Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootenanny 2010.

neilb

[quote name='RhysP' post='1074251' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:13 AM']Unfortunately she seems to have lost her singing voice too - she sounded like Vic Reeves doing his club singer routine last night .[/quote]
Love that coment......I watched a recording of the show when I got in from my New Years eve gig.......she looked hot,but she sounded crap.......we laughed out loud a couple of times at her antics.........I noticed that the running time of the show was over 2 hours......we fast forwarded most of it......think I managed about 20 minutes........not one of the best line ups.

1st year in ages that I didn't watch. I only found out this year that it's not live and it ruined it all for me! I know it's common knowledge after everyone I've discussed that fact with over the last few weeks has had the same response - "How didn't you know it wasn't live!?"

I really didn't know. I hate the fact they all celebrate and countdown to New Year falsely... And it's filmed mid November! :)

It shouldn't bother me... But it has so much I doubt I'll watch I again!

Is it just me who feels JH does too much "Boogie Woogie"? I watched until 12.15 and then went to bed: there was nothing that made me go "WOW" although enjoyed Rumer and Simple Sisters the most. Kylie sounded weird, like she had lost her voice and replaced it with a squeek...or is that her live voice?

Wasn't thrilled by the line-up... except for Rumer which I could listen to for hours.
I'm no fan of the drummer of the Jools Holland band, I think he's the weakest link in the band. The bass-player holds it together for me.
Interesting to see how an "easy" song like the one by Rumer can be so tough to lay down..
I see bass-virtuoso's every day on youtube but the real challenge is to play something really tight and smooth when it's slow and every note counts..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWA-gYXZiQs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWA-gYXZiQs[/url]

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1074647' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:00 PM']Wasn't thrilled by the line-up... except for Rumer which I could listen to for hours.
I'm no fan of the drummer of the Jools Holland band, I think he's the weakest link in the band. The bass-player holds it together for me.
Interesting to see how an "easy" song like the one by Rumer can be so tough to lay down..
I see bass-virtuoso's every day on youtube but the real challenge is to play something really tight and smooth when it's slow and every note counts..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWA-gYXZiQs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWA-gYXZiQs[/url][/quote]Nice legs!

Dusty lives!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1074601' date='Jan 1 2011, 06:25 PM']1st year in ages that I didn't watch. I only found out this year that it's not live and it ruined it all for me! I know it's common knowledge after everyone I've discussed that fact with over the last few weeks has had the same response - "How didn't you know it wasn't live!?"

I really didn't know. I hate the fact they all celebrate and countdown to New Year falsely... And it's filmed mid November! :)

It shouldn't bother me... But it has so much I doubt I'll watch I again![/quote]

You're not alone I didn't know either. I feel robbed :)

I caught just a few moments between getting back from the pub and falling asleep on the sofa. Very unimpressed. Roger Daltrey made me cringe, Alison Moyet sounded odd and I can't remember the rest.

Lol watching it on repeat now. Got to say there is a lot of picky criticism in this thread. I know it's down to personal taste but surely we can all enjoy and learn something from live performances (yes I know it is pre recorded but you know what I mean) like this.

I've enjoyed most of it. And as for Gilson, IMHO he is one of the finest. Taste, versatility and technique. To say he's a weak link is so wrong, sorry whoever said that but come on, that is so wrong.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1074601' date='Jan 1 2011, 06:25 PM']1st year in ages that I didn't watch. I only found out this year that it's not live and it ruined it all for me! I know it's common knowledge after everyone I've discussed that fact with over the last few weeks has had the same response - "How didn't you know it wasn't live!?"

It shouldn't bother me... But it has so much I doubt I'll watch I again![/quote]

I didn't know that... Sort of defeats the whole point really doesn't it? Saying that, I did notice a slightly iffy edit during one of the interviews which seemed to give the game away a bit.

Musically, a bit too much emphasis on boogie woogie and laid back croonage. Really liking Rumer's stuff, which for me, is worrying. Secret Sisters impressive too, if a bit 'Shining'. Rog good enough.
The highlight for me was when the robot suddenly sprung into life, making Jools visibly sh*t himself.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1074792' date='Jan 1 2011, 09:46 PM']And as for Gilson, IMHO he is one of the finest. Taste, versatility and technique. To say he's a weak link is so wrong, sorry whoever said that but come on, that is so wrong.[/quote]

I think it's spot on- I think he's sh*te. No balls,technique or swing. I regularly play with drummers who blow him in every single way.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1074842' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:44 PM']sh*te? Nope. Personal taste I guess. I think it's the variety that alot would struggle to pull off. He's ideal for that seat I reckon. But what do I know.[/quote]

Difference is that you are a drummer! In fact I still think of you as a drummer rather than a bassist that's how we met a mere 11 years ago.

Guess bassists that don't play drums look for something slighty different. Unfortunately my opinion is with the masses here :)