Why become a member? ×

5 string tuning

smashie

Hi,

I've been thinking about a 5 string for a while now, pretty sure it's going to be a Precision American standard.

But what I'm struggling with is tuning, B-E-A-D-G or E-A-D-G-C with a hipshot for drop D?

I know this is subjective but I was curious as to what you lot do?

Cheers,

M

[quote name='smashie' post='1108140' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:01 PM']Hi,

I've been thinking about a 5 string for a while now, pretty sure it's going to be a Precision American standard.

But what I'm struggling with is tuning, B-E-A-D-G or E-A-D-G-C with a hipshot for drop D?

I know this is subjective but I was curious as to what you lot do?

Cheers,

M[/quote]

I tune mine standard B-E-A-D-G the reason being that I started playing 5 string for the low B.

I see the The Xtender as a tool not as a substitute for lower strings but thats just me!

I would always be a B-G guy because i use the lower notes alot (Though i play a 6 so i have both :))

If you want the most flexibility go for the E-C + xtender,

Just think about what you would use each for etc

You could always get the new double xtender and have the E-C then drop to D THEN B haha, though i don't know if they are out yet or if anyone here has tried one

Hope that helps?

I have only had a five for a little under a week, but I have been tuning B E A D G. But since a lot of guitarists seem to insist on drop D tuning and playing riffs that require a ringing low D and high D (listen to a tool song for examples of this type of playing), I'm probably going to need a low open D anyway.

I will probably end up tuning A D A D G. It looks stupid written down but I have found it makes more sense fingering wise than say B D A D G. Obviously I bought the five string for the low B and the rest, I'm not sure I would find much use for a high C string outside of bedroom soloing. I would personally say that if I was lucky enough to own a five string P bass, I would feel obliged to have the option of a low B. Depends on what you want to play though, there are no real right or wrong answers.

low B for me.

I use a d-tuner in most of my 4-string basses, but it's not a substitute for a low B. Usually I drop to D not so much for the extra couple of notes but because the fingering makes sense when playing certain things.

That's why I would like a d-tuner in my 5-string basses too. But so far no luck... I contacted Hipshot and suggested replacing a couple of tuners for their "lite" versions and a "lite" d-tuner would work... but I wasn't given a "for sure", rather a "might", so I haven't experimented yet.

I go for E-A-D-G-C. It extends range, also helps with positioning (less movement on neck).

I don't really like low B string' sound in 'upper register' - notes are too boomy/mushy, and that's something to do with strings gauge I think.

Also, you don't really need a D-tuner or anything like that to have those 'low notes' - just get the octaver, and you'll have that 'B string effect' fully at your command - that's the same thing I'm about to do (to get EBS octaver - because it's clean)

So, I don't really see any disadvanteges of E-A-D-G-C, hooked up with octaver.

I actually bought my first 5 string with the intention of stringing it with a high C, as i was into solo pieces and the time and wanted to experiment with chords more.

Obviously the bass came strung with a low B.

10 years later i still haven't got round to it.... :)

Low B all the way! :)

I like the high C option but have a lot more use for a low B,so that's the way I go. The only time
that I really like the extended upper range is if I'm soloing,but even then,with a two octave 'board it's
no big deal. Other than that,I don't really need that range and I've got no problem shifting higher up the
neck if I need to.

Oh, and don't forget that E-C opens you new possibilities on voicing chords - well, it's not everyone's cuppa tea, but, then again, I'm a sucker for someone's like Janek Gwizdala's approach to playing and voicing stuff, so I couldn't get away with different tuning anyway..

I'm an E-C person.

I used to own a few 6 string basses as I figured why waste time just getting the low B and not have the high C option as well. But the more I played the 6ers the more I realised the low B (for me) was nothing more than a thumb rest.

Ofcourse it all depends on the music you're playing and what you need. Think about what you need for the type of music or the style of your playing and choose appropriately.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1108488' date='Jan 30 2011, 07:09 PM']I don't really like low B string' sound in 'upper register' - notes are too boomy/mushy, and that's something to do with strings gauge I think.[/quote]

Yeah I noticed that today, no idea what the strings were, round wound (normally use flat or ground wounds). I thought it was me, probably was to be fair :)

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='1108153' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:16 PM']I tune mine standard B-E-A-D-G the reason being that I started playing 5 string for the low B.[/quote]
What makes you think that B to G is standard? Originally 5-strings were always tuned E to C, it was only when some manufacturers suggested that an alternative B to G tuning was possible that players adopted it.

[quote name='smashie' post='1108625' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:32 PM']Yeah I noticed that today, no idea what the strings were, round wound (normally use flat or ground wounds). I thought it was me, probably was to be fair :)[/quote]

I think they all are.
I mostly tend to use mine as a transition to 'somewhere else'.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1108643' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:46 PM']What makes you think that B to G is standard? Originally 5-strings were always tuned E to C, it was only when some manufacturers suggested that an alternative B to G tuning was possible that players adopted it.[/quote]

I would say that nowaday's it's the standard tuning for a 5 string. That's what makes me think it, and going by most of the comments on this topic that seems to be the case.