Why become a member? ×

Easy Songs.

Spider-dan

Hi,

Me and my friends are looking to start a band, just for a hobby with potential for small gigs, friends BBQ's etc. We all play at different levels and it's been challenging when thinking of material we can all play that isn't too difficult for one or more members.

So i'm looking for suggestions of simple rock songs we can belt out and piss the neighbours off with.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Spider-dan

Depends entirely on what kind of music you'd like to be playing. Any ideas?

If you're going for the stereotypical beginner band then have a look at the back catalogue of Green Day, Pixies, Blink 182, Weezer, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, Offspring... The list is endless.

Basically, I'm guessing you'll mostly want to play pop punk stuff that your mates will all know, and there's loads out there. Just make sure you practise. Simple songs are fine, but simple songs played badly are the things that boil my piss.

Edited by burray

Well we already play some Queens of the Stone age songs and some Nirvana. We're not massively into pop-punk. We basically want to get a few covers down so we have something to rehearse. We may even introduce a few of our own. But for now the goal is to have fun. .

[quote name='Spider-dan' post='1173404' date='Mar 23 2011, 03:20 PM']Hi,

Me and my friends are looking to start a band, just for a hobby with potential for small gigs, friends BBQ's etc. We all play at different levels and it's been challenging when thinking of material we can all play that isn't too difficult for one or more members.

So i'm looking for suggestions of simple rock songs we can belt out and piss the neighbours off with.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

With my new band we have been practicing fairly hard doing stuff which we all want to do but we have got to the point (learnt 17-18 songs) where we just want to get a few gigs under our belt so we are gonna stick a few real easy ones in there to get going, our prospective list to chose from is:

Alright now
Sweet home Alabama
Twist and shout
Anything by the Kinks
Just looking- stereophonics
Zombie-cranberries
There she goes
Paranoid
Teenage dirtbag

There should be a few there....have fun!! :)

[quote name='TommyK' post='1173467' date='Mar 23 2011, 04:11 PM']Anything by the Kinks[/quote]

I found "Sunny Afternoon" quite hard. "All Day and All of the Night" is easier, although there's plenty of room for "how many times do I play this riff, and then what happens?" moments.

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='1173583' date='Mar 23 2011, 05:40 PM']this question crops up a lot, then you find some quite difficult songs suggested, the implication being "well I find them easy so I must be an ace player", nobody's going to accuse me of that, anything off the first few Ramones albums :)[/quote]

For me it's "If I can play it anywhere near right, it must be easy".

For a lot of songs, getting it near enough so no one laughs can be easy, getting it dead right is much harder. I'd put All Right Now and Paranoid in that category. And what is easy for the bass may not be so simple for guitar, drums or vocals.

It helps if its a song everyone in the band knows well, as in has listened to a lot, even if they don't know how to play it. That overcomes a lot of problems caused by not knowing the structure.

Different people find different things easy so I recommend just having a go at anything you like. If you find a song to hard then jsut try something else. All have a chat and decide what songs you would like to play, then go home and all have a go at learning them. Then next practice rule out all the ones that anyone found completely impossible to play, remember which ones everyone struggled iwth but think they could manage with more practice and the ones which everyone foudn they could play. Then practice the ones everyone could play best for a couple of practices while everyone attempts learning the slightly harder ones at home, then after you have nailed the "easy" ones try the slightly harder ones at your practice. You should have a good few songs under your bely in no-time.

This is how me and the people I used to play covers with when I was at school used to do it. But by all means ignore my advice if it dosn't work for you.

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='1173582' date='Mar 23 2011, 05:39 PM']Great song though[/quote]

Yip, but as has been said before - better get it good & tight - don't mock the one note basslines - play it like you mean it.
Dung-a-dung-a dung. Dung-a-dung-a-dung.

I remember playing this in the '80's? :)

" ... 20 foot long like a steel driving hammer... " or something - sing along now!!

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='1175665' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:11 AM']the magic words, trouble is in most bands there are always some people more committed than others :)[/quote]

exactamundo! We need stuff that everyone can get on with, both interms of their ability and practise schedules. Having a song someone is going to have to spend two hours learning is going to be useless as some of the band have kids/work shifts etc. Whilst some of us would be able to devote this time.