Why become a member? ×

Spotify upcoming changes

mep

As a fairly frequent user of Spotify Free / Open I now have to consider upgrading to the unlimited (or premium) service.

In case you might not be aware Spotfiy will be making changes to the Free service from 1st May. You will only have 10 hours of listening a month, but more alarmingly you will only be able to listen to any track for 5 times, so bang goes any playlists you might have. Check out [url="https://www.spotify.com/se/blog/archives/2011/04/14/upcoming-changes-to-spotify-free-open/"]https://www.spotify.com/se/blog/archives/20...tify-free-open/[/url]

I use Spotify as a source for checking out new songs for our set. Also the kids listen a lot, particulary to playlists and the same few bands.

I don't need the full Premium service at £9.99 per month as I don't listen offline or with my phone. The Unlimited service at £4.99 per month will have to do.

It seems the annoying adverts are not doing the trick with getting people to sign up.

What do you make of it and what will you be doing?

[quote name='mep' post='1207511' date='Apr 21 2011, 08:46 PM']What do you make of it and what will you be doing?[/quote]

Simple, I'll stop using it. I used Spotify because it was free (even with adverts) and due to the large library of music. If they want to change that, I'll look elsewhere.

Probably grooveshark, even though it's not as good.

I think I'm going to upgrade to be honest. It'd be nice to be able to use my blackberry as a dedicated music device rather than carrying my ipod around as well. On top of which with premium you can stream at 320kbps which is something ive wanted for a while.

Its a shame, for sure. But its a great service that I'm willing to pay for.

I always used Grooveshark anyway, it's very similar only with no ads and a lot of rarer stuff on it.

In saying that, I rarely use it. I still don't really like the idea of it, it's another way to give free music to punters whilst barely paying the musicians involved any money. It's moderately better than pirating but if you're a small band, those fractions of pennies won't really add up.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1207544' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:26 PM']I think I'm going to upgrade to be honest. It'd be nice to be able to use my blackberry as a dedicated music device rather than carrying my ipod around as well. On top of which with premium you can stream at 320kbps which is something ive wanted for a while.

Its a shame, for sure. But its a great service that I'm willing to pay for.[/quote]

There isn't an app for BlackBerry yet though :)

I dunno what I'm going to do, I tried out the 7 day trial and then afterwards the cheeky b*****ds took a month fee out of my bank account. Cancelled it now, but at least an email saying my trial was coming to an end would be nice! I can't see the point in keeping premium though, but I don't like having a cap put on what I listen too. Especially when I'm doing a show or something like that, I want to familiarise myself with what I'm playing. Shouldn't have to pay for that!

[quote name='goblin' post='1207560' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:36 PM']There isn't an app for BlackBerry yet though :)

I dunno what I'm going to do, I tried out the 7 day trial and then afterwards the cheeky b*****ds took a month fee out of my bank account. Cancelled it now, but at least an email saying my trial was coming to an end would be nice! I can't see the point in keeping premium though, but I don't like having a cap put on what I listen too. Especially when I'm doing a show or something like that, I want to familiarise myself with what I'm playing. Shouldn't have to pay for that![/quote]

Oh Crap. Well thats that idea out the window then! heh.

[quote name='goblin' post='1207570' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:42 PM']Yup :) I've got a Storm2 and have been waiting for ages. I can run it on my dad's HTC Legend, or an Iphone. But they've then gone and made it compatible with Palms and stuff. Surely the BlackBerry is more popular than a Palm?![/quote]

You'd think so! The annoying thing is Grooveshark DOES have a BB app, although I hate the layout and general feel of it so I wouldnt want to pay for it.

I'm going to stop using it. I've not used it in ages anyway. I usually just plug my iPod into my speakers at home, and when I need to find a song I don't own, I tend to just Youtube it. I think the changes are going to ruin Spotify though.

I'll stop using it, as simple as that.

I'm certainly not paying £4.99 a month. I don't spend £60 on music in a year anyway, so I'm certainly not paying for a service that, at the moment, I rarely use.

It would seem that another potential 'model' for the music industry has disappeared. What next?

I pay the tenner already. Not only do you get most of the history of popular music on tap and the community of sharing playlists and discovering new music, be it on a mobile or at home, you can set chosen music to 'offline', so it's always there, no need to stream. An instant IPod, albeit with a tiny tariff, one that at least makes a minor contribution to the artists. No brainer

[quote name='grahamd' post='1207656' date='Apr 21 2011, 10:49 PM']I pay the tenner already. Not only do you get most of the history of popular music on tap and the community of sharing playlists and discovering new music, be it on a mobile or at home, you can set chosen music to 'offline', so it's always there, no need to stream. An instant IPod, albeit with a tiny tariff, one that at least makes a minor contribution to the artists. No brainer[/quote]

Great service, I use it all the time. My MP3 player packed up and I lost 4000 tracks, not backed up. :) Got them all on playlists for a fiver a month and idiot proof. Ace.

[quote name='grahamd' post='1207656' date='Apr 21 2011, 10:49 PM']I pay the tenner already. Not only do you get most of the history of popular music on tap and the community of sharing playlists and discovering new music, be it on a mobile or at home, you can set chosen music to 'offline', so it's always there, no need to stream. An instant IPod, albeit with a tiny tariff, one that at least makes a minor contribution to the artists. No brainer[/quote]

I pay too. I must use it for 8 hours a day during work, my cycle to and from work and listening at home. Absolutely vital to my sanity! The idea of browsing Youtube every 3 minutes for the next song seems ridiculous.

Academic since Spotify's been borked on my PC since the last update anyway. I used it a lot at first but have to say I haven't really missed it much, so they can do what they want, not really interested any more.

This looks like a misstep though & I strongly suspect it'll be the end of Spotify. But so what, eh? :)

Jon.

[quote name='skej21' post='1207515' date='Apr 21 2011, 08:54 PM']Simple, I'll stop using it. I used Spotify because it was free (even with adverts) and due to the large library of music. If they want to change that, I'll look elsewhere.[/quote]

Ill ditto that