Why become a member? ×

How do you cope playing live with more than one band?

Thunderthumbs

I'm just wondering......

I play in a covers band, and we're out pretty much every weekend, with the odd mid-week gig too.

I'm always surprised with all the people that refer to "my main band", etc. highlighting that they're in more than one band.

My question is, how do you cope if there ever comes a time when both bands are offered a gig on the same night? Does the "main band" take priority, or do you just honour whichever gig comes in first?

I'd love to do something completely different as a little side project - not that I don't love playing with my band - but I wouldn't want it to also cause friction with my other band members in case they think I'd be giving my attention to something else.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Thunderthumbs

It' not happened for a few years, but my "main" band is a wedding/function band and my "other" band is an originals band.

If there is a clash then I try to do the first one offered, but if it really comes down to neither band wanting to budge I get a dep in the function band :) Thesedays the originals band is quite good at avoiding gigs on dates I already have, my old originals band never saw it in the same light.

first come first served

although other factors such as money and profile can be something to consider.
i play guitar in one band and bass in another so on the two occassions that i've done two in one night, i can send my guitar stuff off to be set up, open with one band and then jump in the car and go to the next gig.

I agree 'first come first served ' is the main rule but, as some bands are rehearsed and some are pick-up bands, sometimes this is compromised for practical reasons. The most just argument is 'first come first served' as this inconveniences less people but, if a prestigious gig some in etc, people are generally approachable but only if you have generally been reliable, commited etc. It is important to let people know whats what from the outset so there are no surprises.

I guess its a case of 'do the right thing'.

What i would consider as my main band is my Originals band, at the moment that doesn't gig half as much as my 'Other' covers band, which is out every friday and saturday every week...........ever lol.

Whenever i have a date that clashes, which is happening more frequently because my originals band is taking off slowly (check Total Guitar this month :) ), i have 3 or so really good Dep bass players who step into the covers band, the band leader doesn't mind because they're good players who get the job done!. If for any reason none of the deps can cover me (which has never happened....touch wood), then i would honor whatever was booked first!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Thank God my other bands/project are all recording projects. I don't think I could survive 2 live acts. Actually I remember I was in two actively gigging bands for a few months. As well as working 9-5 at the time, this one week I had gigs for 4 evenings in one week. I was completely buggered. My boss remarked only on the Tuesday of the following week did I look anything resembling being awake. So my advice... unless you have a lot of free time... DON'T!

First (confirmed) gig in the diary wins ... I organise the wedding/function band and we're booking 18 months ahead sometimes. You just can't let people down so we honour what's in the diary. There's no other way to do it ..

We dep in for our guitarist now and then as he is in 2 other bands as well but we have a regular dep who also plays as the extra member of the band now and then for special events ...

I've got one like this coming up soon. I just asked if my other band could play, too. Then again on that one there are several bands playing, in a wedding or something you couldn't do that... lucky we're not good enough to play weddings.

I'm looking for a second band to gig with. I'm in a punky covers band and the guitarist plays in other bands and does solo stuff so I couldn't see it being a problem. As things stand we are doing open mic nights and informal gigs so its more like a part time band. The only problem I can see is rehearsal times more than gigs.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='125737' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:10 PM']The diary is king... first com, first served.

Thankfully, both bands have a dep should there be a catastrophic clash...[/quote]

Does dep short for deputy? Excuse me ignorance... just wanted to know.

I play a bit of improvised bass with a singer songwriter but the gigs are far and few between and rehearsals non existent so that takes very little time. I rehearsed a set of covers, again just improvising to the chords, for a gig with another guy who wanted to augment his rather basic guitar playing then I got flu and couldn't do the gig Doh! But my real focus is on two bands. A knockabout covers band doing mates weddings and local pubs/halls (which won't progress to the next stage because they won't all do exactly what I tell them!) and an originals band which I love as I have a great rapport with the songwriter and a comfortable musical relationship with the drummer.
How to juggle commitments? I believe you decide which is your priority (this should be instinctively apparent) and everything else must be subservient to that band. You must remain constantly sensitive to your priority band and be 100% certain that there is no question in their minds where your ultimate loyalty lies.
First come first served for gigs and the musicians rule is you never blow out a gig but if something really 'make or break' important came up for my main band and I had other stuff booked I would have to blow the other stuff.

[quote name='stewblack' post='126105' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:17 PM']I believe you decide which is your priority (this should be instinctively apparent) and everything else must be subservient to that band. You must remain constantly sensitive to your priority band and be 100% certain that there is no question in their minds where your ultimate loyalty lies.[/quote]
I think in my mind, that'd be my answer. Our drummer is also an excellent jazz drummer, and if he seriously wanted to push for a career in that, I certainly wouldn't stand in his way. On the other hand, I have made my feelings known when he booked a gig with another band without any regard for us. Since that occasion, it hasn't happened again. I think my feelings just had to be made known, and we understand one another very well, as he's like a younger brother to me.

I think to get the enjoyment out of whatever else I wanted to do, it would have to be known to whoever I worked with that my covers band is my priority, and the guys in the covers band must trust me implicitly too. I'm just not the kind of person to let people down, unless I'm really ill or something.