Why become a member? ×

Suggestion: Enable Tapatalk for iphone, Android, etc.

Stuee

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but already wanting to keep up with the marketplace and other forums/threads, as well as personal messages, while I'm out and about.

Anyone who's done this on an iPhone or other smart phone knows that forums aren't easy to view on a tiny screen - lots of pinching and zooming, and panning about. But there's a better way, and it's free for the forum to enable via a plugin.

The Tapatalk app just calls the forum data rather than whole web pages, and formats it perfectly for the mobile device, making it easier for the user, using less data and taking load off of the server into the bargain.

Please would you guys consider enabling this, as I'm sure many forum members would use it.

Have a wee look-see here: [url="http://www.tapatalk.com/"]http://www.tapatalk.com/[/url]

Cheers, Stuee :)

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1100500' date='Jan 24 2011, 10:15 AM']I've just noticed the app costs £3 so, in my finest Scottish accent, i'm out.[/quote]

No it doesn't, it's £1.79 :) Possibly you saw $3 somewhere?

Guys I know you can use Safari. I'm very adept at zooming in and out and flipping between pages to view pics, etc. But honestly until you've tried a dedicated forum app I don't think you should poo poo it.

Why don't you try the TalkBass app - which is free - and see if you like it?

If you're happy with Safari, carry on with Safari, but as this is free for the forum to implement, I personally would very much appreciate the option to use the app, and I honestly believe there are many others who would too.

Here's a couple of screenshots from the TalkBass app. The formatting is sooo much better, no?

[center] . . .

. . . [/center]

I just tried the Talkbass app - I fiddled about with it for a while to get the hang of it. It's OK, and I can see some of the benefits.

But then I got a topic reply notification email, clicked the link, and... it opened in Safari.

I'm guessing there's no way around that, but it's a dealbreaker for me...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1100625' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:04 PM']I just tried the Talkbass app - I fiddled about with it for a while to get the hang of it. It's OK, and I can see some of the benefits.

But then I got a topic reply notification email, clicked the link, and... it opened in Safari.

I'm guessing there's no way around that, but it's a dealbreaker for me...[/quote]

Yeah it's not perfect yet. I don't know whether Tapatalk differs on this. But having said that, it could be that it's better to use the built in push notifications rather than traditional email alerts.

Either way, for general browsing, reading, pic viewing, posting and personal messaging, the app is still a much better experience in my opinion.

Anyway, getting chucked back into Safari occasionally shouldn't bother you as you like it so much! :) (kidding)

To be clear, I'm not trying to get all the members to use Tapatalk - whoever wants to will try it at their leisure - what I am trying to do is get the admin to enable it for those of us who do want to use it.

So I'm not going to try selling the app any more. But if any admins are listening, I'd appreciate some feedback :)

Cheers, Stuee.

Is the app free to download for phone users ? It seems to be $3 according to their website, I think not many people would really want to use it, might be worth a poll at some point. It's not worth the effort if only a few people want it.

How about installing a mobile theme, rather than relying on a dedicated app? That way, links opening in Safari aren't a problem. IP.Board seems to have a built in mobile theme (as of 3.0) and I'd imagine there are ones available for earlier versions.

OK I'll take this point by point for clarity...
[quote name='Machines' post='1105841' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:52 AM']Is the app free to download for phone users ? It seems to be $3 according to their website, I think not many people would really want to use it, might be worth a poll at some point. It's not worth the effort if only a few people want it.[/quote]
You are correct, it's £1.79 for UK users ($3) which I think a lot of people would pay happily. I already own and love it. The thing is you're not just buying it for BassChat, you can use it with over 12,000 other forums. DoubleBassChat have it going on - if you know any of the guys over there why not ask them about their experiences? Same for the folks at TalkBass.

[quote name='~tl' post='1105850' date='Jan 28 2011, 08:04 AM']How about installing a mobile theme, rather than relying on a dedicated app? That way, links opening in Safari aren't a problem. IP.Board seems to have a built in mobile theme (as of 3.0) and I'd imagine there are ones available for earlier versions.[/quote]
Absolutely! A mobile theme would be great, too. That might do the trick for most people, although I'm still very much behind Tapatalk's extra smartphone-centric functions, such as easily uploading and posting images. So easy to take photos with your phone and upload them straight into a new marketplace post.

Regarding links opening in Safari: Firstly, you can have Tapatalk opening links 'in app' but this is for links located on the forum. For links in emails, yes it is irritating, but it's not an issue that's confined to Tapatalk (and one that would be greatly eased with the mobile theme!). The brilliant eBay app, for e.g., also doesn't launch from regular hyperlinks (although there are special links you can use) - it's an Apple issue. Having said that, if you set up push notifications in place of instant emails there is the potential for reducing this problem further.

[quote name='charic' post='1105884' date='Jan 28 2011, 09:06 AM']The whole site works great on my HTC desire. My advice... ditch the iphone :lol:

Also that talkbass app is an absolute pain to use in my experience.[/quote]
I know you were just being glib, but £1.79 is a lot cheaper than a new phone :)
Sorry I don't have any experience of the Android version, although plenty of people at TalkBass are loving it btw, but personally I have found the TalkBass app a dream to use compared to Safari, and I'm very handy with Safari. Horses for courses I suppose, but as a case in point I don't know many people who prefer to use the full Facebook site over the app, or at least the mobile version.

Thoughts?

P.S. Sorry (again!) for the long post. But I'd really like to give this a fair trial :)

[quote name='Stuee' post='1106012' date='Jan 28 2011, 11:13 AM']...but as a case in point I don't know many people who prefer to use the full Facebook site over the app, or at least the mobile version.[/quote]

Me!! :) Using the browsers I do on my mobile it runs quicker than the app. The mobile version is just a PITA.

I personally wouldn't use the system you are proposing (and probably wouldn't use the mobile theme) but it's definately worth the discussion.

Before my iPhone was stolen (wish i'd bought an android now, noone would steal that! :)) i found personal messages with lots of quotes in a real arse to use...in fact i cant even remember if i was able to scroll down properly in the text window??

Well, I'm going to change my opinion on this... :)

I've stuck with the TB app for a few days, and it really does speed things up and make it more convenient to view subscribed threads, etc.

It's a shame you can't force it to open direct from an email notification, but it's not the end of the world.

So, yes.. it would be a nice-to-have - I would be prepared to pay for it.

• 2 months later...

The same from me.

I am a happy user off the talkbass app.
I also would like to have an app for android.

3$ would be no problem for me.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1116310' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:45 PM']Well, I'm going to change my opinion on this... :)

I've stuck with the TB app for a few days, and it really does speed things up and make it more convenient to view subscribed threads, etc.

It's a shame you can't force it to open direct from an email notification, but it's not the end of the world.

So, yes.. it would be a nice-to-have - I would be prepared to pay for it.[/quote]

I use Tapatalk for a couple of my most used sites - it is a god send. I often use my iPod in the house to avoid booting up the laptop or cause I am wanting a very portable option. Safari is a pain on the iPod compared with Tapatalk. Obviously, like now, I still use a full scale browser when I am on my laptop but would really appreciate the option.

Another forum I use has this mobile theme installed [url="http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?app=portal"]http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?app=portal[/url]

Would the admins be interested in installing it if I paid the $20 for it?

[quote name='peted' post='1211400' date='Apr 26 2011, 07:00 AM']Another forum I use has this mobile theme installed [url="http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?app=portal"]http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?app=portal[/url]

Would the admins be interested in installing it if I paid the $20 for it?[/quote]
I think the forum is about to be upgraded to a new platform... It might be an idea
to hang on until after that.