Why become a member? ×

Your favourite fretless bass track

Schnozzalee

This has to be my favourite fretless bass recording to date if I take Jaco out of the equation. One of the best Santana songs IMHO, made me dip my hand in my pocket to get my Cort A4 defretted by Overwater. That said, i've never transcribed it! I made an attempt 4 years ago and remember giving up because my hi-fi speakers were shot. Tonight I'll be grabbing the sennheiser headphones and giving it another go!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfh3p0qcSLs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfh3p0qcSLs[/url]

What outstanding fretless bass tracks spring to your mind?? No Jaco :) !!

Don Henley - New York Minute Featuring Pino Palladino on fretless.
The Eagles did a great version with Timothy B Scmit too.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3oonOm0Ug&feature=fvsr"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3oonOm0Ug&feature=fvsr[/url]

To me, Bakithi Kumalo is easily the best fretless bass player around. His stuff on Paul Simon's [i]Graceland[/i] and [i]The Rhythm of The Saints[/i] albums is as good as it gets. The best stuff is probably on [i]Graceland[/i], where there was more of a focus on those South African sounds and the bass was a real driving element like it is in Mbaqanga and Zulu pop music.

This is the one for me:

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1074646' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:00 PM']To me, Bakithi Kumalo is easily the best fretless bass player around. His stuff on Paul Simon's [i]Graceland[/i] and [i]The Rhythm of The Saints[/i] albums is as good as it gets. The best stuff is probably on [i]Graceland[/i], where there was more of a focus on those South African sounds and the bass was a real driving element like it is in Mbaqanga and Zulu pop music.

This is the one for me:

[/quote]

I didnt know much about this fella, but yes, I love his stuff on Graceland!!

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1074724' date='Jan 1 2011, 08:28 PM']I didnt know much about this fella, but yes, I love his stuff on Graceland!![/quote]

He's done a few solo albums too which are fairly good, but I wish he'd spent more time working on high profile projects like this. When Paul picked him to do the album he'd never even been in a studio before!

OOOOOHHHH

Tough call between him and Giblin in my book..... both outstanding!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1074731' date='Jan 1 2011, 08:33 PM']Easy - that'd be Eberhard Weber on Kate Bush's Mother Stands For Comfort:

Not sure if he's playing fretless bass guitar or an upright on this, but gorgeous playing all the same.

Jon.[/quote]

[quote name='BassBus' post='1074766' date='Jan 1 2011, 09:18 PM']Two of my favourites. Neither of them particularly known for their fretless playing.

[/quote]

I've always preferred Marcus' playing when he's on a fretless bass. But I'd say Alain is definitely well known for his fretless playing and his incredible intonation.

Toss up between "everytime you go away" with Pino at the helm, or "Family Business" from Fish's first solo album - John Giblin. I love Primus and Claypool too, but these guys just make it sing - Les just doesn't do the whole 'lyrical' phrasing or beautiful, tasteful glissando playing that the other two do. Horses for courses though, it's like saying "choose between sex and music" - a well balanced life should contain a healthy dose of both.

Aww wicked! Thanks guys i've got a sod of an assignment to write for University, these should keep me awake until the morning! I love ink illusian by Alain Caron and Michael Manring's enormous room but the rest have yet to be heard! My mum's a massive fan of Paul Young and Kate Bush so maybe i'll recognise those from uncountable car journeys :). Thanks again! Keep em coming!

Quite a few for me but I love these ones for sure,

China Crisis - Christian (No Idea who is playing the bass on this though)

Talk Talk - Tomorrow Started (Paul Webb)

Paul Young - Everytime You Go Away (Pino)

Oleta Adams - Get Here (Pino)

Edited by Linus27

Oh one more before I forget,

Tears For Fears - Woman In Chains

The thing thats really annoying about this song is it is so perfect in every way :) The bass sounds superb and is on a 5 string Warwick. Oleta's voice is just amazing. Not only do the drums sound fantastic but the snare sound is amazing. The harmonies are spot on. Even the female model in the video is good looking. Plus Roland has great hair and a great voice. Its just perfect.

Edited by Linus27