Why become a member? ×

How many of us play guitar as well ?

Les

Play both guitar and bass, sometimes change between the two at a gig, bassist 99% of the time though. Knowing how to get the most out of both instruments helps with my writing but I will confess apart from the basic fretboard, powerchord and maj minor shapes my theory sucked until I picked up bass and started having lessons again.

Started off playing bass, but started playing guitar as well later on.
I've spent far more money on guitar equipment than I ever did on bass stuff. I was playing guitar pretty much exclusively about 8 years ago, but I've now come full circle, sold most of my guitar stuff & play bass 99% of the time now.
I play keyboards as well.

I do, probably more than I play bass when I'm at home. I find it to be an invaluable tool for writing music.

I have a Norman B18 acoustic which is absolutely stonking for the dosh, I dont see myself ever selling it. Beautiful warm tone.

I started on guitar in my youth (must have been 8 or 9) but I was dreadful, so gave up (mind you the gear I had was truly awful!).

Then in my mid/late teens started playing bass. Eventually picked up guitar again as I started writing tunes/songs for the band(s) I was in and got okay at it but have never felt that comfortable on it and if asked, I state categorically that I'm a bassist. Also played a little keyboard, but again solely to write idea for songs, I'm even worse on keys than on guitar but thank goodness for MIDI programming :)

Guitar in my own bands, bass in other people's. Mostly because I've never been good enough doing the lead vocals and bass thing, but the lead vocals and guitar thing is easy. Also play drums, which I've always thought more beneficial to my bass playing than playing guitar.

Dyed in the wool bassist here - never played guitar, and from the moment I started enjoying listening to music it was bass that had my attention.

Besides; I just wasn't interested in having to learn chords and put up with constantly breaking strings! (only broken a bass string once in nearly 30 years). :)

Did a year or two of really shabby guitar playing before converting when I was about 14. Eventually learned to play guitar to a decent standard too, have done the odd gig here and there on guitar (mostly acoustic stuff) but do use it writing songs for my band.

+1 to Noel about the drums - playing drums, or at least understanding them better than I used to, has made me a much better player, and improved my arrangements too.

[quote name='Rich' post='1203300' date='Apr 18 2011, 10:03 AM']...apart from a bit of noodling around on the obligatory pawn-shop acoustic. Everyone should have one. :)[/quote]

Yep, got mine!

Well, the missus bought it off eBay for £10, but the neck is slightly warped and the damn thing can't be tuned properly.

Well, that's my excuse anyway... :)

i have to admit to being a guitarist too, i have more guitars than basses including an amazing handmade mcIlroy acoustic that was a wedding present to myself, but 9 times out of 10 when asked to play it's the bass, only really admitted that i was a bassist last year when i bought my '77 precision, couldn't keep on decieving myself after i'd spent that much on a bass.
i guess i'm happy as long as i've got frets and strings (although i have serious GAS for a fretless jazz) i generally pick up whatever's to hand when i feel like a noodle.

(i'll also admit to owning a mandolin, a banjo and a uke but haven't really mastered any of them)

i found that moving from guitar to bass was fairly smooth but then i wanted a bass when i was a kid (but the local shop only had decent electric guitars, the basses were useless) so i guess i might just have been a frustrated bassist all these years.

Matt

I've been playing guitar since 1969, bass since 1985.

I much prefer bass and haven't gigged on guitar since taking it up.

I'm a better acoustic player than electric although I have a nice strat, a jazz box and several acoustics the nicest one being an Avalon.

I think it's useful but not essential for a bass player to also play guitar. It means you have an advantage when jamming or on "just turn up" gigs because you can read the guitarists fingers.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1204287' date='Apr 18 2011, 10:32 PM']I have ... several acoustics the nicest one being an Avalon.[/quote]
When in Ireland you have to own an Avalon, or a Lowden; just like when being in Scotland you have to own a Moon (which I do - and lovely it is too).

My foray in to Bass started I'm sure like many others - I plyaed guitar first, because I didn't really know much about the Bass guitar when I was aged 8 or so - but I soon discovered the low end and I'd began on Bass in earnest around age 12 and had my first Bass guitar aged 13. I never stopped playing guitar as well and we had a pinao in the house too. It wasn't long before my brother took up drums so I had that to fiddle on at times too! Later on I played lead guitar in a local metal band for 6 years or so, whilst my Bass took a back seat. Feeling the call of the low end whilst experiencing the demise of said band, I moved to full time ERBs and have been there ever since. I have guitars that I play all the time and keys in the house as well. I think it's very important for a bass player to have an understanding of other instruments too, especially to play some drums!

Started on guitar because my folks wouldn't let me have drums, doubled on drums when I moved in with my grandparents who had a garage, switched back to guitar when I moved to Uni accomodation, switched to bass because everyone else was better at guitar and drums than me, got fairly good at bass, spent the next six or seven years doing it...

Now mainly doing drums and guitar actually :) I think I have longer-term attention-deficet-disor...oh look, a bee...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing bass since the age of 11 (1998) and double bass since 15. I started playing guitar a bit at the age of 16 after my brother went away to college, leaving his 1978 Strat at home. I couldn't really resist that. I have since bought my own guitar, a Fender US deluxe Toronado, which I consider to be a great guitar for bassists (thick sound, doesn't seem to suit virtuoso players). I will never be very good, but I am an okay rhythm player.

I got my first guitar is 2006 I think, and never really got anywhere with it. I still have a couple now, but they rarely get touched unless I hear something I want to try to play - I'd say I'm pretty poor on guitar all round. Got my first bass in the middle of 2009, got into it later that year and since then I'd say I play it practically every day if I can.

I don't know what it is, I just find it infinitely more enjoyable and rewarding, and took to it much more easily. It works out because my mates play guitar so I fit in there too :)