Why become a member? ×

B-E-A-D

danny-79

Apart from the obvious choice an just using a fiver, just want some advice from people who have/do use the tuning .
Apart from the obvious set up (intonation,nut etc) got all that covered.
I'm just in a situation ware I'm needing to tune down (i.e past concert pitch) so I'm thinking go the whole hog on second bass an BEAD it.
Just never done it before (never needed to) so any tips, suggestions I'm all ears to.
Either going to use a five string set or would an easier option be to try a set of DR Drop tune strings first see how i get on with them, do they even drop that low in standard gage ?
All tips an suggestions please ! :)

[quote name='danny-79' post='1192154' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:37 PM']Apart from the obvious choice an just using a fiver, just want some advice from people who have/do use the tuning .
Apart from the obvious set up (intonation,nut etc) got all that covered.
I'm just in a situation ware I'm needing to tune down (i.e past concert pitch) so I'm thinking go the whole hog on second bass an BEAD it.
Just never done it before (never needed to) so any tips, suggestions I'm all ears to.
Either going to use a five string set or would an easier option be to try a set of DR Drop tune strings first see how i get on with them, do they even drop that low in standard gage ?
All tips an suggestions please ! :)[/quote]

Personally I'd just get a five string,but using the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set and getting a proper set up
is all that you really need to do and you'll be fine.

Just out of interest (pedantic?),even though you're tuning down,you are still in concert pitch-A is still an A,it's just in a different place.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1192178' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:52 PM']Personally I'd just get a five string,but using the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set and getting a proper set up
is all that you really need to do and you'll be fine.

Just out of interest (pedantic?),even though you're tuning down,you are still in concert pitch-A is still an A,it's just in a different place.[/quote]

+1

Just get a 5er. You're just making hard work for yourself and chances are, it wont work anywhere near as well as just having an instrument built for the job.

Also (Doddy), I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a pedantic twinge whilst reading through :)

I've played a 5 in my band for a year or so due to the drop tuning they use, however I've recently sold it and purchased a 4 string which I've strung up BEAD. It works absolutely fine after a decent setup (including filing the nut slots a touch). I never really use the dusty end of the G string so I'm not really missing anything, but the thinner neck is heaven after playing a 5 for so long.

I say go for it. Use a 5 string set and discard the G.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='1192218' date='Apr 7 2011, 08:31 PM']Completely different style from the above video, Paul Gray from Slipknot used BEAD and Drop AEAD on four string most of the time in Slipknot as well.[/quote]

Yeah, Paul Gray used BEAD and BF#BE

Troy Sanders from Mastodon uses AEAD sometimes too,

[quote name='Doddy' post='1192178' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:52 PM']Just out of interest (pedantic?),even though you're tuning down,you are still in concert pitch-A is still an A,it's just in a different place.[/quote]

Sorry, Standard 440 EADG was what i ment :)

[quote name='danny-79' post='1193110' date='Apr 8 2011, 05:42 PM']Sorry, Standard 440 EADG was what i ment :)[/quote]

I know...I'm just being pedantic. :)
You mean standard tuning not concert pitch.....Even in BEAD or drop D or whatever A is still 440 hz

[quote name='Doddy' post='1193113' date='Apr 8 2011, 05:47 PM']I know...I'm just being pedantic. :)
You mean standard tuning not concert pitch.....Even in BEAD or drop D or whatever A is still 440 hz[/quote]

See thats exactly what happened when a bass player tries using big words lol me bad
when i was a little lad, my guitar tutor told me 'concert pitch' so it kind of stuck..... (still don't no what it means, don't no what 'pedantic' means lol)
Thanks again guys !

[quote name='danny-79' post='1193117' date='Apr 8 2011, 05:50 PM']Thats for advice so far to all, gonna order a five string set now an see how it goes, It could be the start of something completely different .... WIN WIN if nothing else :)[/quote]
please keep us posted with the results.

i have an old Hohner Jack that i'm thinking to do the same thing with.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1193121' date='Apr 8 2011, 05:55 PM']please keep us posted with the results.

i have an old Hohner Jack that i'm thinking to do the same thing with.[/quote]

Will do.

Just ordered some strings, the set up obviously isn't as simple as just putting heaver strings on it, bridge, truss rod will need adjusting an an most important will need to make sure that the strings are sitting in the nut properly. this is the slightly irreversible bit, the nut will need filing to take the drastically heaver strings, if you don't file it (most likely the B string) will eventually end up splitting the nut plus other issues, so its a decision thats worth putting some thought into before you start. (at worse if want to put it back to standard, will just need to replace the nut).

[quote name='danny-79' post='1193126' date='Apr 8 2011, 06:08 PM']Will do.

Just ordered some strings, the set up obviously isn't as simple as just putting heaver strings on it, bridge, truss rod will need adjusting an an most important will need to make sure that the strings are sitting in the nut properly. this is the slightly irreversible bit, the nut will need filing to take the drastically heaver strings, if you don't file it (most likely the B string) will eventually end up splitting the nut plus other issues, so its a decision thats worth putting some thought into before you start. (at worse if want to put it back to standard, will just need to replace the nut).[/quote]
mmm.. food for thought..

the nut on the 'Jack' is pretty non-standard too, i shall get my local bass tech to advise me on the possibility.

cheers.

Used to have a precision tuned BEAD, just used a 5 string set minus the G. Simple enough to do, good results when it was set up properly. Didn't even need to adjust the truss rod, the overall tension was pretty much the same but needed intonation and saddle height adjusting.

It will work fine, you don't need "an instrument built for the job" :) Plus, if you don't like it you can just change back to EADG, rather than being stuck with 5 strings :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1193131' date='Apr 8 2011, 06:15 PM']mmm.. food for thought..

the nut on the 'Jack' is pretty non-standard too, i shall get my local bass tech to advise me on the possibility.

cheers.[/quote]

I don't no enough (if anything) about the nut on a headless jack bass to comment.
If I'm right its either double ball end strings that go on it or there clamped it an the the excess cut off etc, so as far as how that would complicate thing string spacing wise ??? don't know sorry .
The bass I'm planning on doing this to is a Stingray so lots of room to work with
Sorry not a lot of help.

[quote name='Protium' post='1193136' date='Apr 8 2011, 06:26 PM']Used to have a precision tuned BEAD, just used a 5 string set minus the G. Simple enough to do, good results when it was set up properly. Didn't even need to adjust the truss rod, the overall tension was pretty much the same but needed intonation and saddle height adjusting.

It will work fine, you don't need "an instrument built for the job" :) Plus, if you don't like it you can just change back to EADG, rather than being stuck with 5 strings :)[/quote]

Yeah thats my theory, not a fan of fiver's so BEAD on a four is the logical thing to do.
An if id don't work out, don't like it, cant get on with it, etc change it back :lol:

It'll be fine. I have a Bass Collection SB310 strung BEAD and it's been fine. The truss rod won't need that much adjustment: the point of using different string gauges is to have a consistent tension so there isn't that much difference between a low B and a high G.

Got it set up now an to my surprise it went smoother than i expected it to go, my biggest concern was the nut but no filing needed there, just a slight truss intonation an truss rod adjustment, no unwanted rattles or buzzes an getting some great/different/interesting sounds from putting in slides going up to notes on the same string etc.

Having fun with it at the minute, totally different playing style so its still a novelty, just bit limited with the lack of G.

(everything is telling me, as much as don't want to admit it or like the idea of it...... gotta get a fiver :) )

[quote name='danny-79' post='1201174' date='Apr 15 2011, 09:13 PM']Got it set up now an to my surprise it went smoother than i expected it to go, my biggest concern was the nut but no filing needed there, just a slight truss intonation an truss rod adjustment, no unwanted rattles or buzzes an getting some great/different/interesting sounds from putting in slides going up to notes on the same string etc.

Having fun with it at the minute, totally different playing style so its still a novelty, just bit limited with the lack of G.

(everything is telling me, as much as don't want to admit it or like the idea of it...... gotta get a fiver :) )[/quote]
thanks for the update, i am tempted for punk/metal/reggae stuff, although a fiver seems the more sensible option.

also equally tempted by the idea of a seperate 4-string set-up with ADGC (not tuned down) for use exclusively with an octave pedal (-1 oct, to clarify), just as a synth-type bass for d'n'b/dub requirements, mmmmm.

so many possibilities, so little cash... :)

Edited by phil.i.stein