Why become a member? ×

Yellowjackets First Album

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1133759' date='Feb 19 2011, 08:01 PM']Has anyone got or heard the Yellowjackets first album featuring Jimmy Haslip?

Released in the 80s, it's essential listening for anyone into jazz/funk/fusion. Every track is amazing. Jimmy Haslip's playing is sublime.

Well worth checking out. :)[/quote]
Jimmy's tone then was much better than it is now, I think he was using a Yamaha BB then. His fretless tone for me was best when he was using his Tobias 5 strings around "Politics" and "Four Corners" time. Not a fan of his 6 string Roscoe, but then again, he speaks very highly of me!

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1134148' date='Feb 20 2011, 10:49 AM']Have a listen to Jimmy on Gino Vannelli album "Brother to Brother" from late 70's / early 80's. Some great solo work from Jimmy.
Overall a great album with many talented musicians.

Dave[/quote]

Don't recall Haslip on that album by the credits, although I can recall a few parts that might sound like him.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134154' date='Feb 20 2011, 10:58 AM']Don't recall Haslip on that album by the credits, although I can recall a few parts that might sound like him.[/quote]

Hi JTUK
I bought the original album in 78 on AM records and have since bought the CD

Album credits as follows :-

Joe Vannelli - keys
Mark Craney - drums
Carlos Rios - guitar
Leon Gaer - synth bass
Jimmy Haslip - bass on "People I belong to", Feel Like Flying" and solo on "Brother to Brother"

Jimmy also went on to produce Gino's current bassist Sandin Wilson's album "Into My World".
Both Sandin and Jimmy are good friends and have sent me some recordings taken direct from sound desk with both bassists at various gigs.

Sorry mate - I was a huge fan of Gino back in the day and bought the album because of the bass playing.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1134389' date='Feb 20 2011, 03:16 PM']Hi JTUK
I bought the original album in 78 on AM records and have since bought the CD

Album credits as follows :-

Joe Vannelli - keys
Mark Craney - drums
Carlos Rios - guitar
Leon Gaer - synth bass
Jimmy Haslip - bass on "People I belong to", Feel Like Flying" and solo on "Brother to Brother"

Jimmy also went on to produce Gino's current bassist Sandin Wilson's album "Into My World".
Both Sandin and Jimmy are good friends and have sent me some recordings taken direct from sound desk with both bassists at various gigs.

Sorry mate - I was a huge fan of Gino back in the day and bought the album because of the bass playing.

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

:) Looked it up on Wiki and agree that he appeared on it. I have the album on vinyl so would have had to dig it out from the depths
and I can hear the solo now. Just couldn't recall him on it and I tend to have to good recall of who was who
on the albums I had back then.
Am most bemused that I couldn't remember that as I have the Yellowjackets album and would/should have put two and two together.
Many a time I played along to that album :) :lol:

I liked the synth parts a lot too..maybe that is what threw me.

what can I say..still surpised/bemused..:D :P

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134400' date='Feb 20 2011, 03:35 PM']:lol: Looked it up on Wiki and agree that he appeared on it. I have the album on vinyl so would have had to dig it out from the depths
and I can hear the solo now. Just couldn't recall him on it and I tend to have to good recall of who was who
on the albums I had back then.
Am most bemused that I couldn't remember that as I have the Yellowjackets album and would/should have put two and two together.
Many a time I played along to that album :D :P

I liked the synth parts a lot too..maybe that is what threw me.

what can I say..still surpised/bemused..:lol: :lol:[/quote]

I know the feeling - its an age thing. :D

Bass synth was quite popular at that time. Not sure if he's using a Roland bass guitar synth or its a Moog bass synth.
Don Airey did the keyboard bass synth on some albums back then and tried to emulate a bassist. Was reasonably successful although he did have to get half his brain removed. :D :) :D

Jimmy's not an easy bassist to copy either because of his technique.

PS : I had to go and make sure on the album before replying. :)
Cheers
Dave

ha ha ..you have got me thinking now.

Maybe I got the Vanelli album late 70's?? and Yellowjackets a few years later..?
At the time I bought the latter I would have been well into who was playing what.

Still can't believe I missed it. On some albums I have, I could have told you the entire band and the session guys who have contributed...
I would think I could make a decent crack at some of them now..all these years later.

yep..put it down to an age thing

:) :)

Haslip is hard to copy because he plays his bass left handed but upside down (high G on the top, low B on the bottom) :)

That first Yellowjackets album was great. They had a few good ones, then some that were a bit 'lightweight' and then they picked up again. Not heard anything new from them in a while (not listening to fusion at the mo..).

There is a track on his ARC solo cd called Ninos that is beautiful (no bass solo, just a beautiful piece of music with the bass playing the melody in unison with a soprano sax). I have tried to transcribe it but I can't get the chords at all. If anyone has them, I would love to see a copy?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1135169' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:11 AM']Haslip is hard to copy because he plays his bass left handed but upside down (high G on the top, low B on the bottom) :)

That first Yellowjackets album was great. They had a few good ones, then some that were a bit 'lightweight' and then they picked up again. Not heard anything new from them in a while (not listening to fusion at the mo..).

There is a track on his ARC solo cd called Ninos that is beautiful (no bass solo, just a beautiful piece of music with the bass playing the melody in unison with a soprano sax). I have tried to transcribe it but I can't get the chords at all. If anyone has them, I would love to see a copy?[/quote]

You're obviously a fan of Jimmy's.
That upside down left handed thing threw me for yrs before I found out who Jimmy Haslip actually was and that he was left handed upside down bass.
Still i learned a lot from it and it made me a better player trying.

Good luck with the transcript - sorry I can't help you with that one.
Have you tried emailing Jimmy himself - sometimes works you know. :)

Dave

Jimmy is a great bassist with a VERY varied recording career....

I've also got stuff by him with a band called Blackjack in the late 70's (with a young Michael Bolton on vocals and Bruce Kulick of KISS on gtr)

and he even played bass on a track or two on KISS' "Creatures Of The Night" album in 1982... :) :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='leschirons' post='1133944' date='Feb 20 2011, 12:48 AM']Great stuff (got it for Robben Ford though rather than the bassplaying if I'm honest)[/quote]
Yep me too.

Another Ford album that features some great bass playing is the 1st Blue Line album. What a trio, what a sound. Roscoe Beck is one of my all time faves and a nice bloke into the bargain.

Edit. I'm going to go and put on the 'Jackets CD a soon as I get of the PC I think :)

Edited by ezbass