Why become a member? ×

Best pickups to give a Jazz more presence/authority?

Clarky

[b]Clarky[/b]

When Kent Armstrong had his operation down in Kent he made pups for everyone and it was an education to talk to him about that side of the business.

I would talk to his son about what you are after. At least it may be a little less that hit and hope, as as far as I can see this is a bit of a black art that we can't really determine how it will all work out. But he would have more clue that most. I expect Wizard to know the same sort of thing about pup characteristics.

Clarky.

Ive got a set of Wizard 74's lying around at home. Your welcome to borrow the for a while. Im not selling them as i plan on using them in the future but no idea when that will be.
They certainly have a bit more mid punch than any other Jazz pups ive had, and i too got them to get a bit closer to the P "presence in the mix" tone.
After speaking with Andy he recommended the 84's but i felt they lost a bit too much sparkle and did sound a bit dark. . The 74's seem to keep the punch and low mids but brought a bit more sparkle back.
Im not sure they really made it to P level (how could they) but it certainly got the bass a bit more up front in the mix with more kick and thicker lower mids.

PM if you want them.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1110918' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:07 PM']Clarky.

Ive got a set of Wizard 74's lying around at home. Your welcome to borrow the for a while. Im not selling them as i plan on using them in the future but no idea when that will be.
They certainly have a bit more mid punch than any other Jazz pups ive had, and i too got them to get a bit closer to the P "presence in the mix" tone.
After speaking with Andy he recommended the 84's but i felt they lost a bit too much sparkle and did sound a bit dark. . The 74's seem to keep the punch and low mids but brought a bit more sparkle back.
Im not sure they really made it to P level (how could they) but it certainly got the bass a bit more up front in the mix with more kick and thicker lower mids.

PM if you want them.[/quote]
Thats very kind Dave. I am tempted, though, to get something a bit beefier (like 84s or DiMarzio Model J) which reminds me I need to drop a message to Andy at Wizard

While i cant really say that the 84's were beefier, i have found that the bass also makes a difference. The 74's sound more mellow in my Squier CV than they did in another bass, so i would think the 84's were probably the right pups for me in the first place, just in the wrong bass.

Good luck.

Im sure Gaff will be in here at some point. He has a Wizard Gaffer (i think thats what its called) Its a split coil in a Jazz pup case. I believe Andy has given up on trying to produce these but he might be able to knock one out (lol) for you.
Worth asking him IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Clarky' post='1111955' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:03 AM']"Whatever we suggest I don't think you'll get the Precision balls, especially if you wish to retain the Jazz character as well.
84s may help but sadly we couldn't gaurantee it."[/quote]
Him speaketh the truth.

If there REALLY was a J pickup that sounded - and felt - like a P pickup, we'd all know about it. It would be plastered all over here, and TB. You wouldn't have to ask!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1111958' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:16 AM']Him speaketh the truth.

If there REALLY was a J pickup that sounded - and felt - like a P pickup, we'd all know about it. It would be plastered all over here, and TB. You wouldn't have to ask![/quote]

True... had this conversation with Martin Sims and he gets round all the sounds by having a huge pick up block.
It is the positioning of the pups that contribute so much..esp P-bass, IMO.

At the risk of seeming extremely thick here, given everyone seems to accept that J's have less presence than P's in a noisy rock setting, how come countless loud rock bands have happily used J basses (Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zep, Judas Priest etc)????

[quote name='Clarky' post='1112041' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:32 AM']At the risk of seeming extremely thick here, given everyone seems to accept that J's have less presence than P's in a noisy rock setting, how come countless loud rock bands have happily used J basses (Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zep, Judas Priest etc)????[/quote]

Personally i think its more a tradition to use a P in Punk and Rock rather than a need.

FYI, based on comments above and the poll, I've just ordered a set of Dimarzio Model J pickups (the black set, not the cream ones, although I was tempted!) and will let you know how I get on with these. Either way I think the Bacchus pickups were a bit weak so something needed doing

[quote name='JTUK' post='1112035' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:24 AM']It is the positioning of the pups that contribute so much..esp P-bass, IMO.[/quote]
I'm not convinced by this argument (which seems to be commonly held). I think the position of the pickup mainly affects the amount of low end it generates. The design of the pickup itself seems to have a much greater influence on its character. The difference between the P and Jazz is probably down to the geometry of the coil, for example.
If you don't believe me, listen to a Strat. Three pickups in quite different positions, each one sounding just like a Strat.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1109721' date='Jan 31 2011, 05:12 PM']There is a major issue here that perhaps I should have mentioned earlier, Chris. Mrs Clarky

She likes my seafoam green Bacchus Jazz more than any bass I have ever owned (and there's been loads!) because of the colour. She has even given it a name which I will not use ("Minty"). I am banned from selling it ever and thus I want to get the most out of it![/quote]

Buy a seafoam Precision and bin the Jazz. Problem solved. Shouldn't be a problem for an experienced trader like yourself.

Think its also a case of style as well. If the style of the bass in the band is holding down root notes, and providing a platform to work on, P-Bass every time. If however the bass has a more active role with the melodies, the articulation of the Jazz helps put this across, without the force of the P-Bass. There are of course exceptions to this, Bruce Foxton for example.

I've got a fretless Overwater J5, filled with Bartolini goodness.. dunno the model, but being a 5-string that narrows the choice down as I know the 4-string daul-coil J Barts have a gap in the middle.
This bass has pretty much got rid of that unshiftable feeling that, even though I don't actually WANT one, I really SHOULD have a fretless P-bass. :)

[quote name='stevie' post='1112075' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:55 AM']I'm not convinced by this argument (which seems to be commonly held). I think the position of the pickup mainly affects the amount of low end it generates. The design of the pickup itself seems to have a much greater influence on its character. The difference between the P and Jazz is probably down to the geometry of the coil, for example.
If you don't believe me, listen to a Strat. Three pickups in quite different positions, each one sounding just like a Strat.[/quote]

I tend to agree with this. Ive seen basses like Sandbergs and Nordstrands where the two halves of the P pup are in the reversed position, so the D and G coil is nearer the neck. It still sounds like a P.

No data to back that up though.

• 1 month later...