Why become a member? ×

It's hard trying to find a good 5-string...

Baseballfan1456

Not sure what price range you're looking at, but I've just bought an Ibanez ATK305. Really nice growly tone - very similar to my Warwick $$, and very good value for money. My only gripe is that the string spacing is a bit tighter than I would like (around 17mm), but otherwise its hard to fault for the price.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='137463' date='Feb 10 2008, 08:58 AM']I have a '93 Fender HM that sounds like satan farting.....

:huh:[/quote]
That’s right. - blame the bass / dog / whatever
Curiously, all of my basses sound like the wife nagging unless I play through headphones………. :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='137733' date='Feb 10 2008, 06:17 PM']Ok, I'll be the first to suggest a Lakland, a superb low B and they easily out-growl a very growly thing :)

Hamster[/quote]

And ill back that up.
I have a 55-01 and now that i have a NTMB preamp in it it sounds very close to my Jazz.
The low B does indeed growl and its very tight. I much prefer it to a Jazz 5, mainly because of the low B and the neck.
shame i have to sell it ;-)
As its a 55-01 its at the bottom for the Laklkand 5 string range but from what i have heard any of the Laklkands have a great low end.
They do a couple of 5 string Jazz style bass's.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Shaggy' post='137955' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:43 AM']That’s right. - blame the bass / dog / whatever[/quote]

I'm not quite sure I understand where you're coming from there....

I always thought that Satans farts would be the most growly thing imaginable.....

What would I be blaming my bass for that when it is exactly what I want to do.... (well if it had wider fretboardit woud be EXACTLY what I want)

Confused..... :)

Apologies for the misplaced humour Burpster - reading your first post I was suffering the post-traumatic stress of a Sunday nite band practice featuring the most flatulent lead guitarist on the planet, who will shamelessly blame his guitar, amp, or any other animate or inanimate object. Our (female) vocalist prefers the far end of the stage to him.
Well, I’ve never heard Satan's growly farts, but it must be impressive – sound-clips please!

[quote name='Faithless' post='137728' date='Feb 10 2008, 05:59 PM']If ya got about 700 pounds, then I'd proudly suggest you Ibanez SR Prestige series. Damn huge output, great low B, veeery wide Mid Freq.[/quote]

Ha! if he has about £700 I'd recommend a used Alembic Epic. As growly as a bulldog on steroids :)

Status - series 2 or Empathy. Great B, very well made and about £800 used.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='138945' date='Feb 12 2008, 04:14 PM']If he's got £700 ($1500) he'll be buying a US std P bass 5string and he'll be a very happy Hector no doubt.

And putting 400 bucks toward a growly amp....[/quote]

Edited by Bassy

[quote name='Bassy' post='139694' date='Feb 13 2008, 05:11 PM']Status - series 2 or Empathy. Great B, very well made and about £800 used.[/quote]

Look at where he's from.... They are rare as a PC Jade Goody in the UK let alone the good ole US of A, besides if one did come up over there it would eleventy squizillion dollars!