Why become a member? ×

Back To Basics

artisan

happy bunny here just got back in from work to find my lovely shiney new bass waiting for me,which the wife had collected for me this afternoon.
i was in my local music store on saturday just browsing & picked up U.S. P bass to have a widdle on.
said bass has been in the shop for some time now but it seems nobody has bothered playing it,after a quick tweak here & there it plays like a dream,nice & simple with nowt to muck about with.i loved it & really enjoyed playing on it.
of course as it had been hanging about for a while a damn good haggle ensued & i ended up with a brand new P bass for less than £900.00,bargain or what.
anyhow here's photo i'm off to play with my toy,& i may even play with my bass once thats over.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='silddx' post='1119216' date='Feb 7 2011, 07:28 PM']I just went B2B too with a superb Jazz Bass. Quite nice to be dealing with passive electronics and no fancy stuff. Lovely bass.

Have fun with your P mate![/quote]

cheers Silddx you too with the jazzer,you know i only got my P today & i'm gassing for a J now :)
the passive thing is nice as sometimes i just can't be arsed with a preamp & such,anyhow i'm taking it to the first jam/rehersal for my new band tonight so i'll certainly have fun (i hope)

You can't get much more to basics than with a P - cooler than cool and of course an American Standard is ice cold.

Edit: Dammit, I can't shake off this JAS (Jazz acquisition syndrome) and your casual acquisition of a very nice Precision isn't helping! My daydreams are filled with ashtrays, big block bound necks and pyramid golds nowadays. Oh and tort scratchplates against faded coral. That said, your tobacco burst is kinda nice against the tort too :)

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1119925' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:35 AM']I can see what you mean...lovely looking bass though.

Can you get the shop to check it? E seems close to the edge of the board cf to the G.[/quote]
I've seen a good few Fenders like this. They should be able to get sh*t like this right by now and align the bridge properly. I really like the old style ribbed saddles, you can so easily put issues like that right.

EDIT: Hang on, I had a closer look at the saddles and the strings are not correctly positioned over them. The strings aren't in line with the pup poles either. Easy to sort that out I think - reposition the strings on the saddles.

Edited by silddx

I've had active basses and back to basics is the way forward IMHO. Having become very attached to my souped up SX Precision, recently purchased from WHUFC on here, over the last few months I'm starting to think that 2 pickups and 3 knobs on my beloved US Jazz bass is a bit more complicated than required.
Given the cash I'd get a US standard P like yours any day. Nice !

thanks for all the kind comments chaps i'm a very happy badger :)

the photo posted is just out of the case,it's had a wee tweak & the strings positioned correctly now & it is fooking ace,i forgot how good a good P can be.
took it to the 1st jam with a potential new band last night & the funk just flew from this bass,so much so we recorded it.
i would upload it for you all to laugh at but i've no idea how to upload audio tracks (yes i am a luddite) so if you fancy a giggle at my expense let me know how to do it please.

cheers chaps

:edit- i think i like this bass that much i may even sell my Zon & get a back up,you know like you do :)

Edited by artisan

Thats a fine bass Sir. A steal at the price.

Gassing for a P myself at the mo. Lake Placid Blue with a Maple board, MOP plate and DiMarzios................................I can almost smell it.

I wonder if I leave enough hints lying around the place will the queen get the hint? The 30th bday is coming up after all :)