not to focus on 7 strings, the post was in reference to the company as a whole, not just as a 7 string producer! Its just thats what they are best known for) going custom straight away doesn't seem right to me (as in i wouldn't feel comfertable doing that, it is 100% viable! And i have nothing against it) especially as i'm yet to play a Shuker or an AGC and unfortunately probably won't for a while! Though from what i've heard i should like them but its all about being hands on!

Like Dood, how do you think your Shuker would have come out if you hadn't previously owned your GTBD-7? (Not focusing on the fact that its a conklin here! But that its *influenced* Like the neck is very similar right?

Everything comes from something!

I'm not trying to say that its the only thing, or that everything should be based off something earlier if that were the case nothing would be new, just a different or "enhanced" based on your view! version.

I don't want that too come off wrong, but knowing me it probably did as i have poor verbal expression! I know i've tripped over me tongue more than once... I'm not trying to get into a whole "What would basses be like withour the fender p?" style thing here :)

Realistically if i were to get a bass with 7 strings, i'd either go El Cheapo and get an HK off Ebay, or go for a Shuker (and pester Dood!) haha!

As an extended range bass player (6 string is my main bass). I strongly recommend approaching someone like Robbie at RIM basses, or Jon Shuker. Their instruments are great, and very reasonably priced.

I played a Conklin GT 7 string bass a couple of years ago. It was very nice, but not as comfortable to play as it could have been. You need the neck profile and dimensions to be good for you. If it isn't then you'll very quickly run into problems playing it.

By going to someone like Robbie or Jon, you'd be able to tailor the bass to how you want it. You'd be involved with the build.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1209653' date='Apr 23 2011, 11:12 PM']As an extended range bass player (6 string is my main bass). I strongly recommend approaching someone like Robbie at RIM basses, or Jon Shuker. Their instruments are great, and very reasonably priced.

I played a Conklin GT 7 string bass a couple of years ago. It was very nice, but not as comfortable to play as it could have been. You need the neck profile and dimensions to be good for you. If it isn't then you'll very quickly run into problems playing it.

By going to someone like Robbie or Jon, you'd be able to tailor the bass to how you want it. You'd be involved with the build.[/quote]

Hypothetically, how would one get the dimensions tailored for yourself if you don't know anything about neck dimensions? :) I've always wondered that!

Off the peg stuff is easiest for me, as i can't travel far and know nuthin' 'bout nuthin' of techy stuff :) and i'd be all silly about body shapes haha

I've played a 7 string, custom made (not sure who by, i think the guy may have made it him self) and it felt comfertable enough to me and i'donly be able to describe it as far as "thin" haha

I have a feeling a custom 7 string Shuker would run past £2k or atleast mine probably would haha!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1209883' date='Apr 24 2011, 10:55 AM']Hypothetically, how would one get the dimensions tailored for yourself if you don't know anything about neck dimensions? :) I've always wondered that!

Off the peg stuff is easiest for me, as i can't travel far and know nuthin' 'bout nuthin' of techy stuff :) and i'd be all silly about body shapes haha

I've played a 7 string, custom made (not sure who by, i think the guy may have made it him self) and it felt comfertable enough to me and i'donly be able to describe it as far as "thin" haha

I have a feeling a custom 7 string Shuker would run past £2k or atleast mine probably would haha![/quote]

Basically they'd just give you a couple of basses to try, you'd be able to say if you like the neck shape etc. They'd be able to adjust the shape that you do like, making it wider, narrower etc.

I'd try Robbie at RIM basses. I think his basses look amazing, he's definitely top of my list for my next bass. I think his prices are a bit more competitive than other builders too.

Another builder to consider is Overwater. Their prices are more than the others mentioned though, but I can really recommend the build quality, the basses just ooze class.

Most builders are accessible by train or coach.