Why become a member? ×

recording workshop

Rimskidog

I'm being asked by members on another forum I post on to put on a short series of really practical workshops on recording and mixing to include mic selection and placement; recording different instruments and voices; choosing and using pres/eqs/compressors etc. Anyone here might be interested?

Cool. There are loads of online ones so I've been encouraged to do a series of hands on workshops at my studios. Small group format. Hands on with great gear. Maybe a hundred quid a day? I'm thinking if I keep the groups small enough we can be flexible enough to cover what people want rather than just standing up and doing a blah blah blah. Maybe get a band in and record and mix a record over a few sessions? I dunno. What would people who have expressed an interest like to cover?

Urb if you are up for 'pinning' them I'm happy to do some online ones too for the benefit of the forum.

Definitely interested in the online ones, and maybe also the practical sessions (I'm just barely getting started in home recording - laptop, M-Audio Fast Track Pro and Reaper is the limit so far!)

Would this be bass-orientated or a more general recording-a-whole-band scenario?

Ta,
Ian

I think because there are so many DAWs out there ti would be difficult to tie it down to using specific software, but I think some tips on how to get the best sound from an amp, best way to mic up amps, drums etc. tips on recording vocals etc. Also, not sure I can speak for most and I'm wawre of the fact you have a studio, but for many home recording bods some tips you may have for them ?? Just some pointers.

Possibly some tips on mixing and mastering too ??

By the way, what software do you use to record ?

Edited by WHUFC BASS

If we can get half a dozen people together I was thinking it might be quite cool to do 2 days to kick it off and I'd get a band in to record from scratch so we can cover drums, bass, guitars and vocals and play with mic and preamp choices and placement as a starter for 10?. Sound interesting?

I use protools HD with lots of hardware (so you'd get hands on with the real version of la2a's, 1176s, etc etc), you'd get to hear and compare preamps ranging from API to Neve and mics from the basic shure sm57 right up to Telefunken U47, Neumann U87 and Elam 251

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='1131790' date='Feb 18 2011, 07:02 AM']Could all those genuinely interested pm me their contact details. I intend to contat everyone to find out whether there are things they would definately like to cover to work them into the programme

Cheers
T[/quote]
PM'd!