Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Less is more?

waynepunkdude

I had a [b]major[/b] culling last year & the collection was more than halved. I bought a cheeky little Hofner this month though and I've been thinking about a couple of other cheap basses so how long it lasts is a mute point. I do think it'll stay at much less but whether people stick to what they initially limit themselves too is another thing

I've never had more than two basses at any one time and for the last 6 months have been down to one bass. It was a conscious decision to cut right back to concentrate on playing and get to know my Shuker without the distraction of a second or third bass.

It worked - but, although my Shuker's the best bass I've ever played, I'm bored with it now so I've just bought a cheap bass to spice things up a bit.

Yeah I went from about 9 basses at one point (mostly random bits and pieces), down to the 4 Jazzes I have now. They all get used a lot, and they're not a distraction from each other because they're basically the same bass.....just with little intricacies :).

Si

I have two basses. A uni bass and my gigging/home bass so no need for downsizing the collection there

Amp & cab wise I just have my Eden stuff and the EA for home use really, so again no downsizing needed

However... When I finally get enough money to get a bit of a collection and then cull it, I'll let you know :)

It's strange, I'm usually a bit of a hoarder. I can't bring myself to get rid of anything even if i haven't so much as looked at it in years! With bass equipment it's different though. I can't bear to live with the thought that stuff isn't getting the use it deserves. If I don't use it, it gets sold. The only exceptions are my first bass, as it's my only 4-string, and it has lots of memories (plus it's too knackered to sell!). It's currently being lent to my best mate. Also my first 6-string, as it's always good to have at least one bass in standard tuning :)

Edited for spelling. You'd think 2 and a half years of working on a PC 48 hours a week would make someone a good typist wouldn't you? :)

Edited by chrismuzz

Yes, I'm on the same trip... very hard to let each one go but once gone you realise you won't really miss that one. And you worry one bass less about setups and strings etc, which is good.

I've recently switched to 5vers and now I just can't see my four stringers the same as I used to which makes things a little easier.

I want to get down to two basses - I know I will always gas for a P-type (so I have a Lakland Glaub 5) and the other will be pokier with plenty of warm articulate mids, maybe a Dingwall as they really intrigue me at the moment.

But er... yes, I'm selling as well, honest. Think I have about eight still.

Recently;

3 out-
Iceni Zoot chaser custom prototype
Ibanez SRX700
Musicman Stingray V fretless

1 in;
Warwick Fortress Masterman V (fretted) courtesy of BigJim
and a half-decent surround system from remaining monies accrued from sale of 3 basses.

May sell off my Ovation, too. I [i]am[/i] downsizing a bit, but am "re-focussing" my collection into instruments I will play more.
I've been after a Fortress Masterman for ages, as I like the body shape and JJ/twin EQ electrics.
The Stingray, Ibanez and Zoot had just been sitting in cases and bags, taking up valuable "bass space"

I still have every bass I've aquired in the last 32 years,even down to the unplayable Kay Gibson-esque Woolworth special.I am seriously thinking of winnowing out the ones that just don't get used,but the sentimental value always stops me.Plus left handed basses are inherantly harder to shift.Well,that's what I tell the Wife..

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1139181' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:11 PM']I still have every bass I've aquired in the last 32 years,even down to the unplayable Kay Gibson-esque Woolworth special.I am seriously thinking of winnowing out the ones that just don't get used,but the sentimental value always stops me.Plus left handed basses are inherantly harder to shift.Well,that's what I tell the Wife..[/quote]

HAHA

I'm keeping my first bass, it's worth f*** all anyway.

I am down to 4 (have been up to 6) and want to get it down to three - a Precision, a Jazz and a fretless Precision. Have got a nice '71 Precision (actually has a J p/up as well), a Seafoam green Bacchus Jazz (which I banned from selling by the Mrs as she likes the colour!) and a Tony Franklin fretless. Not sure where that leaves my uber-pricey, beautifully made Alleva Coppolo LG4 Jazz, especially given financial circumstances (watch this space)