Why become a member? ×

Advice needed for Live sound

neptunehealer

Hi guys, i am not happy with my live sound. I invested quite heavily on my equipment laast year but still haven't really mastered a good enough live sound.
The main problem i have is the D and G string are just not prominent in the mix and really do sound thin.
I play with a Geddy Lee bass and have a mark bass head, i do have an old Laney 4x10 speaker which may be the reason behind this.
I have just re-strung the instrument so it can't be dead strings.

Just any tips on EQ or anything on how to get a better well rounded sound will be much appreciated.

Without knowing all eq`s used etc, Id` say drop the treble by 1 on yr amp, and raise the mids by 1 or 2. Possibly raise the height of the pickup on the D/G side by half an anticlockwise turn on the screws.

Or try some compression, but that involves cost, whereas the above doesn`t, but should even out some differences.

I`ve always found that to have a good live sound in the mix, it has to be rather "clanky" and sound way too harsh on the mids. It may not sound great on its own, compared to the scooped low-mid sound, but you end up with much better presence in the mix.

Agree with Lozz196.
Did a gig on saturday, prepared some sounds ahead of time, and ended up playing all the time with the clangy and aggressive setting. The presence in the mix was excellent, and the tone was much complimented for how mellow and natural it sounded. Go figure :)

Will also depend greatly on your band's lineup, desired sound, and wisdom of other instrumentalists. The settings you can use when it's just you and one guitar are greatly different to if you have two guitars and/or a keyboard, for example.
And if your rhythm guitard insists on a heavy, bassy sound and plays in the low register, stepping all over your sonic space and making the band sound muddy as a result... either fire that fool or get him on acoustic :)

+1 to everyone here.

Have your guitarist turn the bass down in his guitar, this will help massively. And also tweak your eq slightly to be away from the guitarist so you both stand out from each other.

I got told from a bass player from a successful pop/rock band 'I'v never heard my bass'. Kinda true really, you will hear it differently to everyone else, especially standing right next to it! Have someone (ideally another bassist) listen in the crowd and point a few things out.

Dan

I find I can pretty much choose what sound I want for our live sound so agree it is how the other guys set up that allows you this.
We use gtr and keys and are pretty powerful.
Gtrs are notorious for only thinking about their sound requirements so they do need to roll off the bass and I am not sure I like the clanky bass sound that cuts through as a sound on its own..and there will be times when the bass plays on its own, as a solution compromise here.
If that is the sound you like, then ok, but I'd set the bass sound up to something you can work with and then see how that
plays in a bass and drums mix and then what prorblems you get with gtr in there.
It is all about layers not a wall of sound though and if the gtr doesn't or wont get this, then that will forever be your problem.

I don't like the sound of the weak D and G though... is it balanced as a sound on the bass..or just when the gtr gets involved?

[quote]The main problem i have is the D and G string are just not prominent in the mix and really do sound thin.[/quote]
If the D & G sound thin in comparison with the E & A strings, then, providing you're not trying something extreme EQ-wise, I would first check the set up of the bass. Is the action uniform across all strings? Are the pickups and strings aligned?

There's a lot of wisdom on this site and I agree with all so far. I don't like the clangy sound but have to agree that it's a very useable tone in a live set up. If you're not going thru a PA then you'll defo need to get the guitard to roll back the bass on his sound to give you room for your bass. I usually start with eq flat then walk out to where the audience will be and listen. 9 times in 10 I lower the bass a bit and boost low mid sometimes even high mid a bit. That usually gets me close and from there its just fine tuning. I never set eq based on what I hear on stage as this is generally nothing like the audience hears. Some bass players scoop the mids but I only really find I can do that when going through PA where a sound engineer can adjust guitars etc around it.

As for the volume across the strings in my experience two identical guitars can be very different and a good set up may help. I would defo raise the pickup under the D & G a little and as mentioned before concentrate more on boosting high mids than treble.

Don't stress you'll find it - it just takes a bit of patience working out what works best for your kit.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1126906' date='Feb 14 2011, 12:16 PM']I`ve always found that to have a good live sound in the mix, it has to be rather "clanky" and sound way too harsh on the mids. It may not sound great on its own, compared to the scooped low-mid sound, but you end up with much better presence in the mix.[/quote]

+1 for Lozz.

That clanky sound is one I've tried to master. It works well in the mix, but as JTUK notes, it needs balancing against those moments when your guitarist finally shuts up and lets you have some limelight. I'm still balancing that one!

I don't know much about Laney but I would have thought that any problems there should affect all your strings equally.

On your amp put the low, mid low, mid high and high controls to 12 o'clock. Turn the VPF and VLE controls fully off, anti clockwise. Your amp is now flat. If the D and G still sound thinner than the A and E I would think this is probably caused by your bass. Are you using any effects?

Are strings the right height from the fretboard? Are the pickups the right height from the strings? Do you have dip switches on the pots can that alter the sound?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1127065' date='Feb 14 2011, 02:13 PM']I don't know much about Laney but I would have thought that any problems there should affect all your strings equally.

On your amp put the low, mid low, mid high and high controls to 12 o'clock. Turn the VPF and VLE controls fully off, anti clockwise. Your amp is now flat. If the D and G still sound thinner than the A and E I would think this is probably caused by your bass. Are you using any effects?

Are strings the right height from the fretboard? Are the pickups the right height from the strings? Do you have dip switches on the pots can that alter the sound?[/quote]

Ok i will try it flat next time. Sometimes i have all the nobs about quarter past 12 if that makes sense.
Don't think it's the right away to go about things.

I have no effects at all, just a Geddy Lee with the original pups, i bought it second hand off here.

Good tips in this thread.

First thing i would try on your string problem would be raising the height of the PuPs and/or taking a look at the action.

For you live sound assuming you are not using a PA +1 on lowering the bass and upping the low mids either on your amp or your bass. The bass will sound punchier from the audience perspective. I always start with the EQ flat and normally just twiddle the bass setting on the amp to suit the room.

Sometimes though spending ages on getting your sound right is a waste of time cos when you have a load of punters in a room they affect the sound and the EQ needs tweaking again!

+1 to checking where the filters are set to. The VPF in particular scoops out mids so you might want to set this in the 8 o'clock position (turn it anticlockwise as far as you can without snapping the thing!).

And like everyone else says, if your band is playing in your space then you'll find it hard to cut thru.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1128162' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:39 AM']I wouldn't say its the cab

I borrowed a Geddy Lee for a week and did a gig with it and had the same issue, dropping the treble and cranking (for me!) the Mids helped alot,

The GL jazz bass sounds a bit thin too me, if i owned one i'd change the Pups, Fab neck though![/quote]

Yes i am starting to think the Geddy may have been a mistake sound wise.
I do want something to sit in the mix more, maybe a P-Bass would have been better.

If i do change the pups in the Geddy, which ones would you suggest?

From what I`ve read on here, contacting Andy at Wizard Pickups is likely to be your best option. Apparently he will discuss what you want, and what he can provide from his range. That is darn good customer service. I`ve never used them, as I like stock Fender pickups in my Precisions, but so many people here on Basschat have done this, and written favourably about it.