Why become a member? ×

New American Special Fenders

Musicman20

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1357486759' post='1923268']
Other than they are 'assembled in the good old USA' this model doesn't have much going for it really.
[/quote]

Ummmmmmm. THey are MUCH cheaper than the Am std series. To my mind that's a good thing going for it.

Just had a look at the prices and for genuine(ish) USA Fender it looks o.k , and if you want a slimmer neck then fine , but for around the same money you could get a Yamaha BB1024X and that will probably ( certainly ) blow one of these basses out of the water for sound , looks and build quality . But it wont sound like a Jazz bass . If that's what you want .

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1357493960' post='1923497']
Ummmmmmm. THey are MUCH cheaper than the Am std series. To my mind that's a good thing going for it.
[/quote]

But why are they so much cheaper I wonder where the savings been made? Are they just Mexican parts assembled in The US? If that's the case why not call them Mexican specials? There's some very good guitars being made in Mexico: Roadworns, Geddy Lees, Marcus Millers, Classic 60 and 70s. I had a classic player strat made in Mexico with US custom shop parts which was better made than an American standard. This smacks of marketing.BUT being a Fender fan I hope they sell a few. Fenders share offer fell flat last year and their last published profit was just over a million dollars which is not much for such a iconic worldwide company. Below is a report about Fender going through hard times From the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/business/fender-aims-to-stay-plugged-in-amid-changing-music-trends.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

When you're buying secondhand, how do you know whether the MIA bass you're buying is an American Special or an American Standard?
[/quote]

Physically I think the neck profile is slightly different ... I think you'd notice if you played them side by side, but playing one of either on their own, some people might struggle to feel the difference.

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1357814602' post='1928720']
Physically I think the neck profile is slightly different ... I think you'd notice if you played them side by side, but playing one of either on their own, some people might struggle to feel the difference.
[/quote]

Yes, the "specials" have a thinner neck profile (certainly the P's do). Otherwsie it's just slghtly different hardware.

When you're buying secondhand, how do you know whether the MIA bass you're buying is an American Special or an American Standard? Looking at the specs the only visible difference would be the bridge and the tuners. At least the HW 1 had a specific selling point with the nitro finish and the posiflex. Other than they are 'assembled in the good old USA' this model doesn't have much going for it really.
[/quote]
The American Specials have a 'American Special' decal on the back of the head :)
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/media_bdbviewer_AR_258878.html?image=6"]http://www.thomann.d...78.html?image=[/url]5

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1357817842' post='1928804']
The American Specials have a 'American Special' decal on the back of the head :)
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/media_bdbviewer_AR_258878.html?image=6"]http://www.thomann.d...78.html?image=[/url]5
[/quote]

Also body not drilled for string through

Well I had a really look and play with both an American Special P and a J, at home, on my rig over the last couple of days. I have to say that these instruments are a significant step up in quality over any MIM Fender I have seen.
THe fit and finish was superb. The (graphite-re-inforced) necks are just beautiful and clearly made with care and precision. Fretwork was immaculate. The fit in the neck pockets of both basses was nice and tight. THe (maple) fingerboards on both basses were of a satin finish and very nicely executed, and simply felt much more refined than any MiM fingerboard I have played.

THe bridges are the standard Amercian Vintage ones, not the high mass ones found on the Am. std series. However, I noticed no lack of punch or resonance and lets face it none of the revered vintage J's or P's have high mass bridges, so it's not something I would personally want to upgrade. The tuners are clearly a slightly cheaper option than the Am.std series, with noticeable machining marks on the blades. Still worked smoothly and effectively though. Again not something I would bother to upgrade

The P bass was particularly light (still an alder body though. No basswood here).
Tonally, the P bass (the cheaper honeyburst FSR one) was probably the nicest sounding bass I have EVER played. I have been so close to keeping it. I just can't make myself get on with the P neck (which is still fairly slim and narrow for a P). There has been a lot of soul-searching on this decision, and I stil might change my mind ! The punch and clarity on this bass was simply magnificent. I shall probably always regret not keeping it, but I know that I would always struggle with the neck.
Despite being of a very high build standard still, the J bass was not quite as magnificant tonally. Still very good, but not quite up to the same standard as the P. I am being hyper critical here, as I am comparing it to my CIJ '75 re-issue with Fralins. I still think this J is great value for money (just over £700 from THomann) and a significant upgrade from a MIM.
COmparing both of these basses to a (Mexican made) FSR sea foam green PJ bass I played yesterday, the difference in quality and fit and finish was clear, in neck pocket tightness, neck and fret finish and in tone.
Ultimately I will not be keeping either of these basses, although if the P had the neck of the J, I would keep it in a heartbeat. Some folks are bound to respond with the idea of swapping out the neck for a J neck, but I am on a reasonably tight budget and there is, of course, no guarantee that a different neck will reproduce that magnificent tone.
Anyway, just thought I would share my experiences with you all.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1358068711' post='1932446']
I noticed the cheaper FSR one. What does that mean? Are the the same as the normal American Specials?
[/quote]

FSR = Fender Special Run. A limited number run of a certain model. In this case it's a varnished honeyburst natural wood finish. A slightly less expensive finish to produce than the poly finishes, so a little cheaper. Identical to the normal American Specials in every other way.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1294277819' post='1079413']
Looks like it. I prefer the new name anyway. I wonder if they would ever make them as a five string? Doubt it though.
[/quote]

Have you tried them? I know when i did last year they felt hell'a small anyway, i dare to think what a 5'er would feel like :-/

On the other hand, about time for Fender to make a "Highway 1" 5 string?? maybe a chance to market a budget 5 string Precision too?

BSB

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1294315516' post='1079702']
Buy used - my most expensive MIA Precision was £550.

Which was nice.
[/quote]

i agree with lozz - buy used - unless you want one of these [url="http://www.coda-music.com/fender-pawn-shop-bass-black-p-14639.html"]http://www.coda-music.com/fender-pawn-shop-bass-black-p-14639.html[/url]

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1358123156' post='1933647']
Have you tried them? I know when i did last year they felt hell'a small anyway, i dare to think what a 5'er would feel like :-/

On the other hand, about time for Fender to make a "Highway 1" 5 string?? maybe a chance to market a budget 5 string Precision too?

BSB
[/quote]

I had a quick go an older Highway 1 Jazz. Seemed like a nice enough bass. I like the look of these models but haven't tried one yet. If I was shopping for another bass I would definitely consider one, alongside the Blacktop P bass which just looks fun.

A Highway 1 five string would be a great idea. Quality 'American' Fender five string for a decent price.