Why become a member? ×

Here's confidence for you

leschirons

After a couple of nightmare auditions for drummers, we decided one possibility was to look for another bassisit and I'll move to drums. So, an ad was placed and last night I got an e-mail from the singer.

She'd had a reply from a bassisit and she sent him a set list so he could choose 4 songs to audition. One of which was "Kid"

His final comment was " and I think we should think about adding Brass in pocket to the set list for the future"

His audition is next week.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1148055' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:37 AM']His final comment was " and I think we should think about adding Brass in pocket to the set list for the future"[/quote]

Maybe his French was not so good, and he was talking about doing paid gigs in the future?

Good luck with the Audition.

Garry

I think that finding suitable replacement musicians is all about being in the right place at the right time.

My last serious band went through this when the original drummer left. The guitarist (who was a good friend of his) decided that it was time for him to pack it in too since we were unlikely to find another drummer as suitable. In fact we found another drummer who was even better for the band within a month, but it took us almost a year an countless auditions to fill the guitarists position. After this time I'd pretty much learnt all the guitar parts as it was the only way to teaching prospective new members some of the songs that we didn't have proper recordings for (this was an originals band) and we thought that we might as well advertise for a bass player too and I would play which ever role didn't get filled. We found a new bass player within a week of advertising and I switched to guitar for the rest of the lifetime of that band.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1148105' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:20 AM']Do you have to go this route and change. in effect, two positions..?

Is it that hard to find decent drummers..?[/quote]

I don't think so. We're currently working with two different drummers, both are excellent musicians but each comes with a huge sackful of issues regarding availability & motivation. This seems particularly common with drummers, in my experience.

If push comes to shove though I'm perfectly happy to gig with this fella:

Wouldn't be the first time either.

Jon.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1148105' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:20 AM']Do you have to go this route and change. in effect, two positions..?

Is it that hard to find decent drummers..?[/quote]

Good drummers are a bit thin on the ground here. Seem to be loads that feel owning a kit qualifies them as a drummer.

Yes it means two changes but at least I still get to play bass in two other bands. I wouldn't have agreed if it was the only band. It might even improve my bass playing somewhat if I'm in touch a bit more with the drumming side of things.

I would also guess that I may be less critical of others in future if I've had a taste of the "dark side" myself.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1148223' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:56 PM']I think that finding suitable replacement musicians is all about being in the right place at the right time.

My last serious band went through this when the original drummer left. The guitarist (who was a good friend of his) decided that it was time for him to pack it in too since we were unlikely to find another drummer as suitable. In fact we found another drummer who was even better for the band within a month, but it took us almost a year an countless auditions to fill the guitarists position. After this time I'd pretty much learnt all the guitar parts as it was the only way to teaching prospective new members some of the songs that we didn't have proper recordings for (this was an originals band) and we thought that we might as well advertise for a bass player too and I would play which ever role didn't get filled. We found a new bass player within a week of advertising and I switched to guitar for the rest of the lifetime of that band.[/quote]

Interesting reply. Did you find yourself judging the new bass player at any point and think that you may play this or that better / differently?

[quote name='Machines' post='1148240' date='Mar 3 2011, 01:07 PM']Just wait till he wants to get rid of the drummer :).[/quote]

:)

That could be a distinct possibility but I hold all the aces. It's my rehearsal studio and I own the big P.A.

I've found that this is great substitute for talent over the years :lol:

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1148095' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:06 AM']Sounds good - nice to see someone with a positive attitude to an audition, by suggesting songs that they think will work for the band.[/quote]

Not sure that's how he meant it but I'll reserve judgement until we meet him. Could just be me although it's been mentioned by two others in the band as well.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1148245' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:09 PM']Interesting reply. Did you find yourself judging the new bass player at any point and think that you may play this or that better / differently?[/quote]
The way we tackled it was for the songs that had already been recorded and released our new bassist played what I had played on the CD. For the other songs I showed him the bass lines I'd already written, but also told him that if he wanted to come up with something different give it a try and if we liked it we'd use it. I think those songs ended up about half with completely new basslines of his creation and half keeping my originals.

TBH because it wasn't a conventional band and a lot of the sound was down to all the technology we were using, the new bassist had to use my rig with all it's MIDI effects because there was simply no other obvious way of recreating those bass parts, which meant that he mostly sounded just like me.

Also in order for me to duplicate a lot of the guitar sounds I had to go out and buy another Roland GP8, to replace the one I'd sold to our original guitarist!

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1148532' date='Mar 3 2011, 05:15 PM']To be honest, I'd take confidence/bravado over someone who barely registers a ripple of interest any day.[/quote]

Good point, apparently he was in gigging rock bands all through the 80's in Holland on guitar and bass.

When I was looking for a drummer..I rang all my drummer contacts who we were interested in and they couldn't commit to the gig in the timeframe. That was what they told me then.
When I called them the other week asking for a dep..the gig was more attractive but the first two couldn't do the date..but both really stressed the point that they would love to be called again.

Now...I know we have a good gig/chair (IMHO) and tbh, I think some of them would struggle to fill it as I think we ended up with the best guy anyway. Other drummers round here know who is about and who they can recommned so if they fit your bill, then so should their dep.

I would be checking out bands to see who would fit your bill...and then get them along by whatever means you can pursaude them.

I find drummers are most weak when offered hookers and strippers.. if all else fails..

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1148095' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:06 AM']Sounds good - nice to see someone with a positive attitude to an audition, by suggesting songs that they think will work for the band.[/quote]
I'd keep an open mind until you meet him. Lozz may well be right here but the initial thought is that he is going to be a bit of a control freak. Watch this space I guess!?

Could go either way but until you meet him I'd keep your options open. He could turn out to be a real asset with his history. Maybe offer him a trial period if you're worried about his cockiness.