Why become a member? ×

Genz-Benz owned by Fender!

stingrayPete1977

I was just scanning the monthly email from BassDirect and noticed the part that says Genz-Benz were bought by Fender in 2008, I didn't know that.

Other points of interest and still require a visit once the funds recover from my Ray5 are the Xotic basses, ex demo Mayones, and I have heard that the new Genz Uber cabs are another league above what's currently out there in light weight stuff? Anyone tried or even seen any?

Yep, Genz are distributed by Fender in Europe too - My Shuttle arrived in a box with Fender stamped on the side

Don't really know much about the Uber cabs though there are a few vids of Ed Friedland demoing them on YouTube.

Seems to me them come with a hefty price tab compared with other cabs

I need a 1x12 cab at some point and a GB one would be nice from a gear snob point of view :) and if they sound really good too then I could be tempted. I like the Bergantinos or just a normal GB 1x12. With a sensible head on I should of bought a G&L L2500K and a GB 1x12 instead of just the Ray5 but what can I say, I'm not called StingrayPete for nothing :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1131676' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:02 PM']Genz Benz were owned by Kaman for a few years and Fender bought Kaman as of January 1st 2008 (i think). So,Fender basically bought Genz,Ovation,Hamer,LP and Toca percussion,Gibralter hardware and more.[/quote]
You beat me to it there Paul and that sounds about right then. Still a great amp even with the Fender connection who's bass amps I've never been a big fan of, I guess Fender have little to nothing to do with the design?

They were bought by Fender - I was just mentioning that my shuttle had been shipped from the Fender depot in Rotterdam

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1131677' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:02 PM']Well it says they were bought by Fender rather than just a distribution sharing deal?[/quote]

[quote name='Platypus' post='1131685' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:11 PM']They were bought by Fender - I was just mentioning that my shuttle had been shipped from the Fender depot in Rotterdam[/quote]
I was referring to MM20's comment about them using fenders product support which obviously they will if they own them.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1131688' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:15 PM']Let's hope the Fender magic works a little better this time. They didn't do very well for SWR or Tacoma when they bought them!![/quote]

Well from a selfish point of view I would of bought three shuttle 6.0's just in case and that would keep me happy for the next 40 years after that they could pack it all in for me :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1131716' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:54 PM']Oh heck. Glad it's not affecting them so far. Let's hope they don't do an SWR.[/quote]

Well,they've owned them for about 3 years now and things are going well,it seems.
I think the difference is that Jeff Genzler is still there,where as Steve Rabe left SWR after the buy out.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1131709' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:45 PM']Nope,Fender bought Kaman Music who owned Genz Benz amongst others.[/quote]

According to Wikipedia on 02/01/08 FMIC paid the Kaman Corporation approximately $120 million in cash to buy the Kaman Music Corporation which included:

Ovation
Takamine
Hamer
Genz Benz
Toca
Gretsch Drums
Sabian
Lee Oscar
Hercules

and many other brands.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1131719' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:58 PM']Well,they've owned them for about 3 years now and things are going well,it seems.
I think the difference is that Jeff Genzler is still there,where as Steve Rabe left SWR after the buy out.[/quote]

And lets not even mention Eden OMG -- (rather Fender buy a company than US music hawks!!!)

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1131721' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:59 PM']According to Wikipedia on 02/01/08 FMIC paid the Kaman Corporation approximately $120 million in cash to buy the Kaman Music Corporation which included:

Ovation
Takamine
Hamer
Genz Benz
Toca
Gretsch Drums
Sabian
Lee Oscar
Hercules

and many other brands.[/quote]

Although some of the brands,like Sabian and Vic Firth,are purely about distribution and aren't owned by FMIC.Genz Benz isn't one of these.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1131628' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:18 PM']I was just scanning the monthly email from BassDirect and noticed the part that says Genz-Benz were bought by Fender in 2008, I didn't know that.[/quote]

Damn it ! I've always been so proud of never having owned a Fender and now I do by default :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1131704' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:34 PM']Maybe it's just for European Distribution?[/quote]
I had a problem with my shuttle that seems to have cleared up now.

But the guys in the shop said that if it re-occurs, rather than take it back to them (100 mile round trip),
because they are distributed by Fender UK, I could send it direct to them in East Grinstead, West Sussex.