Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson - Fender Bass?

Linus27

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1200137' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:55 PM']But where are they now? Rare, very collectible and so pricey, I guess.[/quote]
Well, got £900 (ish) for the one I sold on eBay, in 2005. Around the same time I got £800 (ish) for an '87 G&L El Toro.

There's one in my anorak bass book, it 'looks' like a simple 90/91 MIA Vintage Series P bass re-issue of his colour combination of sunburst/tort pickguard/rosewood with dual pup guards, tug bar, ID'd neckplate and a bit of paper saying what it was, there isn't even a unique headstock sticker on the front as far as I know... and 100 off made by agreement with his family.

as an aside, I thought he simply used a regular bass (basses!)....with flats so high you could limbo dance under them, and as both his main basses were stolen it isn't based on anything special?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1200137' date='Apr 14 2011, 11:55 PM']But where are they now? Rare, very collectible and so pricey, I guess.[/quote]
No wonder Fender got lazy and stopped trying when they realised people would spend extra on a standard bass with a plate on it that just said James Jamerson!!

[quote name='iconic' post='1200267' date='Apr 15 2011, 08:03 AM']it 'looks' like a simple 90/91 MIA Vintage Series P bass re-issue of his colour combination of sunburst/tort pickguard/rosewood with dual pup guards, tug bar, ID'd neckplate and a bit of paper saying what it was ... and as both his main basses were stolen it isn't based on anything special?[/quote]
Built by the Fender Custom Shop, at a time when CS instrumets were only ever produced in small quantities, or to order, and were the equivalent of what Fender would call master-built today. My reason for buying one was the quality - it was the best built Fender I've owned, completely blowing away an original '72 P'bass and 80s P'bass Special. If it hadn't been new I'd have been convinced it was a 60s instrument - from its feel and sound.

As for what it was based on, I'd always understood that James Jamerson Jr was in possession of one of his father's basses.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='chris_b' post='1200303' date='Apr 15 2011, 08:32 AM']No wonder Fender got lazy and stopped trying when they realised people would spend extra on a standard bass with a plate on it that just said James Jamerson!![/quote]
The Bass Centre were also the first people to give the world a Fender-built Jaco signature Jazz Bass, so maybe it's them we should blame for the current trend for reissues badged as signature editions.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='1200415' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:58 AM']....As for what it was based on, I'd always understood that James Jamerson Jr was in possession of one of his father's basses....[/quote]
All (both ?) JJ's Precision basses were stolen.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1200427' date='Apr 15 2011, 11:04 AM']The Bass Centre were also the first people to give the world a Fender-built Jaco signature Jazz Bass, so maybe it's them we should blame for the current trend for reissues badged as signature editions.[/quote]
I have a Fender catalogue from about 10 years ago. There are over 50 sig Strats!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1200455' date='Apr 15 2011, 11:17 AM']All (both ?) JJ's Precision basses were stolen.[/quote]

Wasn't one recovered about a year or so ago?

Bass Player Mag ran an article on it - way over the top editorial about you could [i]feel Jamerson't presence in the room[/i] sort of stuff

[quote name='molan' post='1200459' date='Apr 15 2011, 11:20 AM']Wasn't one recovered about a year or so ago?

Bass Player Mag ran an article on it - way over the top editorial about you could [i]feel Jamerson't presence in the room[/i] sort of stuff[/quote]

Was that not one of Jaco's basses?