Why become a member? ×

No such thing as 'a keeper' - agree?

Clarky

BC is full of posts stating this bass, that bass blah blah is a keeper. More often than not the very same bass is for sale months or even weeks later. Unless something has a particular emotional attachment or resonance (year of birth, present from wifey at key date etc) surely the concept of a keeper is plain rubbish. After all it's bits of wood and wire and there are a lot of pretty bits of wood and wire out there. I am as guilty as any, having stated first that my 71 Precision would never be sold, then my Fender Pino ( now back in Legion's hands as I wanted his Tony Franklin fretless just that little bit more than the Pino, even though it was the nicest Precision I had ever played).

Agree, disagree?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1117003' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:36 PM']BC is full of posts stating this bass, that bass blah blah is a keeper. More often than not the very same bass is for sale months or even weeks later. Unless something has a particular emotional attachment or resonance (year of birth, present from wifey at key date etc) surely the concept of a keeper is plain rubbish. After all it's bits of wood and wire and there are a lot of pretty bits of wood and wire out there. I am as guilty as any, having stated first that my 71 Precision would never be sold, then my Fender Pino ( now back in Legion's hands as I wanted his Tony Franklin fretless just that little bit more than the Pino, even though it was the nicest Precision I had ever played).

Agree, disagree?[/quote]
I couldn't agree more mate. I used to say it too. It might be true for some people but I think people like you and me like changing basses a lot, the search for the elusive ONE that doesn't exist, and having new pretties to drool on is so much FUN! Sold my $$ the other day which was "definitely a keeper" and got a gorgeous Jap Jazz this afternoon. Worlds apart in terms of tone and feel, and bass principles, but I love it. I couldn't say it's a keeper anymore, but my god it's so much fun to play! I think it's great to change your opinion based on new information and inspirations.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1117019' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:44 PM']Pino has gone?!!![/quote]

! :)

But yeah, I agree. I've had my Jazz for ages now and its been awesome but there's a part of me that wouldnt think twice if someone wanted to trade a Ray34 for it... I think I'm guilty of having called it a "keeper" at some point as well.

My Yamaha BB415 is a keeper as near as dammit. This was the bass I bought to replace Sid actually, Clarky. Why is it a keeper? It's a cheap bass that's been modified leaving scars and it's taken a couple of knocks leaving more scars. For what it would fetch cash it's hardly worth the bother selling it. I keep it strung with TI Flats and it's just fantastic. So a keeper by default rather than because it's so special I couldn't part with it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1117019' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:44 PM']Pino has gone?!!![/quote]
Yep, replaced by TF fretless and a '71 Fender P/J (incoming). Two basses that will cover a lot of ground, replacing one Precision (albeit a beautiful one).

[quote name='Johnston' post='1117014' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:42 PM']Totally depends on the personality of the person I think.

Some of us are hoarders (If you met us lot you'd think it was genetic :) :) ) we don't like to part with anything unless there are specific reasons skint, will never be a need in the future..[/quote]
That's me I'm afraid..though there are several of my basses I wouldn't worry about being separated from I would really not want to be without others..the list below speaks for itself..

I think it really depends on how you define the word. If you think about it, nothing is really "permanent". Everything in the universe, including the universe itself, is simply in a transient state that had a start and will have an end and then the endless cycle of ultimate destruction and regeneration will repeat itself. That's just my opinion, anyway...

Completely agree. I couldn't bear the thought of selling basses that I'd played for years and loved, some that I'd even selected the wood for, a fretted and fretless pair made from the same neck blanks, etc. Each one of those basses I sold I have not missed for a second. Every time sentimentality stops me from moving something on, I remind myself 'What about that bass, and that cab, and that.....'

And yes, I think we're genetically horders. Maybe we should all put 'Bass Player' on our medical cards so some plucky young research student can combine autopsy data at a later date?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1117049' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:59 PM']I think it really depends on how you define the word. If you think about it, nothing is really "permanent". Everything in the universe, including the universe itself, is simply in a transient state that had a start and will have an end and then the endless cycle of ultimate destruction and regeneration will repeat itself. That's just my opinion, anyway...[/quote]
But I have a Porsche

That was a joke based on a Clive cartoon in The Times from the 1990s. Clive and similarly be-suited City slicker are looking up at the stars and his mate says, "looking at the universe, don't you feel so small, so insignificant?". Clive replies "not really, I'm not 30 yet and I have got a Porsche"

I don 't actually have a Porsche and if I did it probably wouldn't be a keeper :)

Edited by Clarky

There isn't a keeper, I agree. I go through phases. Part of my requirements is high quality control, so it's hard to find basses that match it.

So far, the EBs have really impressed me.

You know what I still want? An amazing 4 string jazz. Just passive, light ish, great QC. Will I find it? Hopefully! Will I keep it? For as long as I can!

This year I'm buying no more basses once these get here...because the price hikes and VAT have really put me off.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1117056' date='Feb 5 2011, 09:04 PM']That was a joke based on a Clive cartoon in The Times from the 1990s. Clive and similarly be-suited City slicker are looking up at the stars and his mate says, "looking at the universe, don't you feel so small, so insignificant?". Clive replies "not really, I have a Porsche"

I don 't actually have a Porsche and if I did it probably wouldn't be a keeper :)[/quote]

lol. I thought you were referring to this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121502&st=140&start=140"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&start=140[/url]

weird eh?

Well I'm too much of a hoarder ,I'm afraid. Thought about selling stuff, but the way the market is,I'll try to hang onto them.
If I had a' keeper' , it would be the Washburn Status. 1st'proper' bass.Altho' ,it's in great condition since'89
the electrics kept playing up . Also. I bashed the vol/tone knobs too much and they don't click eloquently when turned.
The pickups are still the original ones ,but are now passive. My ex band members said it sounds much better now.

So, yeah I guess there is a 'keeper' :)

Interesting subject...

Perhaps the public proclamation of 'keeper' is a weeny early warning... a tell-tale sign of a tiny flicker of internal doubt.

I've been guilty of it in the past with guitars, of which I've been through far too many. Sigh...

Perhaps real 'stayers' don't always look that way to begin with... they just end up doing alright, over and over again.

I've had the same bass for 20 years and have never owned another. I bought it one afternoon for an emergency dep gig that same evening... and the gig paid for it. But I never thought of it as a 'keeper'. It's just... the bass.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1117059' date='Feb 5 2011, 09:07 PM']This year I'm buying no more basses once these get here...because [s]the price hikes and VAT have really put me off.[/s] the Ernie Ball factory doesn't have any more capacity[/quote]
Fixed it for you Gareth :)