Why become a member? ×

Greg Lake in Bass player

arthurhenry

Just reflecting on the second comment thinking about my own playing, I almost always kill the note on a snare hit.

The first comment imo is a half truth, there's a difference between the instrument 'bass' and the role 'bass', there's no reason that either has to be exclusive to the other (and likewise, no reason they shouldn't be).

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1081485' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:20 PM'](Bass) "is a supplementary instrument."[/quote]

Yep - I'd go along with that although 'supporting' perhaps better describes it.
I've always said that bass is there to 'glue' the drums to the tune and to enhance whatever else is going on.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1081485' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:20 PM']"As a bass player, you can't play when the drummer hits the snare, you have to stop." ???[/quote]
Absolute tosh!
If it's an accurate quote and not taken out of context, then, frankly, I'm staggered.

I think you're taking his comment out of context, I'm pretty sure he means the cut off for the note you're currently playing should usually come on the snare, which is something that happens (usually) anyway when you play another note or re-articulate the same note. Rolling 8ths and Disco octave licks both have a note being cut off on the snare hits and its something that I've witnessed many players doing subconsciously, just because it feels right.

I've read articles on studio players where they talk about cutting the note off to allow the snare to pop through.So I get what he's saying there.

As far as bass being a supplementary instrument,for him(and others) it still is.Let's be honest,in certain situations the bass is still used for plodding root notes or doubling riffs an octave lower.Then it is supplementary to the guitars and drums.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082313' date='Jan 8 2011, 05:07 PM']Who is Greg Lake?[/quote]

I actually saw a bit of a recent show on TV and it was even more drivel that when they were big..way back when..??
Carl Palmer still sounded in reasonable nick but that was about all you could say about the gig, IMV.

You have to measure these things against a pension fund top-up for these old boys on the one hand, and the fact that most haven't kept up with their playing very well and it is a big damp squid.
Plus we have all moved on...hopefully...so not often do these come off with any musical credit.

Having said that..if I were in that position and the money was there..I might be tempted as well.

But yep..all in all..pure utter tosh in all regards, IMO. :)

Edited by JTUK