Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show

Grand Wazoo

It was a great show actually, I got to meet Sheldon Dingwall who is a very genuine and down to earth person, Barry Lamb also from Dingwall Guitars, and it was great to hang out with all of them after the show, including Dave Swift, Barry Lamb, John East (the preamp genius) Mark from Bass Direct (top bloke) and a few other I either can't pronounce their name or can't remember.

I also saw great performance workshops by T.M. Stevens, Marco Mendoza, Gary Willis and a chap called Mark King who wears electrical tape on his right hand thumb, fancy that!??

Any ol' ways here here is a slideshow of some of pics I took yesterday, enjoy! (there are video links of the performance to come soon after I upload them to youtube)

[u][b][size=3][url="http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/Bass%20Show%2012%20March%202011/?albumview=slideshow"]Click here for slideshow[/url][/size][/b][/u]

Edited by Grand Wazoo
Added link code

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1160183' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:13 AM']Thanks for posting. What's the white bass with the three pickups in the background of the first photo?[/quote]
Ibanez JTKB. See here: [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=77&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=2&series_id=473"]Ibanez website[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1160199' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:40 AM']Thanks! It looked vaguely Jet King-ish in shape but I didn't realise that they had 3 pickups.

No 5-string version though :-([/quote]

The special show price on that Ibanez bass was £235, not bad, but I found those 3 pickup selector switches to be awfully flimsy and noisy. It needs a more hi quality switching system.

Ok peeps as promised this is the first of the video clinics I "taped" yesterday, and please accept my apologies for the sound, but the auditorium was full and the only place I could sit down was in the proximity of the fugging drummer who's noise is almost covering the bass sound. So you've gotta turn the sound right up, ok?

This is T.M. Stevens, what a powerful player! Here we go!

Hi all! Here is another mind boggling, insanely intense [b]15 minutes[/b] video! this time I have a full 3 songs showcase by Gary Willis.

I warn you I was holding the camcorder without a tripod just with my hand, then every once in a while I'd get tired and swap hand, which is why the camera is a bit shaky sometimes, but the sound ain't too bad so what the **** :) and oh boy just look at this man's technique, it's out of this world. Truly!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1161239' date='Mar 14 2011, 12:18 AM']Ok peeps as promised this is the first of the video clinics I "taped" yesterday, and please accept my apologies for the sound, but the auditorium was full and the only place I could sit down was in the proximity of the fugging drummer who's noise is almost covering the bass sound. So you've gotta turn the sound right up, ok?

This is T.M. Stevens, what a powerful player! Here we go!

[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder. Great stuff. You must have been sitting just in front of me at the left end of the front row.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1162180' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:11 PM']Anyone else find Tm stevens tone rattly? I saw him on sunday was really impressed but found it quite off putting...[/quote]
Yeah his EQ was scooped within an inch of it's life, definitely didn't make me want to go and try a Warwick rig.

Overall great, highly entertaining and educational show. The clinics and the live shows really top notch.

John East was very helpful and friendly, great, down to earth chap ! Can't say the same about the CEO of Aquilar. At first I thought he was just an unmotivated sales/marketing rep not interested in selling you anything nor knowing mutch about the product (latter I realized I was talking to the CEO after I saw his pic in the brochure)

The confusion about whether it was allowed to make noise or not was annoying. Most vendors very allowing people to crank up any time, other said they were not allowed by the landlord (only at the top of the hour or something like that). Stupid thing was then even 1hr before the end of everything they were still paranoid.

I wonder if Dave from Aguilar maybe had a tough weekend? I had a long talk with him on saturday morning and he was warm, friendly and happy to go through their range in some detail.....

Maybe the weekend slap-a-thon got on his t*its too? :)

[quote name='woodster' post='1164954' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:37 PM']I wonder if Dave from Aguilar maybe had a tough weekend? I had a long talk with him on saturday morning and he was warm, friendly and happy to go through their range in some detail.....

Maybe the weekend slap-a-thon got on his t*its too? :)[/quote]

I agree, the man from Aguilar was a gent to me, he explained all his present and future projects and was calm and polite, but then again by the end of the show I was also cursing the sound of slap bass coming from all corners. Imagine being there 2 days in a row from 10am to 6pm and listen to that racket.

[quote name='shemeckfrac' post='1164823' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:15 PM']The confusion about whether it was allowed to make noise or not was annoying. Most vendors very allowing people to crank up any time, other said they were not allowed by the landlord (only at the top of the hour or something like that). Stupid thing was then even 1hr before the end of everything they were still paranoid.[/quote]

Apparently initially it was supposed to be from the hour to 15 past that people could play but some people kicked up a fuss so it got knocked up to from the hour to half past. It would've been fine if people had stuck to it, but enough people didn't that the ones who were trying to (including us on the GK stand) gave up. One of the main reasons there was such an absurd amount of slap (other than people trying to show off) was that the percussive sounds were pretty much all you could hear most of the time. I was there as a demonstrator, but I spent more time talking to people than playing the amps because I honestly just couldn't be bothered getting into volume wars.

It would've been better IMO if there'd just been a steward with some common sense going around telling people to quieten down where needed all day instead of in intervals. There were some people that felt the need to put their amps on 11 the second they could play even when everyone else was being quiet. The rest of us had to either follow suit or give up and accept that people wouldn't be able to hear products. On the GK stand we even ended up using headphones some of the time which is obviously far from ideal when we're trying to demonstrate amps.

It probably would've helped with a little extra planning with where the amp exhibitors were place too. Apparently when we were loud on the GK stand, we were very loud but we had the TC stand directly opposite us (they were one of the ones that decided the second they should play, they should crank it), there was another amp company (I forget the name) next to Bass Direct that had their rigs facing us (though to be fair, he didn't make a lot of noise and did turn down when we hinted at him with a nod) and we had Mr Roto Clank'n'slap right next to us too. With the three of those going we were struggling to hear ourselves think, never mind play.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1165109' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:50 PM']It would've been better IMO if there'd just been a steward with some common sense going around telling people to quieten down where needed all day instead of in intervals.[/quote]

Interesting point. For several years I was involved with the organisation of a major international broadcast exhibition, IBC, and inorder to keep noise levels down there were strict db limits specified in the exhibitor rules and hese were enforced by a man with a sound level meter. Any exhiibitor, and that meant anyone regardless of the company size or profile, who continually exceeded the limits was warned. Two verbals warnings, then a written warning that if they did it again their power would be switched off. We got to the written warning a few times but then they came into line. It was a similar set-up at the AES (Audio Engineering Society) shows and I belive similar rules apply at Music Messe in Frankfurt.