Why become a member? ×

String Through P Bass For Sixty Quid

neepheid

I spotted a link to this: [url="http://www.suerydercareshop.com/brand/87/Sue_Ryder_Care_Guitars"]http://www.suerydercareshop.com/brand/87/S...er_Care_Guitars[/url]

Charity shop basses with through body stringing for 60 notes? Dare I say it not the ugliest P copy headstock I've ever seen? If it's reasonably well put together then am I the only one struggling to see the down side here?

[quote name='neepheid' post='1100851' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:37 PM']If it's reasonably well put together then am I the only one struggling to see the down side here?[/quote]

Hard to say without playing one.... It certainly looks OK as a starter bass/mod project. I suspect that large headstock might make it a bit neck heavy.

Just has a better look... it's half the original price. Alder body and maple neck!!! For sixty quid?!?!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='neepheid' post='1100851' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:37 PM']I spotted a link to this: [url="http://www.suerydercareshop.com/brand/87/Sue_Ryder_Care_Guitars"]http://www.suerydercareshop.com/brand/87/S...er_Care_Guitars[/url]

Charity shop basses with through body stringing for 60 notes? Dare I say it not the ugliest P copy headstock I've ever seen? If it's reasonably well put together then am I the only one struggling to see the down side here?[/quote]

Perhaps you should ask if it's Doll's House scale :) usually 1/12 I think :)

[quote name='tom1946' post='1100874' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:50 PM']Well I just ordered one from our local SR. Be here by the weekend so I'll report back.[/quote]

Looking forward to that Tom! The wood in the neck and body alone have to be worth sixty quid!

[quote name='Conan' post='1100856' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:41 PM']Hard to say without playing one.... It certainly looks OK as a starter bass/mod project. I suspect that large headstock might make it a bit neck heavy.

Just has a better look... it's half the original price. Alder body and maple neck!!! For sixty quid?!?![/quote]

Headstocks are skinnier than the Fender shape when you see them, the bottom bit doesn't go out as far and they're more streamlined. I'm not a fan of the shape though.

If they did a Jazz in blue i'd have one for £60.

I've only just made the connection with the "Ryder" branding too, took me a while!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1100872' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:49 PM']It's £90 in that shop though, can easy bag a better bass on eBay for that.[/quote]

You reckon? Without even playing one you know that it would be rubbish? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1100882' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:53 PM']You reckon? Without even playing one you know that it would be rubbish? :)[/quote]

I know you can, i got a really nice Jazz for £45!

I've actually seen these in the flesh and quality doesn't look any better than the numerous cheapy PBass copies that float around on eBay, not rubbish (i never said they were - that was your word) but definitely a step down from the Arias/Westfields/Hohners etc i've played.

Do a search on eBay for Bass Guitar, newly listed, BIN, price under £100 for examples of what you can grab if you're lucky.
Keep checking it and it'll turn up a bargain soon enough - i got a German Warwick Fortress for £250 doing this. I also scored a Vintage V940 which needed fixing up for £50, when you take stuff like that into consideration the £90 one in the shop near me doesn't look particularly great. At £60 they are more attractive though.

I got a P Bass copy off eBay for a tenner a couple of years back. Originally it has Richwood on the headstock.
1 piece maple neck with vintage tint
Lake placid blue sparkle finish
White pickguard
Fender style reversed clover leaf tuners
Alder body

Can anyone guess what I did to it yet?
Oh yes...
Stainless steel pickguard (chrome to expensive)
Seymour Duncan SPB-3 pickups
Leo Quan Badass II bridge
Fender headstock logo
F stamped neck plate

Took all my upgrades off of it about a year later and sold it for £60. I know the bass was worth so much more than that though. Still, did me a turn perfectly and I hope the new owner got as much enjoyment from it as me.

Does anyone seriously think these may be worth the plunge? I mean, the alder body (if thats what it actually is) is exactly what I want in the P Basses I use so I may invest in one. and it's for charity...

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1100919' date='Jan 24 2011, 03:27 PM']Does anyone seriously think these may be worth the plunge? I mean, the alder body (if thats what it actually is) is exactly what I want in the P Basses I use so I may invest in one. and it's for charity...[/quote]

When it says "Alder" it doesn't say how many pieces of alder that is! I'd be very surprised if a bass in this price range had a 2 piece body.

That doesn't mean it's any worse (i have a Jazz bitsa at home made from what looks like 2,362,545 pieces of unspecified body wood which is great!) but maybe not everyone's idea of an "alder" bodied PBass and maybe not a selling point.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1100919' date='Jan 24 2011, 03:27 PM']Does anyone seriously think these may be worth the plunge? I mean, the alder body (if thats what it actually is) is exactly what I want in the P Basses I use so I may invest in one. and it's for [b][color="#FF0000"]charidee[/color][/b]...[/quote]

Fixed it for ya ...

One of my neighbours bought an accoustic from SR for £45 and came up and asked me to tune it for him as he didn`t have a tuner. Did the biz, and it stayed in tune for oohh 30 seconds. He has never played before and he asked me what I thought of his new purchase. I gave him my honest opinion, it`s kack, haven`t seen him since!!

£45? I`ve spent more than that on a strap! :)

So, no jam nights in my close!

Having said that, the bass may be dinky doo!

Jez

These were "designed" by Mark Griffiths (Ex Shadows, Everley Brothers) to sell exclusively in the SR shops nationwide. Just very cheap Far East instruments bought in bulk, labelled up as Ryder and punted out for charity. When The Shads reformed last year and toured, Mark used a................Fender Precision. Must be good then!!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1101136' date='Jan 24 2011, 06:07 PM']If they are Stagg quality then they should be good, i've liked some Stagg stuff.[/quote]

Me too, I was a Stagg dealer when I had my shop. Before I closed I bought 3 Bass gigbags, they retail at more than £100 each and are the best I've seen!

As an aside, has anyone heard of the Stagg 'James Nellist' limited edition electro acoustic guitars?
I asked the rep who James Nellist was and he laughed and said that he's an accountant at head office in Germany, they just thought it sounded good on a guitar :)

I'm Tom Anderson and my guitars are exceptional. Well expensive anyway....

Woh - now that's a whole different can of worms. I sort of feel the same but the problem is this - if everyone stops buying them the factory lays workers off.
Which is better - sh*t wages or no wages? Sh*t job or no job? It's a vicious circle. It's probably lesser of the evils though to buy from a charity like this because some of them do monitor the wellbeing of the workers manufacturing the goods & some of the money, hopefully, will be benefitting a good cause.

[quote name='headofire' post='1101409' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:26 PM']Please spare a thought for the wage slaves who make these instruments... I always thought its strange that charities support these super cheap brands. I urge you all not to do the same. and yes i know i'm a miserable sod. Vote with your money guys...[/quote]

[quote name='tazza1' post='1101600' date='Jan 24 2011, 11:43 PM']Woh - now that's a whole different can of worms. I sort of feel the same but the problem is this - if everyone stops buying them the factory lays workers off.
Which is better - sh*t wages or no wages? Sh*t job or no job? It's a vicious circle. It's probably lesser of the evils though to buy from a charity like this because some of them do monitor the wellbeing of the workers manufacturing the goods & some of the money, hopefully, will be benefitting a good cause.[/quote]

or you just stop dealing with them till they fix their workers standards....

examples.... put pressure on the major coffee chains to sell fairtrade..... starbucks (the biggest producer of coffee) now do...
boycott south africa untill they end apatite

and so on...

does this cause them to have no wages and this is bad.... well when they banned slavery in the USA there were a lot of former slaves up in arms about not having work to do..... it's all a bit 'alms for a poor ex-leper'...

I think there is a bit of confusion here.
The big guitar factories in China are ultra modern and working conditions are supposed to be much better now. The rag trade is where your tirades should be directed. Stop buying sweat shop clothes, they are the real losers. :)

[quote name='tom1946' post='1101693' date='Jan 25 2011, 07:08 AM']I think there is a bit of confusion here.
The big guitar factories in China are ultra modern and working conditions are supposed to be much better now. The rag trade is where your tirades should be directed. Stop buying sweat shop clothes, they are the real losers. :)[/quote]

Its maybe all do goody to boycott the said sweet shop output, but unless those workers, who's bosses would have no customers, are given something better like a fair trade job or welfare, then they are worse off due to the boycott

Most of us fuel the trade, and pressure should be put by us all on government and large 1st world companies, but a just a do good boycott agreed at a middle class table over tea won't help, even though it might feel and seem a good thing

Interesting point about guitar factories, I wonder if anyone has any details what conditions are specifically in those brands we use, we should know

Edited by lojo