Why become a member? ×

Sansamp D.I.

Paul_C

I spent a lot of time (about a year) with various guises of SABDDI (normal, programmable and Para) wondering where my mids went.

They kind-of came back when I rolled the knobs to crazy locations (off, usually), but.. it was never great. There's a thread over on Talkbass where someone has analysed the signal from a SABDDI and published the graphs. It shows a whacking great cut around 800Hz.

Then, I tried an EBS Microbass II which does all the SABDDI stuff and more, and... SHAZAM! My mids came back.

It's a few quid more than the SABDDI, but it suits me far better.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='133429' date='Feb 4 2008, 09:11 AM']I spent a lot of time (about a year) with various guises of SABDDI (normal, programmable and Para) wondering where my mids went.

They kind-of came back when I rolled the knobs to crazy locations (off, usually), but.. it was never great. There's a thread over on Talkbass where someone has analysed the signal from a SABDDI and published the graphs. It shows a whacking great cut around 800Hz.

Then, I tried an EBS Microbass II which does all the SABDDI stuff and more, and... SHAZAM! My mids came back.

It's a few quid more than the SABDDI, but it suits me far better.[/quote]

This thing is not so 'hot' unfortunately a more of a 'not'. I was thinking of getting one, went to the local and tried it out. I dont know how they manage it but say bye bye to your mids. If you want huuuuge bottom end then your sorted

JBC

There are several alternatives to the Tech21 Sansamp DI.

I have a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/paradriver.html"]SansAmp Para Driver[/url] and I am quite happy about it. I analysed the frequency response and it can be set to be completely linear. AFAIK it is more difficult (impossible?) achieve the same thing with the SansAmp DI.

Another alternative is the [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=257"]MXR M-80[/url]. I have never tried it but apparently it is a very interesting pedal. It also has a distorted channel.

I also own a [url="http://www.behringer.com/ADI21/index.cfm?lang=eng"]Behringer ADI21[/url]. It is designed for acoustic guitar but it works very well with bass guitar. If you have tight budget this might be an interesting choice.

I attached a picture of my ParaDriver with the settings for linear response (the blend knob is set to 0).

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='133713' date='Feb 4 2008, 04:56 PM']There are several alternatives to the Tech21 Sansamp DI.

I have a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/paradriver.html"]SansAmp Para Driver[/url] and I am quite happy about it. I analysed the frequency response and it can be set to be completely linear. AFAIK it is more difficult (impossible?) achieve the same thing with the SansAmp DI.

Another alternative is the [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=257"]MXR M-80[/url]. I have never tried it but apparently it is a very interesting pedal. It also has a distorted channel.

I also own a [url="http://www.behringer.com/ADI21/index.cfm?lang=eng"]Behringer ADI21[/url]. It is designed for acoustic guitar but it works very well with bass guitar. If you have tight budget this might be an interesting choice.

I attached a picture of my ParaDriver with the settings for linear response (the blend knob is set to 0).[/quote]

I also tried the Para Driver... I couldn't get anything I liked out of it. it just sounded... unnatural. With the blend rolled off, you lose the speaker simulator (which is very useful for both recording and live DI).

The EBS MBII is great. Plug it in and away you go. It's a Swiss Army Knife for bass!

i dont know why anyone woulkd get the standard sansamp when the mxr m80 is available, such a flexible pedal

iv never ab'd them so cant really comment on sansamps tone in comparrison, but the mxr sounds great

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='133730' date='Feb 4 2008, 05:27 PM']i dont know why anyone woulkd get the standard sansamp when the mxr m80 is available, such a flexible pedal

iv never ab'd them so cant really comment on sansamps tone in comparrison, but the mxr sounds great[/quote]

The sansamps DI is world class & a lot of people who use it use it for the DI as its a 'tube amp simulator' , the m80 as flexable as the eq is IMO the DI isnt as good but thats just what I've found when having a go with both

Although these look interesting

[url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html#"]http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html#[/url]

Edited by mr pablo

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Paul_C' post='133360' date='Feb 4 2008, 12:51 AM']Is the Sansamp still the D.I. unit of choice ?

I've sold my rig and fancy gigging in a minimalist way :)

P.[/quote]

I use Sansamp BDDI myself and find it a great tool for both direct recording and before my amp / cab.

I guess I'm usually looking for that midrange scoop. The Drive / Presence controls give a good range of sounds - although you need to check the noise levels with the presence control especially.
For useable 'edge' to the tone the Drive control is very effective whilst not too good for real 'distortion' sounds.

Anyone have one of the Behringer 'copies' Bass DI - the one which has the same functions on the controls and goes for about £28 - £30 ?

I'm using the M80 and BDDI together in my rig and have to say they are two very different beasts. The 'drive' on each are completely different. I dont like pushing the BDDI too far as I think it can sound mushy. On the flip side, its very easy to make the M80 sound fizzy with too much treble.

I think the key with both of these tools is to go careful with the controls and use your ears. The BDDI *does* scoop the middles out, but you *can* wind the bass and treble controls down to make the scoop less noticeable. The manual does clearly say the controls are very sensitive! I set my amp controls at flat and use very little boost on the M80 and BDDI. I run them both in parallel, *not* series.

Oh.. and my other suggestion.. make good use of the blend controls! My BDDI is set to a mere 25%.

[quote name='dood' post='211115' date='Jun 2 2008, 02:17 PM']I think the key with both of these tools is to go careful with the controls and use your ears. The BDDI *does* scoop the middles out, but you *can* wind the bass and treble controls down to make the scoop less noticeable. The manual does clearly say the controls are very sensitive! I set my amp controls at flat and use very little boost on the M80 and BDDI. Oh.. and my other suggestion.. make good use of the blend controls! My BDDI is set to a mere 25%.[/quote]
Absolutely. I have the Para Driver and can get a lovely mid with the mid control (funnily enough) and use it to drive the valve of my ABM which is set pretty flat. And the Bass Xciter that Mr. Postie should drop off soon should beef things up even more. That means 3 DI outs too. Woo-hoo!

[quote name='rmorris' post='210812' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:40 PM']Anyone have one of the Behringer 'copies' Bass DI - the one which has the same functions on the controls and goes for about £28 - £30 ?[/quote]

i had one till it got fried.

to my ears, if you want a speaker/amp emulator then go for the behringer - i'm not sure i'd trust it on stage (being mainly plastic and all), but for home/studio use it's great...and you're not forking out lots of money for it either.

imho the mxr di + pi55es on the sansamp from a great height...the sansamp made my bass sound good at home on my own, but the mid-cut just sucked the life out my tone live. the mxr's got a better eq and the distortion's better.

ymmv of course

[quote name='ahpook' post='211635' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:03 AM']i had one till it got fried.

to my ears, if you want a speaker/amp emulator then go for the behringer - i'm not sure i'd trust it on stage (being mainly plastic and all), but for home/studio use it's great...and you're not forking out lots of money for it either.

imho the mxr di + pi55es on the sansamp from a great height...the sansamp made my bass sound good at home on my own, but the mid-cut just sucked the life out my tone live. the mxr's got a better eq and the distortion's better.

ymmv of course[/quote]

How did it get fried ?

My Sansamp sounded good in front of my Marshall Jubilee 4x10 ( via TE amp set flattish ).
The 4x10 is pretty midrange biased so I guess thigs sort of evened out. But I mainly dip aound 800Hz - 1KHz anyway.

I guess I should try out the MXR but then again I'm trying to sell more than buy atm !

[quote name='ahpook' post='212162' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:49 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10927&hl=ahpook+sansamp"]thread here[/url][/quote]

Ah - OK . I posted to that thread.

Did the Sansamp that got blown get fixed ?

I always gig with a Sansamp, it is one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased. However I don't like running it instead of an amp.

I run mine instead of a standard DI box so that I send the FOH a slightly dirtier signal. I then run the parallel out into my Aguilar so that I have the sound of my amp onstage, and space permitting, being mic'ed up.

All the times I've used it without an amp it has always lacked something, I didn't play around long enough to work out what was missing. But our FOH guy prefers it over a standard DI.

ed

I had one and also found it sapped my mids and that the dive was too fuzzy, swapped it for a hartke VXL and havnt looked back, the VXL is a great sounding, truly versatile pedal that for me really nails that valvey grind, as well as being a DI and preshape and external eq, great great pedal.

I always gig with my sansamp, in fact i swear by it.

Its especially good when i'm not using my own amp at rehearsal studios i can get my sound almost instantly.

I just prefer the scooped sound it helps me cut through the mix onstage, it helps me hear every note piano like.

Engineers love the sound as it enables them to manipulate a clean sound easier from the desk.

Live i mainly use mine as a boost to fill out the the sound i already have.

Great pedal.

I always gig with my SansAmp too. Our sound guy loves it.

I run the parallel output so my onstage sound is unaffected by it (I have lovely valvey goodness behind me, remember!) so it's entirely controlled by the soundman and what he needs out front. When I had my TE 12-band I used to run the effected output into it so warm the sound a bit more. Either way, I love it and as has been said loads before, careful use of each control reaps rewards :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='213197' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:35 PM']Which is best for me?

Prog or non prog? (SAmp Bass Driver)

I think non-prog as I want one sound or just the amp sound.

Any good retailers in uk?

Thanks[/quote]
I had the prog, but flogged it for a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/paradriver.html"]ParaDriver[/url] to get some control over the mids. And it's smaller. I used US fleabay and [i]might[/i] have avoided import charges. If I had to do it all again though, I'd probably save for the [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/microbass.htm"]EBS MicroBass II[/url]. In fact I might. :)

EDIT: The [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=257&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail"]MXR[/url] is popular too.... try a search!

Edited by johnnylager

Really want to buy a Programmable BDDI now as I own the EBS Microbass 2 which is an excellent piece of kit really transparent and works well with actives for a nice bit of tube emulation and also the MXR 80 which for passive basses is the holy grail it makes it sound full and warm but on active basses it is too much.

I like the idea of having 3 separate channels at my feet, hopefully I will pick one up soon and compare the 3 and see which fits my needs best.

I prefer the MXR over the EBS due to the warm sound it gives with passive basses if that pedal had 3 channels, para mid control, a tube emu with drive, an fx send/return with blend and a built in tuner my needs would be over.