Why become a member? ×

Shuker bolt-on 5 string Custom

niceguyhomer

With a very heavy heart, I'm putting up my Shuker for sale or maybe trade for something that might spark some fading interest in my tired old loins, something to play in my den when there's nothing on telly.

It was made in 2007 for our dear departed friend Si Cox (Old Git) and I bought it about two years ago and have done a few modifications during that time. It is in absolutely immaculate condition.

The smallish body is white ash with a stunning camphor top / matching headstock, it really draws a lot of comments at gigs and I don't mean “nice bass, shame about the bassist” type stuff. It just oozes quality. It has a monorail bridge. It's lightish and feels very solid – the build quality is absolutely top drawer.

The neck is maple with a brass nut, it has a very nice slim profile and is in top condition, frets are too. It has orange side LEDs and is reinforced with steel rods so it's really stable. 34” scale, 3 over 2 config and Gotoh tuners.

Electrics are 18 volts and they're silent – I replaced the original Nordstrand DCs with some custom made Wizard single coils which were fitted by Jon Shuker and they're a huge improvement. I've also replaced the Shuker preamp with a John East U Retro Deluxe which is also a superb piece of kit. It has vol / pan / bass and treble stack (pull for treble boost), mid and mid sweep stack and a passive tone control. There is a preamp bypass also as a back up in case the batteries die.

It has Schaller strap locks fitted and comes in a Shuker Hiscox case which is in excellent condition.

All in all, a really top instrument that cured my raging GAS. The tone is bright, punchy and articulate – it's hard to describe 'tone' but through my rig and with my big mitts I'd say it's somewhere between a Jazz and a 'Ray with unbelievable sustain. It's currently strung with a newish set of DR Sunbeams (45-130).

I know I'm going to take quite a hit on this in the current climate but I don't think I'd part with it for much less that £1,000. Trade offers are welcome but please don't take the piss and I'm only interested in 5 / 6 string basses. I have some money to play with so can trade up.

I won't ship this, you'll have to come and get it or meet me somewhere within 2 hours drive of Preston.

Pics (more on request)

Edited by niceguyhomer

Sorry to hijack, but it's annoying when people quote the entire sale thread to say:

"Sorry can't afford/do you want to trade with something you're not interested in/good luck with the sale, great bass!!!11!!1one"

When Machine's asked us to use as little disc space as possible it takes the pee a little when someone quotes a post with a few large pictures. Kinda defeats the object. This happens quite a lot, maybe someone could put up a notice asking people not to quote entire sale posts? I'm very irritable and I don't like scrolling down a thread to re-read what was at the top!

Um, good luck with the sale. Great bass!

Truckstop

Hi Stu, I don't think my band will survive after our run of gigs ends in May - we're not looking for gigs and the keyboard player's moving to Bulgaria. I don't want to join another band because having played theatres for the last 18 months, the thought of playing in pubs to three people fills me with horror. I think live music's dying on it's arse frankly.

I'm gonna carry on playing in my den but fancy a 6er and learning the dark art that is Jazz. Of course the Shuker will do the job and I won't be brokenhearted if it doesn't sell, but truth is, having played it exclusively for a long time (for me), I fancy a change to keep me motivated.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1169241' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:04 AM']I'm gonna carry on playing in my den but fancy a 6er and learning the dark art that is Jazz.[/quote]

Hi Al, I know what you mean about the Pub thing. Joining a Jazz/Funk/Fusion Band was the best thing I ever did. Massive leap of faith and really taken out of comfort zone, but really enjoyable.
Only problem is the relative lack of venues to play in.
Chin up mate, you never know what is round the corner.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1168348' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:32 PM']Sorry to hijack, but it's annoying when people quote the entire sale thread to say:

"Sorry can't afford/do you want to trade with something you're not interested in/good luck with the sale, great bass!!!11!!1one"

When Machine's asked us to use as little disc space as possible it takes the pee a little when someone quotes a post with a few large pictures. Kinda defeats the object. This happens quite a lot, maybe someone could put up a notice asking people not to quote entire sale posts? I'm very irritable and I don't like scrolling down a thread to re-read what was at the top!

Um, good luck with the sale. Great bass!

Truckstop[/quote]
ha i was just thinking the same...

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1168348' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:32 PM']When Machine's asked us to use as little disc space as possible it takes the pee a little when someone quotes a post with a few large pictures. Kinda defeats the object. This happens quite a lot, maybe someone could put up a notice asking people not to quote entire sale posts? I'm very irritable and I don't like scrolling down a thread to re-read what was at the top!
Truckstop[/quote]
Thanks for the concern Truckstop. However quoting images won't use any more disk space as they're only stored once. There's possibly a few Kilobytes extra by quoting the text/code but it's negligible. The point regarding it being highly irritating still stands though !

Al - I think you should keep this one. Buy something else, put this in it's case and hide it away and come back to it in a few months. You'll realise then how you're glad you kept it.

+1!
Alan's a great bloke, this bass is an absolute peach, in top condition and can provide some amazing tones, from bright and articulate all the way to smooth and loverly.

:)

Eude

Hi - Very nice looking bass, would love to see it and wonder what you might trade for, I would need to trade or sell my Rickenbaker 4003 in fireglow, amde 2003 I think...let me know if that might be of interest and if not, I'd put that up for sale
to fund this

Thanks

Terry

[quote name='Rayman' post='1170460' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:57 AM']Utterly outstanding bass this, in every way. Buy it with total confidence. Alan is the salt of the earth, and this bass has been his pride and joy.[/quote]

[quote name='eude' post='1170567' date='Mar 21 2011, 12:49 PM']+1!
Alan's a great bloke, this bass is an absolute peach, in top condition and can provide some amazing tones, from bright and articulate all the way to smooth and loverly.

:)

Eude[/quote]

I'm gonna cry :)