Why become a member? ×

My Website

62P-Bass

Apologies for the blatant self-interest post, but I now have a website up and running and wanted to 'put it about a bit' - hope that's okay. I've put up PDFs of most of my articles from Bass Guitar Magazine - mostly my series on how to read music notation, plus a few gear reviews and other bits that some of you may be interested in.

At some point hopefully soon I'm going to put together a book on reading music for bass. Not just a bundle of old articles, but a whole new resource that I have big plans for. Sign up to the mailing list and I'll update you as soon as this is ready.

It's just an iWeb job but I'm happy enough with it so far - any feedback on the site much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew

P.S. Look out for the infamous/notorious 'Fretless Moods' video!

[url="http://www.andrewmckinney.co.uk"]www.andrewmckinney.co.uk[/url]

I just caught the end of a JT concert this afternoon :) on BBC4, I actually recorded the classic albums show the other night featuring Tom Petty and caught the tail end of JT. IIRC it was Leyland Sklar on bass. :)

Edited by Hobbayne

Ah yes, the old James Taylor vs James Taylor issue!

We do sometimes notice people leaving after a few numbers and think - wrong James Taylor!

Apparently [u]after[/u] one gig some came up to James (the one I play for), said how much they loved the gig and his music, and then pulled out a copy of Sweet Baby James for him to sign. The cover is basically a huge picture of the other James Taylor!

A

Hey Andrew

How dod the P Retro work out for you? read your review a while back in BGM and you mentioned you were taking it on the road. I'm thinking about getting one to add tht little uumph (better than oomph, sexier I'd say) to some tunes mid song.

P-Retro is a great bit of kit if you are after an active P-Bass. I kept it in the bass for about 6 months but I never actually turned it on to 'active' during any gig, so I ended up taking it out. I'm just really used to and comfortable with a passive P-Bass. It could work really well for you if you change your sound during the gig or mid-song. I'm very much a one-sound-fits all player for gigs!

I made some comparison recordings that you can access on the BGM website [url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:p-retro&catid=48:demos&Itemid=102"]here[/url].

Andrew

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='1149022' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:44 PM']P-Retro is a great bit of kit if you are after an active P-Bass. I kept it in the bass for about 6 months but I never actually turned it on to 'active' during any gig, so I ended up taking it out. I'm just really used to and comfortable with a passive P-Bass. It could work really well for you if you change your sound during the gig or mid-song. I'm very much a one-sound-fits all player for gigs!

I made some comparison recordings that you can access on the BGM website [url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:p-retro&catid=48:demos&Itemid=102"]here[/url].

Andrew[/quote]

Thanks for a great website. Very useful and great reading.

I was just reading your review and was going to ask how it went with the P-retro.
Your article had almost sold me on getting one for my CV P but after reading the above comment im now thinking im pretty much the same as you (definitely not in the playing sense though, im miles behind that)
I tend to stick to one tone during gigs, other than to roll off the tone on the bass every now and then, and im not sure even that makes a huge difference.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='1148887' date='Mar 3 2011, 08:42 PM']Ah yes, the old James Taylor vs James Taylor issue!

We do sometimes notice people leaving after a few numbers and think - wrong James Taylor!

Apparently [u]after[/u] one gig some came up to James (the one I play for), said how much they loved the gig and his music, and then pulled out a copy of Sweet Baby James for him to sign. The cover is basically a huge picture of the other James Taylor!

A[/quote]

Blimey! There's another one? :) I wasnt aware there was two of em! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1149386' date='Mar 4 2011, 12:31 PM']I agreed with masses, a very good site and the PDFs of your reading articles will be very useful. Top work mate![/quote]
Yes I will be having a look at this too, We have a bass clef YTS thread Andrew that I will copy and paste this into although it keeps going a bit quiet over there it's ticking along gently :)