Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else avoid open strings?

gub

Open E and A all the time but fretted D on the A string and fretted G on the D string is my normal route. I can't stand the tone of the A on the E string. If fact I don't like the tone of many notes from the A upwards on the E string. Much prefer the tone on the A String.

Open E & A are ok. I'd rather fret the D & G as other have mentioned.

Open notes are great if you need to do something else like drink, adjust something on the mixer which seems to be me or the drummer. I can also gesture with my hand like when we played Walking by Myself by Gary Moore (RIP) and the singer was bored so he changed the lyrics to the obvious, so I joined in with my left hand! His mum who was watching almost had a fit! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1178267' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:48 PM']also some of the basslines I play use open/drone strings against fretted melody played on another string.[/quote]

Likewise - I am partial to the odd bit of droning too.

Generally try to avoid them on the basis that if you learn something without using open strings than you can slide the the whole shebangle up, down and across the fretboard to change the key.

However, as people have said, there are times when they are are useful for that big open sound, or when your using it as a drone or pedal note.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1178247' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:32 PM']I play a lot of opens, my main bass has a 0 fret though which sorts out tonal inconsistencies.[/quote]

Kerching! +1

Three of my basses have a Zero Fret (two because they're headless), and 2 are Warwicks with Brass Just-a-nuts on them. I've always thought that the tonality these exhibit on open strings quite closely matches fretted notes. Perhaps it's the fret material they use?
So "no" I don't really dodge open strings..

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1183533' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:47 PM']No notes or tones should be avoided- it will limit you- keep an open mind.

Just my tuppence[/quote]

Precisiely. Why limit yourself? And although the physics may well indentify a differrence between an open string on, say, a bone nut, and a fretted note, if it was a massive difference, there wouldn't BE bone (or anything else) nuts - just metal nuts or zero frets. For certain, no-one listening live or even to a record, is ever going to hear that differrence.

And yes, I use 'em all the time. They do require extra thought for damping, but that becomes as automatic as any other part of your technique.

I agree. Who but you is ever going to notice the tonal difference? I used to religiously stick to the thicker strings (25 years ago) but over time find I now go with whichever fingering involves the least movement. I hate jumping around the neck when not necessary and I use open strings whenever they can help with this. A lot of the time I don't watch my left hand so it helps to stay in 1st or 2nd position using open strings rather than sliding up the neck.

[quote name='Telebass' post='1190555' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:48 PM']And although the physics may well indentify a differrence between an open string on, say, a bone nut, and a fretted note, if it was a massive difference, there wouldn't BE bone (or anything else) nuts - just metal nuts or zero frets. For certain, no-one listening live or even to a record, is ever going to hear that differrence.[/quote]

I disagree, I think there are advantages to having the tonal difference as well as disadvantages so there's no reason to "fix" something that's not a problem. There's not a lot of difference in the tone but when there's so many threads about maple vs rosewood boards, lots people obviously care about every little difference in their tone. As you say though, I doubt people 99.9999% of people would notice and it's unlikely the last 0.0001% of people would care anyway. :) I know although I like having the 0 fret for the consistency, I've never played a bass and thought "I wish this had a 0 fret", it's just nice when it does have one (IMO).

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1178264' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:43 PM']+1
Also when the vocalist wants his mike turned up!! :)[/quote]

+1

Or I feel the need to wave at someone I know.

Or last weekend, because I needed to cup my hand round my ear so I could hear what the punter who had come round the side of the stage to make a request was saying - WHILE WE WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG.

I would have ignored her but she was gorgeous and I was concerned that it might have been perceived as rudeness. I am, after all, a gentleman of the bass persuasion.