Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA3500 - what cab?

lloydbent

Hi,
I have a Hartke HA3500, which i love, however im not sure which cab to buy to go with it. Im in a regularly gigging band, so need a decent amount of volume, preferable all 350 watts the amp has to offer.

Any ideas on what would be good would be much appreciated. Also, info on whether i should get a 4x10 or 2x8 etc would be great. This is my first time owning a "proper" bass rig. I'd be looking to spend less than £250 on the cab if possible as money is tight.

Thanks a lot,
Lloyd

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1112742' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:10 PM']If you want something that matches the HA3500, try a 4.5XL (4x10). It's the [i]expensive[/i] one, rather than the transporter series. As they're old school heavy and have been superceded by the Hydrive models, you might score a good second-hand one for sensible money....[/quote]

plus the one! :)

I had one of these, I think it's a great amp and actually I'm wondering if I was sensible to sell it.

I used it with an Ashdown MAG 210T and an Ashdown MAG 115T. This worked really well and you can often pick these up pretty cheap on eBay or here. They're also light, which is something to think about if you don't have roadies.

In terms of volume, I used both cabs on larger gigs, which gives you a 4ohm load, and never got the master volume beyond 10 o'clock. No problem being heard over a Marshall powered guitarist and drummer with a big kit. On smaller gigs and rehearsals I used whichever cab I felt like and never had problem with volume. I had the HA3500 with solid state and tube gain both set at about 12 o'clock.

The main thing that put me off a 4x10 is having all that weight to lift in 1 cab. Also if you went for a Mag 4x10, it's rated 8ohms, so I guess you'd only be getting 250W out of it.

If you want to get all the performance from yr amp, as well as looking at ohmage (yr amp will put out its full power at 4 ohms, less at 8 ohms, prob around 200ish watts), look at the db sensitivity. Difference from a 97db cab to a 103dc cab with the same ohmage will be significant, from what I`ve read on here.

+1 to the Hartke XL cabs though - a great piece of kit.

These would be well within price, and get all the performance from the amp.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121235"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121235[/url]

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1112798' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:43 PM']Difference from a 97db cab to a 103dc cab with the same ohmage will be significant, from what I`ve read on here.[/quote]
That would be a valid point if you could trust the manufacturers' specifications. Unfortunately, most of them are not very honest here. Efficiency is closely related to cabinet size, at least below 200Hz where it counts. A good big 'un and all that .....

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1112762' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:23 PM']I had one of these, I think it's a great amp and actually I'm wondering if I was sensible to sell it.

I used it with an Ashdown MAG 210T and an Ashdown MAG 115T. This worked really well and you can often pick these up pretty cheap on eBay or here. They're also light, which is something to think about if you don't have roadies.

In terms of volume, I used both cabs on larger gigs, which gives you a 4ohm load, and never got the master volume beyond 10 o'clock. No problem being heard over a Marshall powered guitarist and drummer with a big kit. On smaller gigs and rehearsals I used whichever cab I felt like and never had problem with volume. I had the HA3500 with solid state and tube gain both set at about 12 o'clock.

The main thing that put me off a 4x10 is having all that weight to lift in 1 cab. Also if you went for a Mag 4x10, it's rated 8ohms, so I guess you'd only be getting 250W out of it.[/quote]

+1 on the 210T, works the 3500 very open but tight. I run a VX115 underneath as I like a bit of warmth and found the aluminium cones too bright

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Defo' post='1141041' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:07 PM']+1 on the 210T, works the 3500 very open but tight. I run a VX115 underneath as I like a bit of warmth and found the aluminium cones too bright[/quote]
get yourself the new hartke 4 10 hydrive, it's light on wheels and very punchy, thats what i use with my ha3500

Best tone and weight is the Hydrive 410, compact size (for a 410) and can be had for around £300 secondhand ( but worth it).

410XL heavy but compact size with great tone, silly cheap secondhand. I had one for 15 years, built to last and loved it.

4.5XL even bigger and heavier than 410XL. If you need the extra oomph and can carry it, and need a big 410 this is the best choice.

But IMO a 410XL is a better cheap choice/compromise, and you won't look silly using it in a small venue.

I've got a Hartke VX210 and an Ashdown MAG115 linked to my HA350. I'm really impressed with this set-up. The amp is really loud, and the cabs dish out just the sound I'm after. There's good tonal variation with this amp and the 210/115 speaker config works well with it.
I'm playing mainly rock/metal/blues and I'm being serious when I say I rarely have it above '4' on the power and 50% on the pre-amps. I sometimes go through the PA but to be honest its a beast and unless its a big venue, I don't bother.
The band loves the sound, and I've had some good comments from some of the audiences... so - result. It gets my vote.
I've rehearsed only tonight with a friends set up HA 350 through a Hartke 410 ( aluminium cone version..) and it sounded good, but to be honest, my set-up sounds much better.

C

[quote name='Sparky Mark' post='1195202' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:06 AM']Best tone and weight is the Hydrive 410, compact size (for a 410) and can be had for around £300 secondhand ( but worth it).

410XL heavy but compact size with great tone, silly cheap secondhand. I had one for 15 years, built to last and loved it.

4.5XL even bigger and heavier than 410XL. If you need the extra oomph and can carry it, and need a big 410 this is the best choice.

But IMO a 410XL is a better cheap choice/compromise, and you won't look silly using it in a small venue.[/quote]

+ 1 for what he said ... or if you want to keep some cash on hand, have a look at this:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127451"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127451[/url]

Edited by perogato

I take it your bass has no PA support?
I'd go for either a 2x10 or 1x15 8Ω cab & then add a 2nd identical one stacked vertically.
I wouldn't worry about trying to get the full 350 watts out your head to one cab as no one will notice the difference at a gig.
Have a look in the "cabs for sale" on here.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1112762' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:23 PM']I had one of these, I think it's a great amp and actually I'm wondering if I was sensible to sell it.

The main thing that put me off a 4x10 is having all that weight to lift in 1 cab. Also if you went for a Mag 4x10, it's rated 8ohms, so I guess you'd only be getting 250W out of it.[/quote]

+1, Ashdown mag cabs for anyone on a budget (or not even) sound amazing, loads of handling, amazing tone, don't bust the bank balance, I ran my hartke 3500 through a 410 most of the time until I got the 810 version. Ashdown cabs are without a doubt the way forward. Never been a great fan of their heads though