Why become a member? ×

Wal Bass and Electric Wood

themurm523

So I'm writing a paper in one of my classes which about guitars/basses in culture. The paper can pretty much be about anything, so I decided to do one about the Wal Bass and Electric Wood. I have always been fascinated with the basses, how they sound, look, are made, designed and so forth. I have gathered a bunch of information off the website, but I wanted to ask real players as well. Thats where basschat.co.uk comes in. Basically what I am trying to do is find out about the company, I know the basic information off the site, but was wondering if there are on interesting facts that are not on the website. Also what players use wals. (I know Justin Chancellor, Geddy Lee, Paul McArtney, Jeff Ament, Mick Karn, and Flea all use(d) one.) But perhaps any other famous people I should know about. Another thing would be the debate over which wal's are better the older ones or the more recently made ones since they returned into production. Any and all information would be very much appreciated.

Edited by themurm523

[quote name='themurm523' post='1200973' date='Apr 15 2011, 05:13 PM']So I'm writing a paper in one of my classes which about guitars/basses in culture. The paper can pretty much be about anything, so I decided to do one about the Wal Bass and Electric Wood. I have always been fascinated with the basses, how they sound, look, are made, designed and so forth. I have gathered a bunch of information off the website, but I wanted to ask real players as well. Thats where [size=3]BASSCHAT.CO.UK[/size] comes in. Basically what I am trying to do is find out about the company, I know the basic information off the site, but was wondering if there are on interesting facts that are not on the website. Also what players use wals. (I know Justin Chancellor, Geddy Lee, Paul McArtney, Jeff Ament, Mick Karn, and Flea all use(d) one.) But perhaps any other famous people I should know about. Another thing would be the debate over which wal's are better the older ones or the more recently made ones since they returned into production. Any and all information would be very much appreciated.[/quote]

fixed it for you. really interesting topic for a paper, sorry I dont know anything though. Best of luck!

John Gustafson from Gordon Giltrap band
Percy Jones from Brand X
John Giblin from Brand X and later Simple Minds and many other bands in between had fretted and fretless versions.

Have you checked the website for past users. ?

Anyone who was anyone in early 80's probably had a WAL at some point.

I also had a fretless in early 80's :)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1201263' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:23 PM']...
Anyone who was anyone in early 80's probably had a WAL at some point.
...[/quote]

Me too, finally it appears I really was someone, once :)

Seriously though the site [url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/"]http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/[/url] is a great resource. And dmccombe7 is absolutely right, the early 80's Wal's were used by loads of people.

You should definitely know about Jonas Hellborg using a Wal twin neck, Martin Kemp was (and still is) well known for using Wal's, Nick Beggs used one if I recall - wikipedia lists a fair few players [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal_(bass)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal_(bass)[/url]

Edited by purpleblob

Do They Know It's Christmas was recorded using a Wal.

Alan Spenner recorded his Roxy Music sessions using a Wal.

Pete Stevens couldn't play a musical instrument. Pete was the wood person and Wal designed the electrics.

Edited by chris_b

My baby is semi retired now, but still comes out to play & record on a fairly regular basis as it is so easy to play and punchy.

And all from a small operation in High Wycombe (as was) over a furniture builder as I recall. Went up in '96 to drop mine off for an overhaul. Nice chat with Pete, try of other stuff in at the time, coffees and came away with it booked in for a great deal more work than I took it up for. Picked it up a few weeks later converted to active. Lovely :)

Mind I don't 'spose that helps much

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the song "Lone Ranger" was the first single in top 100 charts to use a WAL bass and I think it was by the guy who built it.
Would need to do some background checks on that one unless BC'ers can verify for us.

Cheers
Dave

:) I bought a wal in 92, a few years later had a problem with one of the tuning pegs
it was stiff, Gave Pete a call he said bring it in, Took it to wal,
As i walked in Pete had a look straight away he led me to a room full of wal basses hanging up ,and said try any out ,ordered me a cup of tea left
me in there for 20 mins(not long enough as i have never seen so many wals in one room, could have stayed allday)
Then Pete said all done! in that time he replaced peg with new one , put on new set of strings cleaned the bass up.
and said NO CHARGE!!!
What service!
I still have that wal and will never sell it.
Trev.

[quote name='themurm523' post='1200973' date='Apr 15 2011, 05:13 PM']I wanted to ask real players as well. [i]Thats where talkbass.com comes in. [/i][b][/b][/quote]

Talkbass.com?!! But this is Basschat! :)

Only kidding!

I almost bought a WAL in the mid 80's before I had Chris Larkin build my fretless Reacter (see my avatar)

No regrets but if I had the money to spare I'd definately go for one of the old school WAL's. They just look and sound superb.

Anyhoo, best of luck with your paper.

JDJ

[quote name='johnDeereJack' post='1202029' date='Apr 16 2011, 02:04 PM']Talkbass.com?!! But this is Basschat! :)

Only kidding![/quote]

Hahah Yea I made the same post in Talkbass before comming here and I just copy pasted the type from there, forgetting I added that in there.
Other than that thanks SO much for all the help!

[quote name='RhysP' post='1202005' date='Apr 16 2011, 06:23 PM']And of course Rupert Hine from Quantum Jump went on to produce Rush during Geddys Wal period.
It all links together....... :)[/quote]

Ah ! the plot thickens. !!!

Hadn't picked up on that fact either

cheers mate.
Dave
:)

I think Peter Collins (Rush producer, amongst others) introduced Geddy Lee to the Wal, and thus began a new phase of tone for said bass player. Dire straits bassist also used one (if he hasn't been mentioned) and Rob Burns (TV sessions etc and tutor at basstech) used them extensively.

they are fab!

Used to spot them regularly on TOTP in the '80's - Steve Severin in Siouxie & the Banshees, and the singer/bassist in Black ("Wonderful Life") to name but two.

I seeem to recall one was used on Buggles "Video killed the Radio Star", but could be wrong.......

Getting all nostalgic now :)

Edit: oh and the bassist in "Frankie goes to Hollywood", not sure if he actually played it or it was purely a prop for outrageous miming. :)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1204454' date='Apr 19 2011, 09:12 AM']Did anyone mention the guy from Dire Straits - wasn't his black Wal on show at Live Aid.[/quote]

That's John Illsley - and yep he played his black one at Live Aid.

Another player - Gary Tibbs played a Wenge MK1 Custom with Adam & The Ants