Why become a member? ×

Transporting the damn thing

ZMech

Hey all

Well i've being playing double bass for a couple of months now, and have kind of avoided the question of what i'm going to do if i have to take my DB further than i can carry it. So I was wondering what you guys do for long distance stuff. I definitely can't fit it in the back of a hatchback, which is what all of my student mates have, and i'm not sure how many saloons would fit one either. I thought i'd ponder this question before I actually have to try and do it, so there's no hurry.

So, any ideas?

p.s. I think i understand the appeal of an EUB now.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='Legion' post='1080792' date='Jan 7 2011, 10:14 AM']My car has the least practical amount of space ever (old BMW 3 series coupe) but my DB always managed to sit on the passenger seat space with the seat as far back/down as it would go. End pin in the footwell, scroll over the headrest.
Worth a try?[/quote]

+1 Plux's fits on the passenger seat of my old BMW 3 series too....

I regularly carry my bass in a 3-door fiesta, either in the passenger seat with the scroll in the footwell, or with half the back seat down and the scroll between the two front seats. Unless it's a smart car or an old mini, you can probably get it in. Buses or trains are usually workable, and it fits in a black cab too!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1080804' date='Jan 7 2011, 10:31 AM']I've had a bass in a micra... with a piano player with his kbd and amp[/quote]

need pics of that, or it didn't happen :)

I'm lucky enough to have a small van. just wish I was of a standard to need to transport my DB to anywhere except lessons

I've had a double bass in a Micra. It'll go in anything, however small, as long as there is a rear opening. Coupes are good because their two doors are usually wider than a four-door. In fact, the question should be phrased what car [i]can't [/i]you get a double bass in. Porsche Cayman perhaps not.

When I started out I had a little Standard Ten (my first car) and the bass went on the roof. Doesn't bear thinking about.

All these suggestions are good in my experience, I also regularly hire a Ford Ka, and the double bass fits in just fine, as Doddy suggests. Plenty room also for a 1x10 combo, stool bag, and some other bits and pieces, and a passenger.

I live in a city centre flat without a parking space so it is expensive/impractical to own a car. Because of this I either use public transport, which is surprisingly ok, or hire a car where necessary and the gig pays well. You can hire a small car for about £20 per day, thus the experience with the Ford Ka in the above paragraph.

I've also had other small cars, such as the new mini, which also worked fine, and was able to accomodate a keyboard player and his keyboard as well. A five door Corsa is really good, and when you get into longer cars such as a Mondeo it works really well.

Jennifer

I find my MG ZS takes it perfectly if I drop down the back seats and have the headstock slightly over my handbrake. I have also got it in my wife's VW Fox with the passenger seat reclined back fully coming in from the boot. It's just a case of being persistant and looking at a problem logically.

Bizarrely my singers old upright bassist used to go around London on the tube with his on the shoulder straps which is impressive to say the least!

My first car was an early 90's VW Polo - it was tiny. I could get my upright, an electric, a Hartke 2x10 cab and 2U head, and also take a passenger in the front seat. You can get a lot more in a car than you think sometimes. Right now I drive a Ford Focus C-Max, which is a dream for taking gear - or at least was until a baby seat went in!!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1081152' date='Jan 7 2011, 02:54 PM']Bizarrely my singers old upright bassist used to go around London on the tube with his on the shoulder straps which is impressive to say the least![/quote]

I do this on the Glasgow underground, although it is advisable to remove the instrument from your back before boarding the train, or indeed before going through doorways or under low bridges :-)

Avoidance of rush hour is also a good idea, if possible.

I've walked (literally) miles with the DB on my back. It looks more difficult than it actually is, and you find yourself constantly amused with comments about the "big guitar" and so on :-)

Jennifer

wow, seems my worries were somewhat unfounded then. I'll admit i haven't yet tried to fit it in a car, this was more of a pre-emptive thing. Getting 3 in a corsa sounds especially impressive. the only problem i find carrying on my back it is that the back of my legs smack against it with every step, i've considered trying to find a soft case with the straps attached lower down the bass.

[quote name='endorka' post='1081227' date='Jan 7 2011, 03:53 PM']and you find yourself constantly amused with comments about the "big guitar" and so on :-)

Jennifer[/quote]

Same here - my favourite is 'How'd you get that big fiddle under your chin?'. To which my sarcy reply is 'The same way I'd get it up your a$$ - with a lot of effort'.

Or the other classic - 'I bet you wish you played the flute'. My reply - 'Right now I do, so I wouldn't have to listen to that same comment for the thousandth time'.

Yes - Bah HumBug is alive and well after Xmas.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1081477' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:04 PM']My favourite response to "That's a big guitar!" is "That's an original comment".[/quote]

Some chavs were throwing Werthers at me the other day, I thought that was original :)

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1084115' date='Jan 10 2011, 12:30 PM']I can get my DB in my 1972 1303s Beetle, back seat folded down neck out the window.....

It goes in my wife's CRV a LOT easier! :)[/quote]

Can get loads in them old VWs! Our T25 Westfalia will take shedloads.... I'll get my coat :)