Why become a member? ×

'easy' Songs That Turn Out To Fox You

Marvin

This might have been done not so long ago, I can't remember :lol:

But.

Holiday by GreenDay. :) Why is this song giving me so much trouble? It's not difficult. Is it? Perhaps I've just not the 'feel' for it but I seem to balls up that catchy bass bit - that's right the really simple sounding bit.

Ever had one them yourself?

Come and join the shame :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1102164' date='Jan 25 2011, 02:21 PM']This might have been done not so long ago, I can't remember :lol:

But.

Holiday by GreenDay. :) Why is this song giving me so much trouble? It's not difficult. Is it? Perhaps I've just not the 'feel' for it but I seem to balls up that catchy bass bit - that's right the really simple sounding bit.

Ever had one them yourself?

Come and join the shame :)[/quote]
Exactly the same experience with Holiday - Green Day are a very deceptive band. Their stuff sounds so easy, but getting the exact feel is a lot more difficult than it sounds.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1102185' date='Jan 25 2011, 02:40 PM']Exactly the same experience with Holiday - Green Day are a very deceptive band. Their stuff sounds so easy, but getting the exact feel is a lot more difficult than it sounds.[/quote]

I was asked to cover Basket Case and American Idiot for a lad at a jam session and picked those up easily enough. I was noodling around at home and thought I'd have a go at Holiday just to see if the same lad might want a crack at that. Totally different experience, took me about 2 full nights of 'shedding' to get it reasonably right - and I've never been asked to play it for real! I started another thread about When I Come Around (as I've now been asked to cover that for someone else at the same jam session). That one's proving a bit tricky as well.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1102219' date='Jan 25 2011, 03:06 PM']

If you think you know this bassline (and some actually will, of course) listen - [b][i]really [/i][/b]listen - at 0:55 and see how close you've been getting.[/quote]
...and a topical reminder as we hurtle towards 31 January! :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1102185' date='Jan 25 2011, 02:40 PM']Exactly the same experience with Holiday - Green Day are a very deceptive band. Their stuff sounds so easy, but getting the exact feel is a lot more difficult than it sounds.[/quote]

[quote name='KevB' post='1102209' date='Jan 25 2011, 02:58 PM']I was asked to cover Basket Case and American Idiot for a lad at a jam session and picked those up easily enough. I was noodling around at home and thought I'd have a go at Holiday just to see if the same lad might want a crack at that. Totally different experience, took me about 2 full nights of 'shedding' to get it reasonably right - and I've never been asked to play it for real! I started another thread about When I Come Around (as I've now been asked to cover that for someone else at the same jam session). That one's proving a bit tricky as well.[/quote]

I'd put my problems down to just not being very good, but sometimes it's just finding the feel. And you don't know how relieved I am that others have found this one tricky to crack.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1102242' date='Jan 25 2011, 03:28 PM']Holiday I thought was alright.

Monkey wrench we once tried it and failed miserably. I of course got the blame I still reckon the drummer was over complicating the thing.[/quote]

So you can play Holiday. But you said you were the worst bass player on the forum :) :)

Wipers - Return of the Rat.

For some reason, I get stuck in the groove and end up playing something totally different mid-way through.

It's a punk song, and has a maximum of five notes (could this be a [i]complicated[/i] punk song, on that basis?) but somehow my mind wanders, and it foxes me when it really shouldn't.

[quote name='bobbytodd' post='1102427' date='Jan 25 2011, 05:48 PM']my sharona i could play along to the record no problem but when we tried to play it as a band it always went tits up[/quote]

Try playing My Sharona whilst listening to Whip It (Devo) at the same time. It'll do your head in :)

I did think I had a fighting chance with "Holiday", but then the guitarist and singer went for "American Idiot" instead, which I've never felt comfortable with, though we still play it and no one complains. It's not hard exactly, just I don't have that punk feel somehow. Similar problem with The Clash's version of "I Fought the Law", just didn't get it.

Other failures: QOTSA "No One Knows", went wrong somewhere between me and the drummer. Pink's "Try Too Hard", same story.

I can play "White Room" ok. I did think that would be hard.