Why become a member? ×

Slow, fractile browsing anyone else experiencing this?

Grand Wazoo

For the last 3 or 4 days I am experiencing some delays in viewing this forum. When I click on the url from my favourites it just hangs in there for a good 20 seconds and doesn't load the forum unless I repeatedly click F5. Even once I am in it takes delays in opening / viewing a thread.

Now I am not experiencing this with any other forum so it can't be a problem related to my set up / pc / broadband etc. I have even run a complete troubleshoot routine deleting and even defragged my hard disc but the problem still remains.

I'd just like to know if I am alone in this or is everyone else experiencing this too?

Has the forum database FTP server reached its top capacity perchance and we are struggling for memory or something? You could gain some memory by culling on registered users that have been idle for more than say 2 years cause they're good as gone, I think... or perhaps remove topic older than so many years? Is that what the problem is?

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='pete.young' post='1086212' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:56 PM']I've been noticing this on and off for the last couple of days too. 15-20 seconds delay to load random pages and 'waiting for basschat.co.uk' displayed in the status bar. Doesn't sound a lot, but it's not happening anywhere else.[/quote]

At least I am not the only one noticing this, I thought I was going crazy. Oh well.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1086188' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:36 PM']Certainly nothing I've experienced or had any reports of...

I'll check with the powers that be and make sure there hasn't been anything happening in the background!

Shep[/quote]

Any news, this is still slow for me, thanks

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1086659' date='Jan 12 2011, 01:33 PM']Any news, this is still slow for me, thanks[/quote]

Hiya bud,

Sorry for the late reply... Long day!

Admins report nothing going on and we can't track anything down that could be causing it. I keep an eye on it over the next day or two though...

[quote name='Machines' post='1087330' date='Jan 12 2011, 10:17 PM']Try another browser (Chrome/Firefox etc), does problem still occur ? Also what speed connection are you on, is it going through a wireless or 3G link ? Are any other sites slow ? It's super quick for me.[/quote]

I have a Virgin optic fiber top of the range fast broadband 50K not wireless, not 3G, no similar issue with other websites / forum, as I have mentioned in the original post, I only get this with BC. Either on firefox, safari ie, please note I am not the only one, someone else said they are having the same issue.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've had this problem on:
iPhone with Safari over 3G, Wi-Fi, and Edge
iPad with Safari over Wi-Fi
iMac with latest Safari over broadband (wired)
Powerbook G4 with latest Firefox over broadband (Wi-Fi)

Crappy work Dell with ancient Internet Explorer over dodgy Gov internet connection, so I discount that one..

The simple fact that it is not slow for everyone means it is not a server load issue. It could be a routing issue between your section of the ISP and the BC data centre. Hard to actually do anything about - how long has it been an issue ?

[quote name='Machines' post='1087544' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:18 AM']The simple fact that it is not slow for everyone means it is not a server load issue. It could be a routing issue between your section of the ISP and the BC data centre. Hard to actually do anything about - how long has it been an issue ?[/quote]

about 4 - 6 days including today

I've had this problem for months when accessing Basschat at home (decent PC running Vista, using Firefox over a good hi-speed broadband). The only website where this happens to me is Basschat.

Now I'm finally properly back at work (decent laptop running the latest Windows, using IE over a corporate hi-speed broadband), I've noticed that it doesn't happen here.

Hmmmm.

I'm wondering if this is a Firefox//Basschat interface issue?

Edit: Just re-read Michael's post (above) - so it's not as simple as blaming Firefox. Drat.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='drewm' post='1088062' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:36 PM']When it stalls, does any aspect of the page load? Do you e.g. get the page title in the window title bar, or any of the page loading at all?[/quote]

I sometimes get just the forum header which is the big black band with the basschat logo on the left and that jazz bass on the right and every thing else is blank, other times just a blank screen with the url search line on top.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1088073' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:44 PM']I sometimes get just the forum header which is the big black band with the basschat logo on the left and that jazz bass on the right and every thing else is blank, other times just a blank screen with the url search line on top.[/quote]

That sounds like the page load could be blocking on the ads. i.e. perhaps it's not a basschat server issue at all, but the ad servers failing to respond and preventing the page from loading.

Obviously, basschat relies on revenue from the ads so I wouldn't recommend it long term, but it would be interested to test browsing the site with an ad-blocker enabled in your browser to see if that makes any difference.

Ok, so I've begun noticing this a few times myself today, so I've been browsing with a profiler running.

The latency I'm seeing is purely the ads. As they're inline JavaScript, the page is blocked until they finish loading. If the ad servers are slow or don't respond at all, the page stops and waits.

One way the site mods could combat this would be to place the ad JavaScript at the end of the page, and then use the site's own JavaScript to shift them back up to the top once everything has loaded. That way, if there's a delay in loading the ads, page rendering is halted way down the bottom where no one will notice or care.

That's all presuming the problems I'm seeing are the same as the ones you are.