Why become a member? ×

Thin Lizzy documentary on BBC4 now

Beedster

[quote name='fatback' post='1136853' date='Feb 22 2011, 11:03 AM']Missed the very beginning - did the band Skid Row get a mention?

Huge influence, and Brush Shields (outstanding bass player) pushed PL into playing in the first place. Doesn't get much credit usually.[/quote]

I don't recall Skid Row being mentioned.

To be honest there was a fair bit missing. No interview with Gary Moore which was a shame given his recent passing. This said, I hadn't realised Midge Ure played guitar briefly when Gary left mid tour (or maybe I did know but it was so long ago my poor old memory had discarded that piece of trivia).

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1136839' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:49 AM']Was interesting to hear Brian Robertson, who by his own admission was out of it for a lot of the time, state categorically that he didn't overdub any parts :) Mind you I'm not sure I care. It's still one of the great albums.[/quote]

He wouldn't be the first 'out of it' muso to either not remember recording a part, or to have his parts re-recorded by someone else without his knowledge :)

Caught most of it by chance, channel hopping.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1136549' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:40 PM']Uh oh, the truth about Alive and Dangerous.......[/quote][quote name='Beedster' post='1136551' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:41 PM']As far as I remember, it's all live.........[/quote]
Well there were at least three versions last night :) but no mention of the Bowie audience being added to bolster response (which I seem to recall as another "myth" about that album)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1136896' date='Feb 22 2011, 11:30 AM']He wouldn't be the first 'out of it' muso to either not remember recording a part, or to have his parts re-recorded by someone else without his knowledge :)[/quote]
May have mentioned this on the Gary Moore thread, but a guitarist acquaintance of mine tells the tale of going back to a local studio that Lizzy had been recording at and hearing a blistering GM solo, to then be told that he was so out of it when he recorded it that he was being propped up by a roadie.

Whatever, a great band I was many times in Brighton & Portsmouth

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1136839' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:49 AM']Watched the doc. last night and listening to live & dangerous now :)

Was interesting to hear Brian Robertson, who by his own admission was out of it for a lot of the time, state categorically that he didn't overdub any parts :) Mind you I'm not sure I care. It's still one of the great albums.[/quote]
Watched it yesterday too. I laughed at that part - I thought Visconti made a more credible witness than Robbo!

Thanks for putting that link on, just had to sit and watch that right away.
I was lucky enough to see them live twice, He was so charismatic as a front man, they were a real Lads band I don’t remember seeing a single girl in the audience at the time. The Rocker epitomised the band for me, but his ballads were a beautiful contrast. Great Cheers